What's new

The Official Rooney Stubby XL 2 Band Discussion Thread

A little premature I know, but it seems that there will be plenty of these (XL's) arriving at our doorsteps as soon as today. Let's make this the place to discuss these, shall we?

Last edited:
Mine 1XL just came in. The handle doesn't have as nice of a feel as a Simpson but the knot is perfect. Definitely more dense than the Rooney 1/2, too early to say if it's as dense as Shavemac D01, and my initial impression is that I will like the knot better than a Simpson 2-band.

View attachment 132458

Last edited:
I am actually expecting a 2xl today or tomorrow...prob tomorrow and not shaving tomorrow am so I can whip it out in the pm....

That is one beautiful brush.....what do you mean "doesn't feel as good" ??

Without a near-comparable Simpson, like a Chubby, I hate to speculate, but I think the Simpson handle material is heavier, and I like that. The color of the Rooney is nice, though: lighter, not quite as yellow.

I am proud to say that I have completely resisted buying the XL2, oops, I mean er, 2XL (Apologies to the Colonel) . I am a huge fan of Rooney and have some of their old school stuff which is AMAZING. But I just bought a Chubby 2 in Best, and then these came along... There has to be a limit gentlemen. Though I do appreciate that some may differ exactly where that line is drawn. For me it is here. For now.... BUT, that will not stop me from reading every single post on this thread.

I have the CH2 in Super and this thing is legendary. I also have a Rooney in Finest and it is an awesome brush also but the CH2 is just in a class of it's own.....till possibly now. This dang brush has me going. I thought I was over BAD! I am not liking this, at all!:thumbdown

To those that get one you have to tell us about them...you guys are killin me!

Later,
Richard

Inaugural shave with Pre de Provence was great. I'm no brush expert, but this thing is SOFT. No hint of scratchyness of any kind--forget breaking it in. It just felt dense and luscious against my face. :thumbup1: Zero hairs lost during test lather and first shave.

Take this, Chubby! :tongue_sm

View attachment 132514

Mine 1XL just came in. The handle doesn't have as nice of a feel as a Simpson but the knot is perfect. Definitely more dense than the Rooney 1/2, too early to say if it's as dense as Shavemac D01, and my initial impression is that I will like the knot better than a Simpson 2-band.

View attachment 132458

Just grabbed mine out of the package and here are my very first impressions:

I disagree with you on the handle... I think the lettering, feel and shape of it are top notch. Maybe the 2XL I have feels more substantial than the 1XL. YMMV.

Your opinion of the knot are spot on to what I think. Dense. Dense. Dense. I also picked up the the two-band stubby 2 and it is significantly more dense. Check it out next to the brushes below for some you might have in your den.

I did a test spin through some cade. It certainly has backbone with zero floppiness.

Definitely not scratchy for sure... some of the softest two-band hair I have felt from any brush label.

All of the above along with the Rooney "Fan" shape and I think this is a for sure winner...

Clockwise from top left - Simpson Polo PL10 Super, Rooney 2XL Two-Band Super, Simpson Eagle G3 Best and Simpson Tulip T2 Two-Band Super

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Stubby XXL arrived today, and looked something like this out of the box.
$Prebloom.jpg
First off as everyone has said this is a pleasantly dense brush. Notably denser than my original Stubby 2 two band. The new grade of hair is every bit as luxurious as the original. The brush is impossibly soft with zero skritch. The hair itself is not heavy on backbone, but the wide stance (28mm knot) and super short loft (48mm) keep this in check perfectly. The over all effect is that the brush has just enough give to be comfortable on the face. The short loft also controls bloom better than the original. Granted the pictures were taken after just a couple test lathers and one use, but I am sure the bloom will stay minimal.

Not only is the knot more Stubby, the handle is too. It is both shorter and wider than the original. It is also slightly more cream colored than the bone white of the original Stubby offerings. Interestingly enough the new labeling is exactly the same as the old. Unfortunately there is no XXL to be found, just the same "2". My only nit pick is the handle size. Its not to small to be hard to grasp, but the new stubbier Stubby is not as comfortable in the hand, and I think the handle on a size XL would just have been to small. Again this is a small criticism, but its really all I have to gripe about.

The brush carved off soap very easily and lathered up in just seconds. It did not rip off soap like my Rooney Finest or Shavemac D01 Flat Top, but it still loaded very quickly thanks to the stubby knot. Lathering was hit and miss with it. I did 3 tests and one face lather and twice I got a lather explosion and twice seemed to hog all the soap to itself. I think the mixture was to dry on the two bad runs, so for what its worth try these guys slightly wetter than you might otherwise.

All in all this is another fantastic brush, and a big improvement on the original. More stubby, more dense, and just more brush for less money. All this with keeping the best features of the original, makes the new Stubbys a fantastic brush all the way around.

View attachment 132525 View attachment 132526
View attachment 132527

Last edited:
Top Bottom