What's new

The Novelty Has Worn Off

Hang in there! It will get better!

Funny how our minds work. For me, it’s the opposite: shaving helps a lot when things aren’t working. Some sense of order and self care or indulgence, maybe. Some control. Something about those 20 minutes of peace, alone, in the bathroom.

@AIBHappy , NO-FOMO is bliss! As simple as that!
I agree, that some mornings when it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders, shaving gives me about 30 minutes of freedom from the world. But, today it’s just not happening, and that’s okay. I’ll make up for it tomorrow.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I understand what you are saying.
I have a hand tremor after I had the stroke a couple of years back. It get really bad some times. Shaving is not great on the days that happens. Other times I can use a shave as a form of meditation and get very Ignatius of Loyola about the whole issue. Most days it can be somewhere in between. I turned shaving into to a hobby rather than a necessity to give me something to turn my mind than think about the bad stuff and the forced retirement that I found myself enduring.

if it is not doing for you anymore then don’t do it. Life is far to short to sweat the small stuff.
Go well with whatever you decide and there will always be folks on this forum who will give you a warm welcome one way or another.

That is just miles from my home. They do not let you climb to the top of the boom any more because stupid people jumped off pfffft. People ruin everything. But it is still worth having a look see. Quite impressive.

Sorry, carry on

Most impressive.

Big Brutus totally hijacked this thread - LOL. Haven't been that way in many years but my Dad grew up in Cherryvale and my grandmother lived there until the early 2000's. Shame you can't climb it anymore.

Most impressive.

Big Brutus totally hijacked this thread - LOL. Haven't been that way in many years but my Dad grew up in Cherryvale and my grandmother lived there until the early 2000's. Shame you can't climb it anymore.
Cherryvale, yep "right down the road" the other way. Like alot of small towns, the drugs have taken a toll on that quiet little town :(

Like others have said - the interest level or passion for shaving can come and go. I started wet shaving about 15 years ago. Back then there was a yahoo group on straight razors that got me started. After I got a little too comfortable with my feather dx straight and gave myself what turned out to be a permanent (albeit small) scar on my left cheek, I started getting in to DE razors for their practicality and speed. I found what I thought was my ONE razor and was happy sticking with it for a decade. I realized about six months ago that the zamak was starting to corrode and the razor is no longer manufactured, so here I am back in the hunt, but also enjoying and paying more attention to my shaves versus earlier when it was to the point I was on automatic pilot in the mornings. I've even pulled out the feather DX for a refresh and enjoyed that again, with careful attention.

I've been wet shaving since I was 25... So 8 years now. I still very, very much wish I could shave 10 times a day. Trying different soap samples has been my big thing this past year.

I shave with straight razors mostly and learning to sharpen and hone those bad boys is a whole hobby by itself with it's own rabbit holes.

No I never experienced what you describe

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There is nothing wrong with seeing shaving purely as a utilitarian function and using the same equipment for years or even a lifetime. B&B is about finding what works for you, which need not be constantly trying different products, searching for something better in an endless cycle of dissatisfaction. I suggest those with the least equipment are often the most satisfied with what they have.
BLASPHEMY!!! BLASPHEMY!!! BLASPHEMY!!!

OK. That's better.

For ME, finally having the nerve to try and use a straight razor perked up several LATENT disorders.

Good luck my friend.

On the face of it, "shaving as a hobby" is downright stoopid.

So color me stoopid!

FarmerTan

🤔 To have 40 different brands of toothpaste would be bizarre... To have 65 hairbrushes would surely be a disorder...

But here, 80 shave soaps, 65 aftershaves and 40 razors is simply considered "a good start," or "fine travel kit," etc.

AA
You truly are an instigator. MUCH werser than that @Owen Bawn dude. Glad I stay in the background so much.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You truly are an instigator. MUCH werser than that @Owen Bawn dude. Glad I stay in the background so much.

It's soap! How can you be against soap!?

We all want to present a respectable image to the world. You do that by shaving and smelling nice.

Women, for example, rarely go for a well, never mind.

And you can't shave without a good razor. Since titanium is the most expensive, it must be the best. You want to be your best, right? So get a titanium razor.

Also, scrubbing is paramount. A Wolf Whiskers Platinum FoxFace or Simpson Chubby 3 SuperYetiManchu will get it done easily. Buy once, cry once.

AA

FarmerTan

It's soap! How can you be against soap!?

We all want to present a respectable image to the world. You do that by shaving and smelling nice.

Women, for example, rarely go for a well, never mind.

And you can't shave without a good razor. Since titanium is the most expensive, it must be the best. You want to be your best, right? So get a titanium razor.

Also, scrubbing is paramount. A Wolf Whiskers Platinum FoxFace or Simpson Chubby 3 SuperYetiManchu will get it done easily. Buy once, cry once.

AA
You are relentless my friend. Way to go!!!

I got back to wetshaving in the first wave early 2020 after a long hiatus. Did the B&B approved tour through every rabbit hole and thought I was on the mend for the last 2-3 months.

no new creams/soaps - enjoy what you have the next 3-4 years?
no new AS - same as above for the next 2-3 years?
no new bowls - 4 for every mood and occasion on duty with a couple of mothballed spares
no new blades - + 1,500 lifetime supply in stock + tons of sample blades to spice things up now and then
no new brushes - thinning the herd with 2 to go before 1 new comes in, and it worked - barely. I‘m currently on 1 in 1 out - I might start selling a few that are not dear to my heart.
no new razor - found my grail (1934 Aristocrat) and thought maybe sometime one of those new cnc‘ed ones in a couple years and all is good :letterk1:

No it’s not good! I still hunt the auction sites for poor, forlorn and neglected vintage pieces to give them shelter…. (Red Tip and HD500 inbound)

I started my Gem, Injector and AC journey…. (1912, L1, Raster, B2, Adjustable, Junior)

I managed to find the only available polished Vector in continental Europe and am currently negotiating the price…

Shaving itself still sparks joy. On one hand all the variety that I can now choose from in my den and on the other hand to develop familiarity, preferences and increasing proficiency with all accumulated tools.

Top Bottom