What's new

The Official Rooney Stubby XL 2 Band Discussion Thread

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I received my 1XL brush today, and well. Ill put it this way. I shouldve oredered a 2XL as well. This this is nice and I cant wait to shave with it.

A few pre-, post-bloom and comparison pics. Detailed impressions later but here's a hint: I love these brushes! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I'm fixin to start a WTT for one of these beauties (1XL). A Savile Row 3824 used 3 times and the whole line of TOBS St. James which is almost new. It's worth a shot right? My contingency plan is to sell the items above and buy a Chubby 1 two band.

Last edited:
How is the flow through on the XL's? They look incredibly dense.

I just got and tried my 3XL for the first time this morning. Flow through and lather capacity were better than I expected. Given the size of the knot, I did not find it to be that much of a lather hog. The density does not rival my Rooney Finest or Shavemac D01 2-Band - not even close. That's not to say that detracts from the performance. The knot still has lots of nice back bone, and the tips are very soft - not a hint of scritch like the Finest and Shavemac have. Perhaps because of the size and higher loft of the 3XL compared to the XL and 2XL, I would not classify this as a "scrubby" brush - it's more plush, but resilient and not floppy. I used a cream (Godrej), but seems like it should be great for soaps too.

OK, impressions...

Very good backbone
Great density
Nice flow-through
Softest tips around

The 1XL is a great compliment to the Chubby 1 and clearly was designed to compete with it. Although no slouch, the Rooney's backbone takes a back seat to the Simpson. However, the Rooney excels with its superior lathering surface and ultra-soft tips. I find the flow-through to be about the same on both. The Rooney is a pleasure to use and adds just a touch of luxury (those tips!!) to the workhorse performance of the Simpson.

The 3XL really surprised me. This is a big brush! Yet, I thought it performed like a smaller brush and reminded me of my old Rooney 1/2 in Super: excellent density and enough backbone to avoid lathering your entire head with one pass. My current comparison brush would have to be my Somerset Chubby 3 in Best but a better comparison would be the current generation 2-band Chubby 3. Still, it was fun to lather both. I found the Rooney to be a nice all-around big brush: stiff enough for soaps and face lathering while a dream with creams or in the bowl. Most of all, that big 'ol surface area lets you experience those fantastic tips on a grand scale. Wonderful! The Simpson is a nice brush but its OK backbone relegates it to creams for me.

These two brushes are rather unique in my small collection: very good backbone, great density, nice flow through and incredibly soft tips. If you're looking for ultra scrubby face lathering machines, these brushes might disappoint. But if you're looking for fantastic overall performers and want soft not scritchy, the XLs might be the best choice on the current market, my humble opinion acknowledged!

Last edited:
So Bill... this is a great bowl lathering brush.... damn the SBAD are kicking me again

Yeah, Brian, I'm no help to your wallet. :lol: I'm mainly a face latherer but occasionally will bowl lather one of my nice creams. Perhaps a bowl aficionado who bought an XL will chime in soon. These brushes have really, really soft tips! Did I mention that? :laugh:

The 3XL really surprised me. This is a big brush! Yet, I thought it performed like a smaller brush

Even with a big knot, the low loft and flat fan shape keep the bloom and face feel very small on these brushes. My 28mm XXL feels closer in size to my 24mm brushes, than it does to my 26mm (Stubby 3 three band, Lee Sabini Horn) or 30mm's (TGN Sivertip, or Chubby 3 (ok ok 32mm here)).

Top Bottom