What's new

The Non-hobbyist restore/rescale picture thread (not official hobbyist for B&B)

well i've made the step to hobbyist... so i won't be posting here anymore.. i'll be posting in "the goods" sticky

well i've made the step to hobbyist... so i won't be posting here anymore.. i'll be posting in "the goods" sticky

Yeah I saw that, I guess I'll keep it alive for a while, if others contribute as well! Goodluck with the new Hobbyist status, I think it was unavoidable!

I've got one I'm working on. Hopefully will have time for the final polish, pinning, and honing this week

Please post when you're done!

I can't wait to get my Nickel Silver rods, I have decided to use a lead wedge I saved from scrapped scales for the bone scales, I'm confident it will look awesome :) Now I just have to find a way to grind down the stainless steel washers so they are a little bit smaller. Don't know why they aren't the same size as the brass ones since I got them both at the same time from Microfasteners.

Please post when you're done!

I can't wait to get my Nickel Silver rods, I have decided to use a lead wedge I saved from scrapped scales for the bone scales, I'm confident it will look awesome :) Now I just have to find a way to grind down the stainless steel washers so they are a little bit smaller. Don't know why they aren't the same size as the brass ones since I got them both at the same time from Microfasteners.

yeah that puzzles me too but it turns out i love the size of the double stack stainless... i dunno when i'll switch back to brass

yeah that puzzles me too but it turns out i love the size of the double stack stainless... i dunno when i'll switch back to brass

Hmm with which washers do you double stack them? The only size i have is the one is the ones I used on the razors I previously posted (for these I used some stainless steel nails as pinning rods, so they don't mushroom as much...maybe with the nickel silver it will look a bit more balanced), #0 stainless steel.

Hmm with which washers do you double stack them? The only size i have is the one is the ones I used on the razors I previously posted (for these I used some stainless steel nails as pinning rods, so they don't mushroom as much...maybe with the nickel silver it will look a bit more balanced), #0 stainless steel.

From micro fastners I buy the FWS00 and FWSSO one is narrow and one is the one u use...

Here is an example of what it looks like...
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386543569.401141.jpg

From micro fastners I buy the FWS00 and FWSSO one is narrow and one is the one u use...

Here is an example of what it looks like...
View attachment 391858

Ok so if I understand correclty, I should've ordered one more size of washers on my last order from Microfasteners!? Thanks for telling me, I thought there was no smaller sized SS washers!

Hmm...one more order to make... I guess I was starting to run "low" on washers...

Ok so if I understand correclty, I should've ordered one more size of washers on my last order from Microfasteners!? Thanks for telling me, I thought there was no smaller sized SS washers!

Hmm...one more order to make... I guess I was starting to run "low" on washers...

Yeah I was getting worried so I ordered 200 of each stainless and brass... Now I have a lifetimes worth! Plus some to PIF in a "restoration kit"... Coming soon... Androidad got my first one

Yeah I was getting worried so I ordered 200 of each stainless and brass... Now I have a lifetimes worth! Plus some to PIF in a "restoration kit"... Coming soon... Androidad got my first one

Yeah this time around I think i will re-order 200 of everything. I actually did 2 past orders with MF. I didn't order enough the first time around, started running low and re-ordered some. Now I still have enough for probably 15 razors, but I'd really like to get those narrow SS washers for a better fit.

Let's hope this is my last order for a long while. They won't ship those washers in a normal envelope and overcharge for shipping everytime.

On the subject of supplies, I've ordered some 1.5mm (1/16) thick celluloid sheet from China, they have some very nice patterns and should make some nice scales. However 1.5mm is very very thin, so I may have to laminate them if its not solid enough on its own. If it is solid enough though, I think it will make for a very nice new source of material. Also if you search for pearloid sheet in ebay, there's a lot being sold for guitar heads. They seem to be laminated with 3 plies, so I'm not sure how it would work for scales, but I might try it at some point.

Yeah this time around I think i will re-order 200 of everything. I actually did 2 past orders with MF. I didn't order enough the first time around, started running low and re-ordered some. Now I still have enough for probably 15 razors, but I'd really like to get those narrow SS washers for a better fit.

Let's hope this is my last order for a long while. They won't ship those washers in a normal envelope and overcharge for shipping everytime.

On the subject of supplies, I've ordered some 1.5mm (1/16) thick celluloid sheet from China, they have some very nice patterns and should make some nice scales. However 1.5mm is very very thin, so I may have to laminate them if its not solid enough on its own. If it is solid enough though, I think it will make for a very nice new source of material. Also if you search for pearloid sheet in ebay, there's a lot being sold for guitar heads. They seem to be laminated with 3 plies, so I'm not sure how it would work for scales, but I might try it at some point.

Man U have a unique set of problems with shipping living in Canada... I live in Houston... We have a knife making supply and lapping film supply brick and mortar stores here... So convenient...

This is my third order from microfasteners this time I over ordered to make sure it'll be a while before I need to order again

Man U have a unique set of problems with shipping living in Canada... I live in Houston... We have a knife making supply and lapping film supply brick and mortar stores here... So convenient...

This is my third order from microfasteners this time I over ordered to make sure it'll be a while before I need to order again

Yeah it often sucks... Even just bidding on ebay, not only is the selection much smaller (not everybody ships up north), but it often costs $10-15 than people bidding in the US, so you end up having a hard time winning such auctions. I guess lots of people in Europe have the same issues for some products though.

iIll play along here for the time being.

Harrison Bros & Howson, came in an awful set of home made scales (stretching it to call them that...)
White streaked horn came in today, so made the scales for it. Wedge is a piece of Jade Kirinite that I had laying around (scrap...)

Pinning is done with NiAg rod and Stainless washers. I really need to get a better hammer, as my BFH isn't getting it done as smoothly as I would like.

Still need to hone it out, but this one is nearly done.

iIll play along here for the time being.

Harrison Bros & Howson, came in an awful set of home made scales (stretching it to call them that...)
White streaked horn came in today, so made the scales for it. Wedge is a piece of Jade Kirinite that I had laying around (scrap...)

Pinning is done with NiAg rod and Stainless washers. I really need to get a better hammer, as my BFH isn't getting it done as smoothly as I would like.

Still need to hone it out, but this one is nearly done.

Have u tried the back of a spoon? U may laugh but I've gotten nicer pins from the spoon than my 3oz chasing hammer

thanks guys. Ill probably be picking up one or the other tomorrow. either that, or ill spin something up on the lathe. either way the BFH has come to an end

Top Bottom