What's new

The Official "Showing Your Age" Thread

Another benefit of B&B membership. You guys make me feel young.
pete_puma_by_dougie_mccoy.jpg
I read your avatar and thought it was about this guy. :D

View attachment 861866
I read your avatar and thought it was about this guy. :D
Puma is an old nickname that has stuck with me since high school (mid to late 1980's). It was given to me by a crazy friend who was a manager in a grocery store I worked in at the time. I never did find out why he called me that, but it stuck. I wanted to use it as my name on here, but someone already had it when I registered. What bothers me is I have never seen this person post on here.

I watched a gentleman explain one of these to his (I presume) grandson in an antique mall. The kid was fascinated by it. Made me feel old!

Some years ago, someone discovered a small cache of slide rules at a college book store under "Architect Supplies." We got them to buy them for us. They kept one, and some of us old fogeys showed how to use it. Later, when Apollo 13 came around the campus and some of the classmates went "What are those?" they were able to tell them.

I already had three. Bought my first two before cheap scientific calculators, and then bought a small pocket model in case my calculator died. No, I didn't have it in a case behind a glass marked "Break in case of emergency."

Have also used some of these:

scale.jpg

We used them not only to weigh cotton brought to the wagon, but they were handy for weighting sheets of tobacco and other items in that weight range.

Seeing that album cover brings back memories. My father worked for Coke and was a fan of Johnny Cash. Here are a few things I remember from that time.

folsom.jpg

stereo.jpg

coke case.jpg

Had a few of those, seem to recall having a round version.
dave
I had a round one too, and it had an open centre.
I was looking for one like it on Google Images, but all I can find are solid disks.

My high school had one of the giant classroom slide rules hanging off the top of the blackboard ...
proxy.php

... but not the hot math teacher to go with it.

Had a few of those, seem to recall having a round version.
dave
I had a round one as well!

I had a round one too, and it had an open centre.
I was looking for one like it on Google Images, but all I can find are solid disks.
My high school had one of the giant classroom slide rules hanging off the top of the blackboard ...
proxy.php

... but not the hot math teacher to go with it.

Like this?
temp.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom