What's new

The Nib acquisitions for 2022

Just picked up this handmade briefcase I intend to put some of my fountain pen and ink collection in.

Picked up the Earl Grey Tea ink by Diamine that was made for Reddit. I rather enjoy it.

It's in my new safari Savannah, (olive drab). Black EF nib.

My partner is getting inch pens now too and grabbed some Noodler's Elysian plus a few pens of her own.

Attachments

• 20220328_112106_HDR.jpg
    20220328_112106_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220328_112121_HDR.jpg
    20220328_112121_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Amazon Japan ordered Saturday, received Wednesday in Canada.

Son got pencil stuff:
Fancy pencil lead, Pilot Cocoon, Pilot S30, uni Kuru Toga Advance Upgrade

I got:
Pilot Custom Heritage 912 FA nib, Midori A5...and some Diamine Graphite from amazon.ca as well.

PXL_20220330_171059978.jpg

PXL_20220330_172652012.jpg

PXL_20220330_172638196.jpg

PXL_20220330_172751866.jpg

My new pencil mechanisms arrived today!

I have the 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm inserts.

Modern Fuel Titanium click pencil. All metal. Zero plastic components.

The stylus tips also came today.

Set it up with the 0.9mm lead and a stylus.

You can put in an eraser or titanium end cap as well.

Love this pencil.

Attachments

• 20220330_175333.jpg
    20220330_175333.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
@Altreac @Tomo fyi, yesterday (Mar 30) was National Pencil Day!

We weren't expecting our Amazon Japan order to show up, but it was fitting. Me and the boys also made sure to order 1 pencil each, a couple of them should be here this week and the last one is coming from overseas.
Very cool. I didn't know that.

It's really cool you're getting your kids into writing.
One of our two is into fountain pens already, he's got a couple already. A Preppy and a Kukuno.
The younger one isn't so into it yet, but with myself, mom and his brother all using them, we're hoping he won't pick up disposable stuff.

I really like the Modern Fuel pencil. This one is a solid billet of titanium that was milled to fit steel guts. I've never had a pencil with exchangeable mechanisms before.

Getting packages you didn't expect early is awesome. It was the same for my delivery yesterday.

Alright, here is my first post to the nib acquisition thread! A wonderful PIF from @airmech thank you again Tom! Two orders from the Zon, a Goulet and a Lemur Ink order! I think I should be set for a while! Thank you everyone for all the great advice so far! It really has made something that used to be a chore, so enjoyable! Have a great day y’all! 😎🤙View attachment 1429225View attachment 1429223View attachment 1429220View attachment 1429222
What a great PIF! It does look like all that swag will keep you busy for a bit. Congrats!

no offense, but from the photos it looks 'banana' shaped. Am I wrong? I say this because I bought a pen ages ago that was 'curved' and I didn't see it immediately, nor the seller. Never went back there though.

no offense, but from the photos it looks 'banana' shaped. Am I wrong? I say this because I bought a pen ages ago that was 'curved' and I didn't see it immediately, nor the seller. Never went back there though.
It was sold as a "second (imperfections)" and I knew it going in. There is a curve at the end, and when held to write that end is up. It feels good in hand to write. I need to learn more about the Symphony to see if the curve is intentional or, as I suspect, is the Imperfection.

Edit: it is an imperfection.

Last edited:
I need to learn more about the Symphony to see if the curve is intentional or, as I suspect, is the Imperfection.

It has warped over time. It can be repaired, with very careful application of controlled heat, but you risk irreversible damage if it goes wrong (and for first time repairers, that is a given).

I'd just enjoy it with all its idiosyncracies; pens are like people in that way! :)

@silverlifter is right. My banana Parker Vacumatic is also the first pen I refurbished. I have been told how I can 'unbend' it but I keep it as is as I do not want to damage it completely. I'm disappointed that I did not spot it immediately though but now I use it fairly frequently. Old nibs are great!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Another vintage pen added to the collection. I've become very interested in the Esterbrook line. I've got some bids in on a J and an SJ but already won this A101 model. I'm a sucker for NOS items. The prices weren't awful but living in Canada this shipping is a killer but alas, it is what it is. Will also be my first restoration of a sac but found a good instruction set on FP Network for this model.

And...I had placed an offer on a couple of Esterbrooks - basically getting 2 for what 1 would normally cost. One has a totally messed up nib, but I've ordered a few spare Esterbrook nibs from Anderson along with the supplies to replace the sacs in these two and the A101.

They were listed as "probably J's" but I think the grey one MIGHT be an SJ because it looks shorter and the blue one might be an LJ if so because it doesn't look noticeably wider than the shorter one. But pics can be skewed.

So I went from zero Esterbrooks to three of them and four nibs in a day...LOL

NIBS: (9668, 2668, 2550, 1551)

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
And...I had placed an offer on a couple of Esterbrooks - basically getting 2 for what 1 would normally cost. One has a totally messed up nib, but I've ordered a few spare Esterbrook nibs from Anderson along with the supplies to replace the sacs in these two and the A101.

They were listed as "probably J's" but I think the grey one MIGHT be an SJ because it looks shorter and the blue one might be an LJ if so because it doesn't look noticeably wider than the shorter one. But pics can be skewed.

So I went from zero Esterbrooks to three of them and four nibs in a day...LOL

NIBS: (9668, 2668, 2550, 1551)

View attachment 1440421
Very nice looking pens.

Top Bottom