What's new

The Omega 10108 Boar. An overlooked brush ?

I remebered that the Scapicchio Accademia presented some 10108 brushes made by Omega for them...

264998640_3009101546011012_224547321853354713_n.jpg

Cheers

Because the 10108 shares virtually the same knot dimensions as the Omega Jade (which pummels hard soaps like MWF into submission) I got a white handled 10108 a couple of months ago to try. As is usual with Omega brushes it has broken in quickly and is a delight to use. All in all, a thoroughly impressive economy option to the Jade.

A couple of weeks ago at the back of one of the shelves containing shaving gear that I have bought over the years was a lone unopened Omega 10108 boar brush that I don't remember buying. I have been using it ever since and it has been a pleasant surprise. With a knot diameter of 27mm and a loft of 56mm it is a, for me anyway, rare combination of a larger knot without the higher loft that normally goes with it.

I usually face lather and the brush is large enough to hold plenty of lather without giving it up too readily and the shorter loft makes it less floppy and more controllable so less lather ends up where I don't want it. And all of this at a cheap price and with a rather stylish as well as a comfortable handle. What's not to like ? And yet it hardly ever gets talked about.

proxy.php

As LOTH here says, ‘Sometimes the closet is the best place to shop!’ :a29:

You guys are going to get me into trouble. After reading the glowing reviews of this brush, I ordered two, one with a boar knot and one with a synthetic knot.

Omega 10108.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve got the Italian Flag, it’s the same diameter, but just a little more loft (3mm) and it’s one of my favorites! So incredibly soft and mountains of lather from a bowl. If you like the 10108, I strongly recommend purchasing Omega Jade boar from Connaught. It’s the same 27mm diameter but much shorter loft, in a nice green resin handle
I have that one on order..... snail mail. It has been recommended over and over by so many people.

You guys are going to get me into trouble. After reading the glowing reviews of this brush, I ordered two, one with a boar knot and one with a synthetic knot.
I can't speak for the synth version, but the boar version is a treat! The only complaint I had was the handle's light weight (though the shape is very good). I discovered it was fairly easy to remove the knot and add some weight, in my case about 4 or 5 nickel coins lightly glued in. Now, the brush feels even better in hand.

I've recently started using a 10108 and it's been impressive so far. It reminds me of the Jade. A bit floppy but the shorter loft easily compensates for this. I also find it less floppy and easier to control than both the Pro 49 and Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog (both of which are no longer in my brush rotation).

I got that synthetic S10108. It is a lather monster. But has more backbone than the 10108, so some users might not like it (especially badger lovers)

Hi, do you have a link for where you bought the synthetic?
Thanks

I may be in a minority here, but I'm not too fond of the 10108. To me it' s too soft, and doesn't have the typical solid boar backbone. I have 4 more Omega boar brushes of different sizes and all of them have more backbone. Yes, it is nice and soft (for being a boar) and holds a lot of water, but the stiffness of the knot just isn't there. Perhaps it is just me, preferring stiffer bristles that massage my face. With the 10108 I can barely push.

enjoy my omega 10049 boar! broke in pretty easily, still can use a couple more starts to split some more hairs!

only complaint, the label is peeling off after four uses! unfortunately, brad would do nothing, saying "well, it's a cheap brush"!

omega boar.jpg

I don't have room for another brush but y'all are forcing my hand. The 10108 from Connaught at 27mm/55mm loft sounds like the perfect use case imo. I used the Pro 48 exclusively for about 5 years, and it was softer than any badger or synthetic I've used since getting BAD, so if this is effectively a smaller version with the same softness and a more manageable splay it's going to be a surefire winner in my rotation. I can't be the only one that doesn't want a constant wall of solid boar when I splay. The 48 had a unique and gentle scrub that was enjoyable for my sensitive skin, and could be used daily without irritation.

I don't have room for another brush but y'all are forcing my hand. The 10108 from Connaught at 27mm/55mm loft sounds like the perfect use case imo. I used the Pro 48 exclusively for about 5 years, and it was softer than any badger or synthetic I've used since getting BAD, so if this is effectively a smaller version with the same softness and a more manageable splay it's going to be a surefire winner in my rotation. I can't be the only one that doesn't want a constant wall of solid boar when I splay. The 48 had a unique and gentle scrub that was enjoyable for my sensitive skin, and could be used daily without irritation.
Just a note of caution seeing you mentioned you have sensitive skin. After getting on for three months of use my 10108 is still a little on the scrubby side. I'm not saying it won't become softer with more use but I'm yet to see it with the one I have.

So I've been using the 108 for a few weeks now and I believe it to be fairly well broken in. It's about as dense as the 26/57mm Zenith but in a smaller form/bloom due to being a 2 mm shorter loft. It has mid backbone, a decent splay, and a very soft painter feel. It's currently among the best knots in my den, and a steal at its price.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
There is a very good (and soft) boar brush available from an Australian vendor you might be interested in. It's the Mondial 1908 boar. It's available with the white handle shown but also in an aluminum-clad version at a bit higher cost.

View attachment 1418598View attachment 1418599

I won't name the vendor but they are in Victoria and sell on ebay.

I've seen these online, they certainly look nice. Is the handle hollow like Omegas?

Top Bottom