What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

I don't know if I've posted this one here and I'm not going to go back through 74 pages right now. It's a King Oscillator Razor, fom the 1930s I believe. To be honest I haven't used it but if the blades are okay, I'll try it tonight.

View attachment 1302437

View attachment 1302440

View attachment 1302441
1946. I think an injector blade might work there.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Here's a razor recently received from France. As you can see it has no branding. However, it resembles the Vib'Raz in all respects except it lacks the one defining feature of the Vib'Raz which is rollers on the cap! Makes me wonder if a razor can be categorized as being a particular brand or make if it lacks a main defining feature? If we consider this model as being within the Vib'Raz family, may I suggest we can call it a "No-Roller" Vib'Raz? I haven't tried it yet so cannot comment on the shave. Most reports are that it can be an excellent shaver but the approach to be taken is different from the usual in that some pressure is to be applied. Regarding the effect of rollers on this razor, it appears that some swear by them and others seem to think they don't really do much other than to "encourage" one to apply a little pressure, in order to turn the rollers, and thus obtain the benefit of the design. Most seem to mention the rollers are noisy, if nothing else. By the way, my understanding of the UNIS-France label, found on some Vib'Raz and Figaro razors, perhaps among others, is that this is not a brand mark but an indication of the item having been manufactured in France. Apparently this mark was used on a variety of widely different products. An internet search reveals that this mark was registered with the National Institute of Industrial Property on January 29, 1916 by the Union Nationale Inter-syndicale des Marques Collectives.

%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 1.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 2.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 3.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 4.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 5.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 6.JPG%22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 7.JPG %22No-Roller%22 Vib'Raz Safety Razor, France 8.JPG

Another vote for the (1965) Schick DE - aka Krona circa 1968
View attachment 1318435
I was genuinely surprised by how good the shave was from a Krona. It’s the best I’ve had yet with a DE. Just a great design that feels very natural in the hand.

I bought a Star 3 piece in gold. It had some stains that I was able to remove and is now basically flawless. I haven’t tried it yet but a few people have said it is a decent shaver.

I enjoy browsing auction sites to see what kinds of things show up and every so often something odd and unique appears. There really was an entire world of DE shaving beyond Gillette. Fascinating stuff!

Here's a razor recently received from France. As you can see it has no branding. However, it resembles the Vib'Raz in all respects except it lacks the one defining feature of the Vib'Raz which is rollers on the cap! Makes me wonder if a razor can be categorized as being a particular brand or make if it lacks a main defining feature? If we consider this model as being within the Vib'Raz family, may I suggest we can call it a "No-Roller" Vib'Raz? I haven't tried it yet so cannot comment on the shave. Most reports are that it can be an excellent shaver but the approach to be taken is different from the usual in that some pressure is to be applied. Regarding the effect of rollers on this razor, it appears that some swear by them and others seem to think they don't really do much other than to "encourage" one to apply a little pressure, in order to turn the rollers, and thus obtain the benefit of the design. Most seem to mention the rollers are noisy, if nothing else. By the way, my understanding of the UNIS-France label, found on some Vib'Raz and Figaro razors, perhaps among others, is that this is not a brand mark but an indication of the item having been manufactured in France. Apparently this mark was used on a variety of widely different products. An internet search reveals that this mark was registered with the National Institute of Industrial Property on January 29, 1916 by the Union Nationale Inter-syndicale des Marques Collectives.

Well, here's my "One Shave In" Report: This is an exceptional razor. When I tried to apply a little pressure I got, to no real surprise, a cut. When I approached the razor my usual way (find the angle/edge, work the angle/edge slowly and patiently) it provided a very smooth and close shave, even in traditional problem areas for me like the left side of my neck. So, I recommend this as one to try should one come your way, you won't be disappointed, as others have also commented.

View attachment 1346078View attachment 1346079View attachment 1346080View attachment 1346081View attachment 1346082View attachment 1346083View attachment 1346085 View attachment 1346086

Unknown razor, unknown year... bought it from France, so it might be a local French producer. It came with that tag (possibly attached by the seller, or by the previous owner?) that says maybe "Lejer"?
View attachment 1188807

(P)ages ago, we talked about this razor, and thought the little hand-written label wrote "Lejer"... If you look from further, I think the "LEJ" letters are actually just a capital "GER", which are the first letters of Gerbault, which this razor is, as I mentioned earlier, even though the razor was unbranded.

I just added the following set to my collection, definitely proving this razor was sold under the Gerbault brand !

Cheers ;)

(P)ages ago, we talked about this razor, and thought the little hand-written label wrote "Lejer"... If you look from further, I think the "LEJ" letters are actually just a capital "GER", which are the first letters of Gerbault, which this razor is, as I mentioned earlier, even though the razor was unbranded.

I just added the following set to my collection, definitely proving this razor was sold under the Gerbault brand !

Cheers ;)
First of all, I apologize for being late with my reply. I didn't log in in months. Thank you very much, for the info. Yes, now... I can clearly see the "Ger" on the label. I feel like an iliterate. :)

British made Personna. I guess it's around 1950's. I didn't fine any info, about it. Very good shaver. The aluminum handle was pristine. I managed to darken it, while disinfecting.

Personna 001.jpg
Personna 002.jpg
Personna 003.jpg
Personna 004.jpg

Top Bottom