What's new

The Official Guide to Israeli Made DE Blades

This is interesting because the Red Packs seem to be the cheapest blades on the market that I've found.

I wonder if the red packs could be "seconds" or some such (very minor defects?) that ASR doesn't want to acknowledge as being theirs (since not of the same quality) and yet are still willing to sell. Just a thought.

I wonder if the red packs could be "seconds" or some such (very minor defects?) that ASR doesn't want to acknowledge as being theirs (since not of the same quality) and yet are still willing to sell. Just a thought.

RichGem --

If they were 'seconds' why would the mark the blades 'PERSONNA' in large type, and wrap them in branded papers?

I don't think they're seconds (unless they're actually made by Gillette :lol:). But it is odd that corporate is unaware --wouldn't be the first time senior mgmt is clueless about their own company. I think it might have slipped through the cracks at corp communications/PR or whatever they call it.

-- John Gehman

RichGem --

If they were 'seconds' why would the mark the blades 'PERSONNA' in large type, and wrap them in branded papers?

I don't think they're seconds (unless they're actually made by Gillette :lol:). But it is odd that corporate is unaware --wouldn't be the first time senior mgmt is clueless about their own company. I think it might have slipped through the cracks at corp communications/PR or whatever they call it.

-- John Gehman

Good points there, John. I was just thinking off the top of my head, but what you said makes good sense. Maybe it's some nefarious plot by some other company to hijack the personna name for their own product. More likely, as you said, a case of the management not having all the facts.

Nicely done. Very well researched with some new, previously secret information. Now that the mask is off, however, you will have to resign from the Mossad.

And here we never knew we had someone on the inside.

Best,

Good points there, John. I was just thinking off the top of my head, but what you said makes good sense. Maybe it's some nefarious plot by some other company to hijack the personna name for their own product. More likely, as you said, a case of the management not having all the facts.

I doubt it. I worked from the sales rep all the way up to the product line manager. The story was the same. No one in the US knows (or will admit) to knowing about them.

All I know is that I got 100ea of Crystals and Red Personnas. I found those two blades are far superior to me than any of the other blades that I have tried.

I doubt it. I worked from the sales rep all the way up to the product line manager. The story was the same. No one in the US knows (or will admit) to knowing about them.

You said ASR owns the Personna brand name here in the US, is it possible that the same Israeli plant makes blades for a different company that owns the trademark in other countries? I suppose that would make the blades somewhere between gray market and black market.

I know there was some confusion a while back about who owned/made Wilkinson Sword branded stuff in the US because of differences in trade name ownership across the pond. I'm wondering if we may be running into something similar here?

That packaging seems spot on for the Swedish G's. I haven't tried the "Tesco" blades but the ones in Boots The Chemist are exactly the same as the Tesco ones and I've an untried packet of each in my cabinet. Will now give them a try. They're not as sharp as the Gillettes (against the thumb) and seem just a wee bit duller than the White WS, so I just stuck with the Gillettes, but they might have a better texture. I personally found the polymer-coated WSs a bit uninformative compared to the Platinums.

What about the Dollar General Made In Israel blades, where do they typically fall?

Got a picture?

You said ASR owns the Personna brand name here in the US, is it possible that the same Israeli plant makes blades for a different company that owns the trademark in other countries? I suppose that would make the blades somewhere between gray market and black market.

I know there was some confusion a while back about who owned/made Wilkinson Sword branded stuff in the US because of differences in trade name ownership across the pond. I'm wondering if we may be running into something similar here?

Yes, ASR owns the Personna brand in the US. Sure, it's possible the Israeli plant makes blades for other companies that own the brand in different countries. For instance, Personna UK.

99 cent only store in Yorba Linda,Ca. Should be at most 99cent only stores in SoCal.

Interesting. As I said, the Israeli plant makes different blades for a large number of vendors. I'll have to go find some and see.

That packaging seems spot on for the Swedish G's. I haven't tried the "Tesco" blades but the ones in Boots The Chemist are exactly the same as the Tesco ones and I've an untried packet of each in my cabinet. Will now give them a try. They're not as sharp as the Gillettes (against the thumb) and seem just a wee bit duller than the White WS, so I just stuck with the Gillettes, but they might have a better texture. I personally found the polymer-coated WSs a bit uninformative compared to the Platinums.

Well, they're not Gillettes, that's for sure. We're not sure where those are made, but they theoretically could be made in Israel.

Well, they're not Gillettes, that's for sure. We're not sure where those are made, but they theoretically could be made in Israel.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the picture of the big plastic box? That seems to be the same as the SwG's. (didn't mean to be unclear) That sort of snap-out dispenser seems to me to be the safest and most secure way to present blades. Just tried the Tesco blades this morning in a Futur. They feel duller than either Merkur or SwG's, about the same as the White WSs, but very smooth. Not a bad result and skin-friendly but I was wondering if they would perform better in a Slant? The Slant seems to put more tension on the blade, which is great for some parts of the face, but not others. I like how the Futur seems to allow the blade to follow the contours a bit more and I'm sure this micro-resonance has a lot to do with its distinctive noise. But would a smoother (tho less sharp) blade work better with the higher tension of the Slant do you think?

Which I really find strange since ASR's name and location (as distributor) are printed on the red Personna blade wrappers. Seems to me if ASR really has nothing to do with the red pack Personna blades, they would take legal action. Of course, maybe they are investigating.

-Clarke

Top Bottom