What's new

The Old Fogies Club

Mine was a Laser 128, the Apple II clone. Replaced with an AT clone, same amber monochrome monitor. I think I have it somewhere still, along with the green monochrome that replaced it. Need to recycle about six monitors.....

I believe that I am an official old movie. I remember my draft number, had a UHF converter for my tv, remember dial phones and 2 digit mail codes. Won't see 60 again but still holdingon.

I remember McDonald's being a treat, and sitting in the car to eat it, I have bifocals and grandchildren, and I find myself using the phrase 'these kids today' about once a week.
OTOH I ride bikes in the woods and play/sing music in bars.
But yeah, I'm an old fogie.

I stepped into an antique mall in the southern part of our state, and saw too many things from my childhood! Lite Brites, View Masters, a GI Joe, and 8-tracks! No razors, though. I remember when the Fab Four where all with us, and every so often another rumor about them or Zepplin reuniting!
So I guess I am an old Fogie now.

I must be an old Fogie - SWMBO keeps calling me that.

I repair computers for a living, laptops PC's printers etc.
The first ones I worked on the programs were loaded by ticker tape. My first job was to clean out the punch machine that created the tapes.
A few years later we moved onto a more modern system that had 4k ram in large card that slotted into racks. And the slots were wire wrapped together using a special tool - called a wire wrapper! ( I think! )

I remember when the first PC came on the market and thinking "that will never catch on".

BTW Eric, Zeppelin did reunite in 2007. With the sole purpose to make money :001_tt2:
There is a rumour they may do it again this year to celebrate 50 years since they created Zep.

Bob L.

Contributor
I must be an old Fogie - SWMBO keeps calling me that.
The first ones I worked on the programs were loaded by ticker tape. My first job was to clean out the punch machine that created the tapes.
Now that brought back memories. I was one of the first college hires for the Western Union Sales Force in the mid-70's.

In the 1960s paper cards and paper tapes were the link between human brains and computers.
Here's an IBM26 card puncher

Model 32s were often used to punch tapes.

I entered the computer/telecommunications industry in 1976. The devices mentioned above were still in heavy use.

Linking mainframe computers with "high speed" data connections was the cutting edge tech. CRT screens and keyboards were replacing the teletype (punch tape) devices of the 60's and early 70's. The company's main revenue was still teletype based. Telegrams were on the way out.

Mailgrams, a short lived phenomenum, were replacing Telegrams. Email completely replaced Mailgrams for most Mailgram users. (Mailgrams were still a Western Union product until 2006.)

So, Bob. I guess you know where the Phrase "bug in the system" came from then?

The version I know is from the wire wrap days. There were rows and rows of pins on the back of the racks and you linked everything together with wires wrapped round the pins. Sometimes bugs would crawl in and short out these pins and bring the system down. You literally had to remove the bug that was usually fried and stuck between several of the pins.

Worked in a real estate office. In 1990, we were still receiving hard copy books with all the MLS listings and for searches used a Telex-type machine: it had no screen—you phoned MLS, put the phone handset in the cradle, typed in your parameters and the search data would print on perforated green and white computer paper. 1990!

Taking a course in BASIC in the late 70's, we would dial in to the school mainframe using a TI Silent 700. I had a loop in my program that I did not realize and wound up with a $70+ dollar phone bill as the program kept running.

mainframe
Reminds me of my first job ...... programmer/analyst at Exxon Corp. We wrote gigantic programs in FORTRAN that had to run in the not so gigantic core memory of 100k. Computer filled a room (more like a floor) of the building .... but only had 100k of core memory. Unbelievable that we can get an iPad now with 512GB of memory. Yikes!

And ..... anybody remember how to design overlays for those programs that were bigger than 100k? That was an art form.

I’m a relatively new widower (coming up on a year) which more than anything else has caused me to feel like an old fogie. As for wet shaving I’m fortunate to own birth quarter (C4) and also a birth year (C1) razors. Thank you Gillette for keeping track.

During the past year, I have learned much about appreciating what is important and giving thanks. I thank you all for this forum and providing a hobby/outlet where I am not alone and can find some joy, solace and relaxation.

sm, sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot imagine what it's like to lose a spouse, having friends die is quite bad enough, thank you!

This is a great forum, I'm glad you found it. Lots of very good people here. It will, however, probably lead you to getting more shaving stuff than you really need......

jar_

Contributor
Now that brought back memories. I was one of the first college hires for the Western Union Sales Force in the mid-70's.

In the 1960s paper cards and paper tapes were the link between human brains and computers.
Here's an IBM26 card puncher

Model 32s were often used to punch tapes.

I entered the computer/telecommunications industry in 1976. The devices mentioned above were still in heavy use.

Linking mainframe computers with "high speed" data connections was the cutting edge tech. CRT screens and keyboards were replacing the teletype (punch tape) devices of the 60's and early 70's. The company's main revenue was still teletype based. Telegrams were on the way out.

Mailgrams, a short lived phenomenum, were replacing Telegrams. Email completely replaced Mailgrams for most Mailgram users. (Mailgrams were still a Western Union product until 2006.)
Keep the 9 side down!

How was Thomas J Watson Buried?

We sold color terminals; orange on black, green on black, white on black and of course vice versa.