What's new

The Nine Reason PIF

This last year-plus has been incredibly difficult for so many. Some of our own here on B&B have felt life’s barbs. The news seems perpetually rife with angst, anger, bitterness and outright hatred, not to mention unbelievable lunacy and opportunists who capitalize on every shred of it. Many of us find refuge here among like-minded folks, a reprieve from an external world seemingly gone mad. One of my purposes with this PIF is to help us, if only for a few moments, lift one another above the fray so we can perhaps glimpse again the light within and perhaps simply remember the gossamer wisdom of our better angels.

It is also in part dedicated to everyone who has lost someone dear recently. Certainly, my beautiful Denise, but also in respectful memory of @DoctorShavegood's wife, Linda.

3+3+3=9

I had been away for a little while after Denise (my Bella Dea) passed. Life lost its lustre, and even small joys—like my morning shaves—were little but a hazy smear on the day instead of the usual pleasure. To be sure, I could hear the birds outside, but I couldn’t hear their song; I could see the sunrise but completely miss the dawn. Life hadn’t simply thrown me for a loop, it had squeezed me into a Gordian knot. Even as I write this I haven’t the slightest idea how I made it out of the hospital that morning, I truly don’t. I am genuinely convinced I didn’t have solely my angels about me that morning, surely I had a small cadre of supernal assistance to fumble my way through the dark on that sunny February morning. Two days later I would encounter a similar cadre right here. Plenty of folks, none of which I had ever met, much less talked to, offered their most sincere condolences and support.

I am but one of a number here who have all too vividly experienced life’s slings and arrows as of late. This community has played an important (if quiet) role in my slow resurrection. Badger & Blade is an apotheosis, a potent example, of the greater parts of our often frail and flawed selves. We are an infinitesimal fraction of web denizens, but we are some fine representations of what it means to be warmly human. Within these forums we encounter escapism, information, and if you look behind the curtain you’ll likely discover the subdued pulse of Hope.

Members often post PIF threads as a way to share and give back. Some simply give back for the sheer joy of doing so—@Graydog is one of several individuals who do so. He recently sent me a stunning, beautiful brush upon which I have bestowed the sobriquet Bella Dea, Italian for ‘beautiful goddess’. Denise, like @Graydog’s brush creations, was both stunning and beautiful, in more ways than the mere physical.

My first 3 Reasons for creating this PIF:
Denise was my best friend, my precious constant, and my everything. Three genuine, heartfelt reasons to honor her in this manner.

Three More . . .
Which go hand-in-hand with her (and all our loves): Hope, Love, and Romance.

And finally, three more reflective of our communal nature here:
  • The desire to give back to a community which has given to me.
  • For the unflinching support from complete strangers when any of us hit rough waters.
  • To say “thank you” to a cadre of brothers and sisters who, in my opinion, exhibit some of the best traits of humanity on this slice of the internet.
Every item in this PIF is brand new. Moreover, I am doling out two of these packages, which contain:

View attachment 1286755

1 - WCS Midnight Razor, Black, Stainless Steel (closed comb); 3 piece.
3.85” in height
Weight - 77 grams
My understanding is it’s on the mild side, so a really good place for a newbie to traditional shaving.

View attachment 1286757

1 5oz tub Lakewood Coquette shave soap
I was so excited to see her that morning and wanted to be as smooth shaven as possible, and smell nice too, when I leaned in to kiss her. Coquette was just the ticket to achieve both goals. Red raspberry, pink grapefruit, and a hint of rose.

*Bonus*: I sent an email to Linda at Lakewood explaining the PIF. She generously added a bar of Coquette bath soap to the order simply because of the nature of the PIF (she knows my story about using Coquette the day of Denise’s passing). So, each winner will receive a 4oz, very nice smelling, bar of soap as well!

1 - Yaqi 26mm synthetic shave brush (Tuxedo knot)
I used my Yaqi 24mm badger to whip up some gorgeous lather that Monday morning Bella left us. (Note: these were listed as somehow defective in appearance but should not have any damage that would affect performance . . . I had to keep costs reasonable!). Here's a better look at the brush:

View attachment 1286756
That line you see on the handle lip is a trick of the light, not a blemish. I couldn't find any major blemishes. For well under $10 these are some nice brushes!

3 - Coates Shaving Creams
These tubes of cream are small, only 1.7 fluid ounces. But having used two of them I can attest to how amazingly well they perform. Their scent isn’t overpowering but very pleasant. One tube each of:
  • Rose — for all the beautifully sentimental reasons we attach to roses. Bella was certainly my rose.
  • Lime — Citrusy and a touch zesty; she certainly could be the latter.
  • Lavender — this scent to me has always been somewhat reminiscent of floral sensuality, of natural beauty; Bella had both in spades inside and out.
9 tucks of blades
Astra SP; Voskhod; Shark Super Chrome (I’ve often wondered what makes them “super”); Tatra; Derby Premium; Rapira Swedish Supersteel (I guess regular steel sucks); Gillette Perma-Sharp; Gillette Nacet; Wilkinson Sword (India)—these have 10 blades in a tuck.

That’s 50 blades, good for at least 6 months of daily shaves, longer if you stretch the usage.

Completely Optional:

In 2009 I had a collection of short stories published titled The Light, The Dark, and Ember Between. Of course Denise got a copy straight away. The stories speak to Hope in differing degrees. If you’d like I would be only too happy to include a copy of it with the package—if you don’t want it that’s okay too; no obligation whatsoever. And if anyone is curious as to how one simple man managed to fall for a goddess I will also email you a PDF of A Sense of My Bella Dea; it’s a booklet, if you will, just 54 pages.

How To Enter
You might think that for a PIF named "Nine Reasons" there might be nine ways to enter. My posts are long enough as it is.
  • I would love to open this up globally, but we’re all aware what shipping costs are like. So I grudgingly constrain this to CONUS.
  • I will leave this open for (as of right now) a week. I'll see what transpires and decide from there.
  • I will use a random number generator to choose the winners. As much as I enjoy doing a PIF this one part is the absolute hardest—I wish I had enough to give to all entrants.
  • To enter simply state “I’m in!”, then . . .
  • Leave us a story about the woman who makes your every day worthwhile. Is it her laughter? Perhaps her smile? Can you imagine your world without her? Has she made you a better man? What about her makes you weak in the knees or eternally grateful?
My example will come as no surprise . . .

Denise was my best friend, my confidante, and as time passed she became my ardent raison d’etre—my most important reason, I believe my silver years’ purpose, for being. She taught me the value of someone who would let me be me without judgment or scorn, or try to change me . . . sheer, unfettered acceptance. She taught me what love truly means. She indeed was then, and continues to be, one of my better angels. I dearly miss her voice, and have to smile when I recall her laugh. She absolutely has made me a better man for having blessed me with her presence. This PIF is one more way for me to honor her, as well as a way for me to honor those on B&B who continue to give of themselves.

I miss you Bella. I hope you’re proud of me for giving back in your honor. I can’t replace you, but I can—and will—continue to love you with every fiber of my being, physical and ethereal.

Poignant and ever so deeply moving words.

We will likely never meet in real life but I'm absolutely happy to have you back here!

(Respectfully not in.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Respectfully not in, but I have to say, I'm sat here with tears streaming down my face, what a lovely tribute to happy memories. Myself, I'm very much a hermit by nature and yet to find a life partner. There have been a couple of couple of women I've known where we got inside each other's heads. Sadly it wasn't meant to be, mainly because we were heading in very different directions in life.
Don't give up my friend.

I'm sure there is a War Department out there for you. But they are a rare beast.

I have a genuinely special update you'se guys!

I was messaged by one of our fellow members here who has offered to pick up the shipping for one international winner if I open one of the two slots for them. This is precisely the kind of generosity I alluded to in the original post. I am truly floored that someone would, out of the blue, offer it up.

So, my most sincere thanks to @martym for his most generous gift.

It's official, gents: I now open this up to one CONUS and one international winner. This is a tremendous feeling! Thank you Marty for your offer!

Thank you, Jim. Much appreciated.

I didn't think entries would be as scarce as rain in the desert (it hasn't rained here much, folks). I'm less than 24 hours into it so I'm hoping Time will bring in some participants. I've never seen a PIF where the creator has to say "I can't give this stuff away!"

I am grateful for everyone who has read it, moreso to folks like @TexOkie Shaver, @FarmerTan, and @trentr for sharing their stories. I'm hoping for more.

In the absence of more, I may just have to threaten to post A Sense Of My Bella Dea chapter by chapter. Like Trent stated, I'll take any and every opportunity to tell the world about Denise. 😍

Oh, and a big shout of thanks to @DoctorShavegood, one of our mods who edited the How To Enter part to now include one international participant/winner. Thank you, sir!

I was curious about trying to go to the welcome threads and send some new comers this way. This is just too perfect a starter kit AND display of the "realness" of the all too fake world.....it just has to be meant to introduce new person to it all lol just has to be
I appreciate that, Trent! By all means, please do!

Top Bottom