What's new

The Non-hobbyist restore/rescale picture thread (not official hobbyist for B&B)

So I've been cranking these out so it was suggested I start a picture thread for Non-hobbyists who rescale just for fun

wade and butcher celeb 7/8 w/ barbers notch in horn/MOP kirinite wedge

Was testing out a new horn source and i must say it looks pretty good although unlike masecrafts blanks these stick too much to the tape and peeled of a little of the horn when i separated the scales...

anyways here's a wade and butcher 7/8 I got off ebay for 34 bucks.... the guy didn't have the word "razor" in title and mispelled butcher so bidding was low... how I found it? i dunno

So translucent horn with MOP kirinite wedge and NiAg hardware... very simple and elegant... For alot of the larger razors I just can't go wild with the design... it doesn't look right... Decided not to go mirror polish on the blade on this one... I like the engraving quality on this antique... but the horn shined up real nicely!

Once again started this at 11pm so did this one by hand tools... Cut out with coping saw, dremel to match sides together then hand file the whole thing, sand paper is down to size... Yada yada..

before:

photo(21) by Heespharm, on Flickr

After

IMG_0793 by Heespharm, on Flickr

IMG_0808 by Heespharm, on Flickr

IMG_0820 by Heespharm, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice job and quite the catch on ebay! I also won a W&B just like that, but it sure doesn't happen all that often! Mine was sold as a "butcher razor" I think.

I really like pattern in this horn. It looks like a good balance of light & dark. Have you tried going with bone yet? Its a PITA to work with, but it can give some very very nice results.

I've also had bad luck with one set of scales being laminated off when removing the double-sided tape. It hasn't happened since, but now I am extra careful when removing the tape. I also sand everything very smooth on the inside (even polish it to a finish) before putting the double-sided tape, so it doesn't stick permanently.

I should finish 2-3 razors this weekend, I'll post a few pics as well.

Beautiful as usual. I have two questions; 1. When do you sleep? 2. You seem to turn out 10 to 20 beautiful razors per week and I don't see you selling them. You must have a huge collection. Are you planning to just let it grow forever?

Not a criticism in any way just curious. I have started a hobby making razors and am actively thinking about how to keep my razor numbers down to about seven. I'm hoping I don't have trouble letting them go.

Beautiful as usual. I have two questions; 1. When do you sleep? 2. You seem to turn out 10 to 20 beautiful razors per week and I don't see you selling them. You must have a huge collection. Are you planning to just let it grow forever?

Not a criticism in any way just curious. I have started a hobby making razors and am actively thinking about how to keep my razor numbers down to about seven. I'm hoping I don't have trouble letting them go.

Maybe eventually I'll sell some... I'm just working through the blades I cleaned up a while ago and some new purchases I've made... The plan is to restore a bunch and only keep my favorites... But each one is unique so when it comes time to sell, there will be a lot of hard choices to make...

As far as sleep, I work retail, sometimes I work the closing shift (store closes at midnight) so I don't have to go to work until 5p... Other weeks I open that means I get off at 2pm... I used to sit and watch tv all day... Razor restore is a much better use of my time

Very nice job and quite the catch on ebay! I also won a W&B just like that, but it sure doesn't happen all that often! Mine was sold as a "butcher razor" I think.

I really like pattern in this horn. It looks like a good balance of light & dark. Have you tried going with bone yet? Its a PITA to work with, but it can give some very very nice results.

I've also had bad luck with one set of scales being laminated off when removing the double-sided tape. It hasn't happened since, but now I am extra careful when removing the tape. I also sand everything very smooth on the inside (even polish it to a finish) before putting the double-sided tape, so it doesn't stick permanently.

I should finish 2-3 razors this weekend, I'll post a few pics as well.

Nice! Post them up! I hate working with bone... I have 4 camel bone blanks but the smell kills me and it seems to make more dust than acrylic or horn... I'm planning on using it for wedges.. Also don't care for most wood scales(just my personal preference)

I wanna get into lead wedges but I don't have a good place to melt it and shaping it can be loud with all the hammering

I have some micarta I should be using soon that should be exciting... If I had a workshop I would would use g10 more but I need better ventilation for that... I suppose I would shape and sand it in a bucket of water but that's too much work

Last edited:
You can buy the lead wedges on the bay. They're crazy expensive, but they can be had. I was thinking about getting some blank pieces in roughly the right thickness, and use a cutoff attachment with my dremel to cut it off (used the cutoff once before, not the best, but it works). Then shape with a DMT, its fairly soft, so a low grit should make pretty easy work of it.

I really like the shape and look of those scales, and your peening job is great!

Ever since I switched from a 3 oz chasing hammer to a 4 oz ball peen with a larger head I found my pins are more even.... Oh and my 3" mini buffing wheel from harbour freight is really good for flattening pins before peening on the grinding wheel side and buffing scales oand pinning onthe cotton side... My pinning work has Got Tons better... Plus it's so small 4"x4x6 that it sits next to my pencil sharpener and is about the same size

Well, here are a few restores I did recently. All of them were pretty easy going since I didn't need to re-do any scales. Doing some decent photography however really isn't all that easy! And it definitely shows things way worst than they actually are. (I prefer think I prefer landscape photography!)

Anyhow, first off, my first Dorko. It was in pretty bad shape with some devil's pit all over. I couldn't remove all, but did what I could. The worst is towards the toe. I'm looking forward to trying it out.:
$DSCF9142.jpg
$DSCF9144.jpg
$DSCF9156.jpg

Then we have a very nice but small 4/8 tennis. I really really like this one, the scales are perfect for it, small and nimble, and it is in top shape:
$DSCF9145.jpg
$DSCF9147.jpg

Another I had laying around for a long while a French razor by J.Jibe.I was unsure which scales to use on it, until I finally saved some old scrap scales from another razor which were a nice fit for it.

$DSCF9148.jpg$DSCF9149.jpg

And finally an Edeco which I rescaled in some scales which I had bought from Gamma a long while ago. I think the shoulderless blade fits nicely with the style of scales. Somehow I had a really tough time to get the colors to come out right on the MOP inlay, they are actually a little lighter in color, but its close enough.

$DSCF9151.jpg$DSCF9152.jpg$DSCF9153.jpg

Oh and a red imp not too long ago, also from Gamma, restored in salvaged red scales, which I'll probably gift to a friend of mine who wants to try straights :)

$DSCF9074.jpg$DSCF9075.jpg

Now I'm off to finish setting the bevels on most of these!

I spent pretty much all afternoon shaping those scales. I really really need to get myself a belt sander, bone takes forever to thin out, especially from thick blanks.

I'm waiting for some nickel silver rods to arrive next week, so i'll probably wait until then to attach the blade.
$DSCF9167.jpg$DSCF9171.jpg

Just need to figure out the wedge material...

Top Bottom