What's new

The Official Android Scuttle: My $6.95 Shuttle Experiment

I finally figured out how to make a pretty nice Scuttle for keeping lather warm. I've fooled around with multiple bowls, etc, many of which were mentioned here, but never thought they worked as well as a real scuttle, but couldn't quite get myself to spend the $65 for Sara Bonnyman's Scuttle (which I think is great, actually, and a nice treat).

So here's what I did. First I bought a Cool/Warm Dip Server, from www.lakeside.com, here: http://tinyurl.com/2ez28s

this is basically a bowl within a bowl, with space between the bowls for hot water. It also comes with a lid. It costs $6.95, with $6.95 shipping for one or two.

It doesn't quite work as a scuttle as is, because the inner bowl rattles around, and floats up if there is too much water.

Then, using a special drill bit made for tile ($6 from local hardware store) I carefully drilled out a bite from the inner bowl. When you do this, use a slow speed on your drill, and do it in the sink, so you can have water running over it, to keep from heating up and cracking.

A drill press would be great, but I didn't have one.

I ended up using a needle-nosed pliers to carefully break out small pieces of the inner bowl to create the opening (see pics below).

Next, I epoxied the inner bowl into the outer bowl. The purpose of this is to prevent the inner bowl from rattling around or floating up. I let it dry for 24 hours, and voila! My $7 scuttle.

It's about an inch wider than a large Bonnyman scuttle, so works a little better for making lather. I use it the same way, run hot water over it with the brush inside, then take out the brush, dump the water from the inner bowl, and fill the outer bowl from the opening. Then shave with hot lather. If I am doing a long shave, I may use the lid as well to keep the heat in.

BTW, Lakeside charges the same shipping fee $7 for one or two of these items, so you may want to order two, and then you have an extra.

And yes, that's my new B&B Finest Brush in the Android Scuttle.

Top Bottom