What's new

The Official Guide to Israeli Made DE Blades

After working through my sampler pack and settling on the Red Pack Personnas, I was thrilled to discover that they were so cheap. Sadly my little sample pack ran out before my order of 200 blades arrived, so I was forced to use some of the other blades that didnt work so well for me and my SS until they arrived. Now that I found my baseline, I am looking forward to testing some other combos.

With the performance that the Red Pack Personna delivers for me in my 47 SS combined with the low price, I am willing to believe that these are actually made in heaven. ;-)

My father-in-law is in Israel as we speak... with a request to return with razor blades... I'll post pics upon his return in a month if he's successful in finding some...

I just returned from a 10-day Israel stint with razor blades in mind but came back empty-handed. They were remarkably difficult to find; in the end I found maybe two brands I was unfamiliar with but didn't purchase, both with packaging that did not seem familiar. It's possible that:

A) They were re-branded blades from the same manufacturing facility;
or B) The manufacturer does not have an Israeli distributor, and the blades originated elsewhere.

Either way, I hoped to find the "genuine article," but found only disappointment (at least regarding blades, the rest of the trip was spectacular.)

So it sounds like the unboxed Super * Platinum blades (shown on the left) in the sample pack I just bought are in fact the famous Israelis!

Do you think this blue 100-pack Personna Platinum stainless steel blades is likely to be the Super stars as well?

Thanks for the clarification! I was super confused after unwrapping my "Crystals" to not see any such logo on the blade.. it all makes sense now, or more sense than just a few minutes ago! Great work!

Do you think this blue 100-pack Personna Platinum stainless steel blades is likely to be the Super stars as well?
Well, I have a box of these. One one of the smaller sides they say: "Superior Technology from American Safety Razor Co., U.S.A" but the EAN Code search of 8850662161081 at http://www.ean-search.org/perl/ean-search.pl?ean=8850662161081
returns : "Issuing country: TH" which looks more Thai than Israeli to my untrained eye.

But according to http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/new.html:
Does the EAN number indicate the country of origin of a product?

No it doesn't. The 3-digit prefix code indicates which numbering organization has allocated the bank of numbers to the company. For example, a company may have it's headquarters in South Africa. The EAN organization in South Africa has the code "600", but all the products of the company may be manufactured in England. The English-made products would still have the "600" prefix code. The prefix code is a way to have 70-plus EAN member organizations issuing numbers without having to worry about duplicate numbers. A list of country codes can be found here.

So we're still ignorant but in more detail.

Thanks for looking into that Stubbles.

If you have a box, why not just open it up? We should be able to tell by the appearance of the blade wrapper or the blade itself. :)

Cheers!

On Personna UK's website there are eleven different varieties of blade listed, though some of the listings appear to be just quantity based, ie 250's wrapped or 2000s unwrapped.
More to the point the unmarked blades that look like Tescos or Boots come in two varieties - coated or uncoated. So the blades that look the same might not be the same at all!
There are also some old fashioned rounded three hole carbon steel blades.
They seem to be intended for OEM wholesale and redistribution or medical use. But in 250s for someone who likes them they might be a good deal.
http://www.personna-uk.co.uk/productSearch.asp?item=12&button2=Go!&offset=0
A pic:
proxy.php

Thanks for looking into that Stubbles.

If you have a box, why not just open it up? We should be able to tell by the appearance of the blade wrapper or the blade itself. :)
Cheers!
Sorry, I thought you had seen them. I was in the mindset that given the photos of all the different types on here that physical appearance wouldn't be the deciding factor (because they look different again).

FWIW I'd place them between a Dorco & a Derby for aggressiveness.

NB: the wrapper is just plain white paper. They come in a standard cellophane-wrapped white plastic box of 5.

J

Jarmo P

Yes stubbles, the blade look like red Personnas. They are good forgiving blades.
Glad I have them from John in cardboard packages of 5 instead plastic ones.

Re: Boots blades. This is very depressing. Was going to give them a go, but having a look in my local Boots, their own brand razors appear to be re-packaged Wilkinson Swords (German made), and the WS' dont agree with me.

Might have to try out the Tesco's ones tho'.

RR

actually, the last report was that boots replaced their israely made with korean made dorcos, which are as dull as my witt,

btw, stubbles, thanks, i know a shop that has the same personnas you mentioned at 75 cents a 10 pack,
http://www.casa-rodriguez.com/index.php?ver=detalles&secc=1&prod=10915

the thing is that 75 cents is a bit short for a for an mail order, now im a bit more confident,

as for my dealings with blades in israel, i look around when i go visit my brother, i found personna 10 pack, but there were horrible, i suspect that the blades themselfs were not personna, and my brother found some eddison blades, which were a israely manufacturer which rebadged US personna products, he didnt like the results either, it seems that isrealy made blades are mostly for export,

Hello All,

I have being confused as well, but I have finally found out what was done with this blades.

PERSONNA RED BLADES = LORD PLATINUM CLASS BLADES. :eek::w00t:

The personna blades come in same packaging as Lord Blades, but since there would be a problem on packaging, customers removed since it would day "Made in Egypt" thus comflicting the true Irsaeli Personna blades which are "Made in Israel". The Red Personnas were manufactured under a private label for the American Safety Razor years ago but were discontinued due to conflict of interest. What ever is circulating around are left overs of the blades order a while back.

I think, you can officially call them Lord Personnas as this were not approved by the Original Israeli Personnas ( SUPER Platinum). Although this are great blades, these are not recognized by American Safety Razor anymore.

The lord Platinum Class Blades are actually the same blades as personna red but with their original label which is LORD. I hope this helps this case and hope that someone does let me know about what to call the RED Personnas... Now that is the question!

Please see attachment for review... This is what I am talking about regarding packaging!

Hope this helps with confusion! :).

Have a great day guys!

Dark

John,
Any chance you might start stocking the TESCO version?
Potentially, if I can find someone willing to work with me. The blades are distributed by Personna UK, and they are not allowed to sell to this market, and vice versa with American Safety Razor, USA. I could always buy direct from one of the sellers, Boots, Asda, etc..., but it's cost prohibitive. I'm working on another chanel and may have some information soon.

Hey John,
Any progress on this front?

Dark, interesting information. Where did you get it? I'll have to check, but I think the Red Personna blades I'm getting are still being made. I remember seeing a date on the external packaging.

Hey John,
Any progress on this front?

Unfortunately, someone got to someone and my lead dried up. I'm working on another method.

Letterk,

I got information from a reliable source and I am 100% sure it is reliable. Where do you get your Red Personnas, perhaps you might want to ask them where they make them. I have being wanted to get the Red Personnas, but unable to :(.

I think that should be enough proof about the Lord Personnas :).

Have a great day guys!,

Dark

another confirmation as for the plastic pack personnas, 18.65 euros for a 200 blade pillar in 20 packs of 10 blades,
proxy.php

proxy.php

the come in the same blue and white pillar,

Aevum,

Nice find! Who is the maker of these blades? As far as I know, Lord stopped production on the Personna. I guess another company is not manufactoring the new ones.

Those look nice ;),

Dark

Top Bottom