What's new

The Non-hobbyist restore/rescale picture thread (not official hobbyist for B&B)

Here's where I started: a 7/8 Wade & Butcher with broken scales. The blade is in decent shape but there is the typical build-up of black rust and scratches, particularly around the tang's pivot point. The original hardware (brass washers) are in sad, deteriorating shape so I'll be replacing them as well as the scales.
$w&B_before2.jpg

For the new scales, I decided upon a more 'modern' angular shape, made from black buffalo horn. I beveled the edges as well. This shot was taken during some of the hand-sanding. I thinned the scales from their initial 3/16" to a final thickness of .015.

$scale_01.jpg

For the wedge, I used white bone, lined with .010 brass. Final tapered thickness was .065.
$wedge_brass.jpg

The Blade: I used a series of compounds on the buffer (80 >240 >400>600) to remove much of the build up. Next step was hand-polishing (600>1200>4k>6k>8k). This shot was taken halfway through the polishing stages. Some of the blade pitting remains as I was attempting to strike a balance between removing pitting and not harm the engraving.
$blade_post_compounds_reflect01.jpg

Pinning & Alignment: I'm using brass domed washers and brass pins. On the pivot end, the assembly sequence is Peened end>domed washer>inner support washer>scale>inner brass thrust washer>blade>inner thrust washer>scale>inner support washer>domed washer >end to be peened. Probably my least favorite part of assembly as my bumbling fingers are always dropping washers….
$pivot_aligment.jpg

Continued in next post….

Blade alignment and clearance….checking to see the blade aligns centered in the scales and the amount of clearance from blade tip to wedge is +/- 1/8"
$blade_clearnce.jpg

Cleaned and polished…next step is: the hones….
$wb_01.jpg$wb_02.jpg$wb_07.jpg$wb_09.jpg

Another old stubby. Rodgers ~1820-1830 George IV regent stamp. New streaked horn scales. Condition is less than perfect, but a fantastic shaver none the less.
$20150505_094740.jpg
$20150505_094950.jpg
$20150505_095014.jpg

Top Bottom