What's new

The Official Rooney Stubby XL 2 Band Discussion Thread

The main thing I'm wondering about is the backbone of the new XLs.
How does it compare to:

Rooney Super
Rooney Finest
Simpsons Best
Simpsons Super
Simpsons Two-band
Shavemac D01
Shavemac Two-band D01

I am wondering about the comparison with the Simpson 2-banded CH2 also. The problem I had with my Rooney Stubby is that it was a lather hog. The Ch2 seems to carry it off for me.

Take Care,
Richard

The new 2-band hair in the XL's sounds great. Anybody tried both the XL/2XL and the new Emillion size one 2-band and can comment on the density of the Emillion versus the XL/2XL? I have a size 1 in Finest 2-band and love the density and backbone, but have always felt the tips were just a bit too scrubby/scratchy to be perfect for me. I did not pull the trigger on an XL, because I just like somewhat smaller knots (18-22mm), like the Emillion's, but I like high density and backbone. If the density and backbone of the Emillion is comparable or nearly comparable to the XL and the new 2-band hair has tips that are softer than the Finest, I just may spring for an Emillion. Anyone with any comparative data points to help me decide?

The new 2-band hair in the XL's sounds great. Anybody tried both the XL/2XL and the new Emillion size one 2-band and can comment on the density of the Emillion versus the XL/2XL? I have a size 1 in Finest 2-band and love the density and backbone, but have always felt the tips were just a bit too scrubby/scratchy to be perfect for me. I did not pull the trigger on an XL, because I just like somewhat smaller knots (18-22mm), like the Emillion's, but I like high density and backbone. If the density and backbone of the Emillion is comparable or nearly comparable to the XL and the new 2-band hair has tips that are softer than the Finest, I just may spring for an Emillion. Anyone with any comparative data points to help me decide?

Keep a watch on this tread. Alabamalawyer is testing the New Emillion 1 now & his 1XL is due to arrive Thursday. I'm still waiting for my 1XL to arrive.
Although Vintage Blades is already Sold Out of the 1XL & the 2XL brushes.

Wow, these XL brushes sound amazing. I am so glad to hear that the tips are softer than soft. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow and haven't been this excited to receive a brush, since that last time I ordered a brush :tongue_sm

After waiting with baited breath, my box arrived. Have not shaved or lathered yet...maybe tonight.

View attachment 132593

First impressions, the knot has some pretty serious density. The tips are soft, however not quite as soft as my barely broken in 2-band HMW #16 pictured above. I doubt my face will complain either way. The hair itself is not more stiff than the hair in the #16, but the knot density adds some stiffness.

View attachment 132594

The handle feels solid to me, but I don't have a prior Rooney to compare aside. I did notice that the handle has two bands on it whereas the non-xl stubby pictured on vintageblades have one band...maybe this is the different marking?

As I run the brush over my wrist the tips feel like a solid plane, this is due to the density and will probably loose some of this after a few lathers-or just turn into a solid brick of hair and soap/cream. This brush will lend itself to face lathering a soap, maybe a kent's or something equally stubborn. Think of a hair wisk.

View attachment 132595

Can't wait to break it in with my favorite cream-the Neuveau French Gillette Fusion.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Can't wait to break it in with my favorite cream-the Neuveau French Gillette Fusion.

Get the tar and feathers .... :tongue_sm

Inaugural shave with Pre de Provence was great. I'm no brush expert, but this thing is SOFT. No hint of scratchyness of any kind--forget breaking it in. It just felt dense and luscious against my face. :thumbup1: Zero hairs lost during test lather and first shave.

Take this, Chubby! :tongue_sm

View attachment 132514

Holy Smokes! I opened this thead, and the XL jumped off my monitor and PUNCHED ME IN THE MOUTH :mad3:

I just got my new Emillion size one in 2 band today and have the Rooney Finest 2/1 and would like to know what the comparaisons point are as well. Also, maybe my PJ 2 in two band or Douglas Simpson 57 which is two band maybe other comparison measures.

Top Bottom