What's new

The 'old' rabbit hole

I have the SS, Slim and a FB and I prefer my Slim over the 3. I have had 3 Slims, first one ended up giving to a friend only because I found a re-plated one in rose gold in my birth year/quarter. The 3rd one I got in a lot from the auction that included a FB and 2 other razor. The Slim and one of the cased razor from the auction went to my friend and the Slim he got was for his SIL. The Slim and the Fatboy shave pretty much the same but for some reason I like the Slim better, not exactly sure but think it is because it is gold. I do like the Fatboy since it has a slightly fatter handle than the Slim.

The Fatboy I have is my second. The first one from the auction was a cased one and went to my friend as a Christmas present. The one I have now has the screw in retainer and I did take it partially apart to clean the inside the handle. It is not that difficult. I just didn't separate the twist know or the handle from the upper part of the razor. The door/rod assembly is a little tricky to get out since that are somewhat pressed in through silo door mechanism but was able to pop them out without damaging the rod or the doors. Before disassembly I ran it through a US cleaner and there is no way to get that stuff out of the inside of the razor and don't think days of soaking is going to do it. Once apart I used Q-tips and soapy water and pushed them in and out. The retainer cap is under spring pressure.

If you are not into collecting the Slim would be more than enough of a razor. Me, before I went down the rabbit hole I started with a Merkur 34c, then a Tech, then I found a Slim, a Tech in my birth year/quarter, a SS in my birth year/quarter, a re-plated Slim in my birth year/ quarter, a New OC, a Schick Krona, a Wilkinson Sword Classic(plastic one), a Fatboy and Slim and 2 others razor(can't even remember what they were but were cased TTO's) in a lot of which the last 3 are gone, a VDH, and recently a Parker Adjustable Injector. Of course I am looking at the Fatip OC Slant but have been slapping my fingers on that one.

As scary as it might sound it's all true. You start with one Super Speed and then you want to try them all. Then you hear about British Super Speeds and want to try them as well and after some time you get yourself a NEW LC, but you are curious about the SC and then someone tells you that they are nothing compared to the British RFB. And before you know it, you are on a search for British Aristocrats from all generations and before you know it you have tried pretty much every vintage Gillette minus a few like a Toggle, Bottom dial Fatboy and maybe a Tech Hybrid.
I'm about halfway through this journey myself, probably more, and have been looking for a hybrid tech recently.

That's my AD! There's something about taking a razor that was a great piece of equipment, rescuing it, bringing it back to life, and using it. Razors, pipes, pocket knives, or maybe old watches. The hunt, the bargaining (sometimes), the restoration process, and then when your handiwork finally takes its place in your den.

I'm just starting off, 3 different SS grace my den. And now I'm starting to look for more. Trying to look beyond the Superspeeds now to see what else is good.

Top Bottom