What's new

The Official Carve Your Own Pipe exhibition thread

Well.....this was going to be a smooth apple, but I ran into this ugly fellow and its too deep to sand out without changing the pipe's design.

Time to break out the rusticating tools. LOL I think it will still be a nice smoker when it's done.

A close up....

Alpster, i really like your shaping, i am pretty sure the rustication and staining will turn this in a nice rusticated apple. Waiting for final pictures.

Alpster, i really like your shaping, i am pretty sure the rustication and staining will turn this in a nice rusticated apple. Waiting for final pictures.

Well, my hard head would not give in to the rustication, so the whole pipe got about 2mm smaller and the nasty boil is no more....

After sanding it fovever, I chose a red on black stain and polished with carnuba on the buffer....... finished pipe.....

Well, my hard head would not give in to the rustication, so the whole pipe got about 2mm smaller and the nasty boil is no more....

After sanding it fovever, I chose a red on black stain and polished with carnuba on the buffer....... finished pipe.....

Wow, nice save.

Well, my hard head would not give in to the rustication, so the whole pipe got about 2mm smaller and the nasty boil is no more....]

Good for you!!! Lucky it made it through the extra reduction. A fine pipe and in my opinion looks better smooth. I was secretly worried for it, but can now expel my previous doubts.

Just finished my latest creation the "Hellrazor Poker", it features a black rusticated finish with 8 metal spikes around the circumference of the bowl rim for a truly sinister look, a polished stainless band and black acrylic stem finish the pipe, it measures approximately 5 13/16" long x 1 ⅝" wide x 2 ¼" tall, the tobacco chamber is ¾" x 1 ½" deep...
View attachment 445455View attachment 445456View attachment 445457View attachment 445458View attachment 445459

holy cow, Aaron. Your reverse calabash pipes are all beautiful, but your rustication is just breathtaking. I love it.
I wish this was still going on, or rather that I could still get kits at that price!

A real work of art. Great that you were able to come up with a solution.

Finally got up the courage to carve my second vintage African meerschaum kit that I have been putting off for a year, I was a little intimidated to start with visions of it shattering on my lathe, It turned surprisingly well though. I added a nickel shank cap, Cumberland accent ring and stem which I will be shaping tomorrow...
$IMG_4117.jpg$IMG_4120.jpg$IMG_4135.jpg

Top Bottom