What's new

The Novelty Has Worn Off

Oh friend I've been there. I started wet shaving in 2008 and went nearly a decade with nothing but one razor, 1 brush, 100 pack of Derby blades, and a puck of soap whenever I ran out. Now? Yeah I'm into vintage Gillette razors (very vintage, like BEOTs, GI kits, etc) and vintage Straights (American, English, would like to start getting into some German razors, and definitely want a Swedish razor). I still stay minimalist with soap/brush. Now I have two brushes. Only one soap. Oh hones. I added some hones...

Enjoy respite from shaving gear purchases, be it brief or a decade long like mine. The good news is... go a decade with the same razor and brush, plus only refill blades and soap when you need them... and you actually will have saved a bunch of money compared to shaving with carts. Then you can buy a bunch of premium shaving gear one day and feel almost no guilt!!!

Life is a series of peaks and valleys. You'll have times when shaving is a chore and it doesn't matter what you use, and you'll have times when you thrill in the process and can't wait to see how good your lather turns out. It's easy when just starting out to overdo things, get too wrapped up in the hype (especially here where it's nothing but razor eye candy), and somewhat burn out. No worries. You still need to shave, right?

Like @5whiskey, I went about 10 years with one DE, one brush, an old blade sample pack, and one type of cream (my SRs need some attention after many years of neglect). One thing that helped me is to make my shaving routine a ceremony: laying things out, taking my time, enjoying the process. That's what it's really about. Finding the joy in the mundane. You don't need the fancy new razor, or the decades-supply of soap to make for a great shave. A little time, a little active meditation while lathering in a bowl, et voila, you've got a great shave which makes for a great start or end to the day.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Being true to yourself. If you’re content...you’re content. I was content to basically not pick up a razor for decades, literally. Loved having a beard, didn’t like shaving at all. I would shave from time to time if necessary, very brief periods. Things changed last year, I became interested in things shaving related and began to shave...every day. Can’t explain it. Glad this platform exists, knowing I’m not alone in my enthusiasm and enjoyment. Its a level of attention I have never given myself, perhaps I’m overthinking it. Time will tell I guess. For now I’ll just enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks.

The novelty may have worn off for me as well but not the shaving process. I'm still excited for every shave because it's just really relaxing, much better than a tedious cartridge shave. But I agree there's nothing wrong to just be content with what you have and not go crazy over purchasing new stuff. At least that's what I keep saying to myself but I'm pretty close to let myself loose again. :)

After about 9 years I've kind of reached a plateau too. After buying the Merkur Progress and Fatip Open Comb Slant last year, I find there's not much gear out there I want to spend money on. Maybe I'll try some new blades, or a soap or cream if the scent sounds intriguing, but I've got what I need. I still really look forward to my shaves, now, and enjoy the process. But the zing of buying something new I weigh against "Do I really want to shell out that money right now?" And the second often wins.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I, too, go through periods of shaving ennui--times when it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.

For refreshment, I check out the "Shave-of-the-Day (SOTD)" postings and borrow some of the enthusiasm I find there. Doing so helps remind me that there is pleasure to be had even doing mundane tasks.

This is not to suggest you're going to become an enthusiast yourself. It's to remind you that there is pleasure and satisfaction to be had even in shaving, and even if you're not a collector, hobbyist, or fanatic. Shaving need not become a passion--or a chore--but it can be something to be enjoyed, however briefly. Life feels better that way.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A similar thread related to SR shaving:

I’m genuinely surprised that after two years the novelty still hasn’t worn off. I still can’t wait to get out of bed and have a shave. The acquisition disorders have subsided but the joy of the shave has remained strong. The topic is much broader and deeper than I ever could have imagined.

I’ve tried a lot of products and have been lucky enough to find some real gems. It’s gotten increasingly hard for anything new to measure up to my current favourites to the extent that trying new stuff is almost pointless now. There are still things that I’d like to try but further acquisitions are at odds with my distain of clutter. I can’t stand having lots of stuff around. A few nice things are great but piles of junk make me uneasy. There’s a lot to be said for travelling lightly and in style.

That’s o.k.

Some elevate shaving to a pseudo-science, some consider it merely a daily chore that needs to be performed, some loose their initial interest after a while, and some simply derive pleasure from this daily routine without overthinking it.

Whatever works for you…

B

I started wet shaving back in February of last year. Got the Gentleman Jon, kit, with brush, blades, sloppy safety razor, alum block and scuttle. Thoroughly enjoyed new way of shaving! Bought a RazoRock .68 Game Changer, 100 Parker Blades, and some Proraso Green shave cream. I ended up buy an .84 Game Changer Plate.

The good news: Still using the .84, I find it to be absolute perfection. Zero irritation. Parker blades shave close but are a nice medium sharp blade which is all I need. Probably have 7 or 8 packs left.

My wife bought my sons some shaving stuff at TJ Maxx for Christmas. Creams, aftershaves, a faux badger brush, etc. They only shave once a week. Most of the junk you buy there works ok, but you don't need the brush because they don't lather like Proraso.

These days, I've been using their creams. Currently the Hudson Line Sandalwood. It's good like a Cremo or a Harry's (next on tap), but you don't need the bells and whistles. I've been shaving in the shower. Less time, and a closer irritant free shave.

Last time I used my Alum, it was for a paper cut.

Completely lost interest in trying any new blades or razors. To me, it's just something I do daily and will have to do tomorrow. i still enjoy reading all your inputs, but the FOMO is completely gone. When I run out of all the blades, cream and after shave, then I'll have to make decisions.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
I converted to DE shaving in January last year, and I’ve experienced the same thing. It usually coincides with days like today. My sciatica is flaring up and I didn’t get much rest, and today is a work day. I’m not really feeling like shaving and will likely skip it.

That’s o.k.

Some elevate shaving to a pseudo-science, some consider it merely a daily chore that needs to be performed, some loose their initial interest after a while, and some simply derive pleasure from this daily routine without overthinking it.

Whatever works for you…

B
Brutus, May I suggest an upgrade to your avatar? This is Big Brutus in Southeast Kansas.

F84CB883-5A53-47B6-85CC-E92D18CC905E.png

I converted to DE shaving in January last year, and I’ve experienced the same thing. It usually coincides with days like today. My sciatica is flaring up and I didn’t get much rest, and today is a work day. I’m not really feeling like shaving and will likely skip it.
Sounds like a bad day. Hang in there! Hopefully your sciatica flare up will pass soon so you’ll be able to get some rest. Wishing you the best! (Oh, one more thing: it’s just shaving, skip it if you’re not up to it. And I almost never skip, but it’s still just shaving.)

Been there! Half of my wife’s family is from SE Kansas. Big Brutus is ginormous and cool.
Brutus, May I suggest an upgrade to your avatar? This is Big Brutus in Southeast Kansas.

View attachment 1276193

Cute…

In the region where I grew up they used to mine lignite and used equipment of this size:

1622719878639.jpeg

But I think I rather stick to my Boeing 777 Avatar, which was the last airplane I flew before retirement.

B.

Sounds like a bad day. Hang in there! Hopefully your sciatica flare up will pass soon so you’ll be able to get some rest. Wishing you the best! (Oh, one more thing: it’s just shaving, skip it if you’re not up to it. And I almost never skip, but it’s still just shaving.)
I had already decided to skip this morning. That experiment with the four pass shave left my throat a little sore, so I was going to skip anyway.

Reactions: GNR
I started wet shaving back in February of last year. Got the Gentleman Jon, kit, with brush, blades, sloppy safety razor, alum block and scuttle. Thoroughly enjoyed new way of shaving! Bought a RazoRock .68 Game Changer, 100 Parker Blades, and some Proraso Green shave cream. I ended up buy an .84 Game Changer Plate.

The good news: Still using the .84, I find it to be absolute perfection. Zero irritation. Parker blades shave close but are a nice medium sharp blade which is all I need. Probably have 7 or 8 packs left.

My wife bought my sons some shaving stuff at TJ Maxx for Christmas. Creams, aftershaves, a faux badger brush, etc. They only shave once a week. Most of the junk you buy there works ok, but you don't need the brush because they don't lather like Proraso.

These days, I've been using their creams. Currently the Hudson Line Sandalwood. It's good like a Cremo or a Harry's (next on tap), but you don't need the bells and whistles. I've been shaving in the shower. Less time, and a closer irritant free shave.

Last time I used my Alum, it was for a paper cut.

Completely lost interest in trying any new blades or razors. To me, it's just something I do daily and will have to do tomorrow. i still enjoy reading all your inputs, but the FOMO is completely gone. When I run out of all the blades, cream and after shave, then I'll have to make decisions.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
For me, it comes in waves now. I have definitely felt the exact same way for all the very same reasons but then a vintage piece or a new razor from Shane will catch my eye and I'm having that tingling sensation again. One thing that keeps me enjoying this hobby is sharing. I give away lots (and I mean lots) of shaving gear. I think one of the main reasons I lose interest is that I have no one in real life to share the excitement with. Seeing someone's face light up and hearing them ask questions gets my engine going.

Hang in there! It will get better!

Funny how our minds work. For me, it’s the opposite: shaving helps a lot when things aren’t working. Some sense of order and self care or indulgence, maybe. Some control. Something about those 20 minutes of peace, alone, in the bathroom.

@AIBHappy , NO-FOMO is bliss! As simple as that!

Top Bottom