What's new

The Official Carve Your Own Pipe exhibition thread

+1.

I still have a half-finished abomination sitting on my workbench from last year when somebody came up with this brilliant idea. Haven't had the motivation to finish it after seeing what some of you guys are coming up with.

I still have three in a drawer that I haven't even touched yet. :lol:

+1.

I still have a half-finished abomination sitting on my workbench from last year when somebody came up with this brilliant idea. Haven't had the motivation to finish it after seeing what some of you guys are coming up with.

At least yours Is half finished, I've still got a solid block
If briar waiting for me to destroy it!!!!

+1.

My first pipe was nothing to rave about, it feels good to smoke out a pipe you made yourself no matter if it's a masterpiece or not, go for it, I promise I won't laugh :001_cool:

My latest pipe, a remake of a previous creation. Brushed black briar bowl with contrast stained rim, Bocote/stainless steel shank and hand shaped vulcanite stem...

$JGh1ub2.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread, however I just ordered a straight ebauchon blank from VT Freehand. I've wanted to try my hand at this for a while, but never went through with it. After reading through this thread, it finally made me take the next step and place an order. Hopefully my end result comes out half as good as the ones I've seen here.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Sorry to revive an old thread, however I just ordered a straight ebauchon blank from VT Freehand. I've wanted to try my hand at this for a while, but never went through with it. After reading through this thread, it finally made me take the next step and place an order. Hopefully my end result comes out half as good as the ones I've seen here.
Make sure you post pics when you're done. We'd love to see it.

Make sure you post pics when you're done. We'd love to see it.

Will do!

I've been carving this thing entirely by hand, no power tools (I tried a Dremel but it was painfully slow when compared to the rasps/files). Good lord, it takes a long time!

Right now I'm trying to fine tune the shape with some 100 grit paper. Then I'll move on to the higher grits and the staining. I'm thinking a contrast stain with dark brown and cherry.

Current status:

$ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448824458.303183.jpg

I'm about to move on to 600 grit, and have just applied my first coat of cherry stain over the dark brown contrast stain. Getting close now!

$side.jpg$top.jpg

Top Bottom