What's new

The nice old box thread

Legion

Staff member
The pics of the stoppers are ok but the others trash, my apologies.

This is the leather side. It's thick and porous/ flaky. No raw rubber.
View attachment 1456994

These side views are garbage but I put them in anyway..
View attachment 1456995View attachment 1456996

This is the stopper that feels like leather with a raw rubber "smudge" heated and smeared across it, id guess with a pointer but what do I know.

View attachment 1456997

Id love to redo the tons of bases I've got but I'm terrified of running them if I start sanding them... id like to do this one with original tools/oils/latex(kinda like Japan's laws on traditional tea houses) but I got to run down the info..I have a love for lost knowledge/art forms/trades so I tend to have an unnatural draw to that kind of thing for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only young(ish) guy who wholly revolts against the modern world.
My guess (just a guess) is that the rubber was a strip of old gum rubber inner tube, that has long since perished.

This isn't really a box but a bar on a stone that I suspect is very old. The base has two grooves cut across the bottom(across the width) which appears to either have leather stoppers in both with one covered in raw latex that had been drying for a very long time or a leather in one and a raw latex stopper in the other that had since dried hard. I used to grow rubber trees and harvest their latex so I'm pretty certain of the materials. My question is, what time period would it be common to find a UK stone, with raw rubber as an anti-slip, in a stone that very well might have been hand cut? I know @cotedupy, @Legion, @timwic (and many others) know lots about UK stones, much more than me. I know I enjoy the ones I've got immensely and I'd like to nail down an ID and time period for this one. My kids have a huge interest in sharpening and is like to secure enough unicorn stones to last multiple lifetimes, my son wants to start a sharpening business. I try to grab heirloom quality stones playing rock roulette but they don't always come with a label...I care a lot more about performance but it's be nice to get back you'd of Rockstar stones. May the good Lord help me and keep me from the temptation of jnats, I'll have to start an import business to keep from losing everything...

Oh god... I don't know. Legion's your expert for this kind of thing!

If you can tell whether it's natural or synthetic rubber then you might be able to have a guess at age in some way I imagine. Synthetic rubber started being produced around 1900. Before that natural rubber used in the UK would mostly have come from India, I believe.

(Not certain about the above. Just something I have in my mind).

Oh god... I don't know. Legion's your expert for this kind of thing!

If you can tell whether it's natural or synthetic rubber then you might be able to have a guess at age in some way I imagine. Synthetic rubber started being produced around 1900. Before that natural rubber used in the UK would mostly have come from India, I believe.

(Not certain about the above. Just something I have in my mind).
I'm 99.999% it's raw, natural rubber latex. It's completely dehydrated of all oils and/or water, but the touch it unmistakable, poppies are the only latex that feels similar but thicker at first exposure.

My guess (just a guess) is that the rubber was a strip of old gum rubber inner tube, that has long since perished.
Maybe if it was turned into latex gum again or melted extremely carefully. No nails or glue that I can tell in the base, I don't know, everything about this one has kinda thrown me. I keep beating down every idea that I think is reasonable after close inspection.

Legion

Staff member

View attachment 1456994

This is the stopper that feels like leather with a raw rubber "smudge" heated and smeared across it, id guess with a pointer but what do I know.

View attachment 1456997

Id love to redo the tons of bases I've got but I'm terrified of running them if I start sanding them... id like to do this one with original tools/oils/latex(kinda like Japan's laws on traditional tea houses) but I got to run down the info..I have a love for lost knowledge/art forms/trades so I tend to have an unnatural draw to that kind of thing for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only young(ish) guy who wholly revolts against the modern world.
On my last one, it had marks, paint(?), Mold(?), who knows. I gave it a light enough sand to get rid of the scum, then gave the box two rubs of boiled linseed oil, which was probably what they used in the day. You can’t tell which areas were sanded.

Legion

Staff member

View attachment 1456994

View attachment 1456997

The side that you identified as leather, was that because of the colour? Just from the pics, I call unvulcanised rubber on both sides.

No idea on age, never tried to clean it either.
05687166-4048-4264-9E79-FFC8373AD850.jpeg
41B875F1-28C4-4EBD-88A4-6535D22C5ECA.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I bought this one because it was advertised as a natural stone (from the pics I was hoping for an Idwal) and I liked the box. On arrival it turned out to be a India. But the seller was ok and gave me a partial refund, so now I have another India, in a box that someone spent a ridiculous amount of time on, for an inexpensive, hardware store hone.

The main problem is the box is so well made that the stone is completely wedged in place, with not enough showing to grab and try to pull it free. I'd like to use the box for a fancier stone, but the India is stuck in there like Excalibur, and I am not worthy enough to remove it.

F3CAB0C6-36C9-4957-A167-7CCBD8A6AC29.jpeg
FDE893F7-EDB7-433D-A6E5-38723AA8B285.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
This idea is way out there and I have no idea if it would work, but could you drill say a 1/4” hole in the bottom of the stand to the stone and use a rod to apply pressure to the stone? Something like a 2-jaw gear puller might allow you to keep a little pressure on the stone while you heat it up.

F9D24C40-3B57-4FF7-AA16-EE12E1666E61.jpeg

If it wasn't banged in there with plaster under it. Drying it out and holding it over say your bed and wacking the edge upside down on your hand it should come loose. I have stones that in the humid times only release by doing this since they fit so tight. You can try twisting the wood lightly while upside down too. Wood expands in the humidity and shrinks when dry. Just some ideas to try anyway.

Top Bottom