What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2021.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This was found in my in-laws attic. The nib seems to be "crossed over" on itself.
IMG_20210611_142634913.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wow, that's unique! Must be some kind of a dip pen. It looks a lot older than 1959, even if that's when it was apparently gifted. Cool inscription. Who's Elsie?
The War Department's grama.

I fixed the nib without issue. May try it out.

A hot attic is no place to store that material the light colored part of the handle is made from!

Wow, that's unique! Must be some kind of a dip pen. It looks a lot older than 1959, even if that's when it was apparently gifted. Cool inscription. Who's Elsie?
I'm willing to be corrected, but I doubt parker ever made a pen that looked like that, let alone were still selling it in 1959. My guess is that it is a repurposed box.

Cool find though. Fancy practicing your copperplate?

Zebra V-301 fountain pen in black ink. There was no nib size listed on the packaging, but every seller online lists it as 0.7mm
No idea how it writes yet (it's a $6 fountain pen) because I'm cleaning it. But it did come with two ink cartridges.

Last edited:
Zebra V-301 fountain pen in black ink. There was no nib size listed on the packaging, but every seller online lists it as 0.7mm
No idea how it writes yet (it's a $6 fountain pen) because I'm cleaning it. But it did come with two ink cartridges.
Well, it skips. A lot. Even after cleaning and the normal fountain pen troubleshooting. I'm not sure how to fix it.

On the plus side, that goofy Zebra logo on the barrel comes off in a few seconds with some fine steel wool.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well, it skips. A lot. Even after cleaning and the normal fountain pen troubleshooting. I'm not sure how to fix it.

On the plus side, that goofy Zebra logo on the barrel comes off in a few seconds with some fine steel wool.
Bummer. Well, let's see...if you flushed the nib and can rule out something being stuck in there or the feed, check the tines and tipping. Are the tines crossed or uneven? Does the tipping have baby bottom? A magnifying glass or loupe would help in making that determination.

First pen purchase of 2021 in the house! The Retro 51 “Hubble”, commemorating NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope. I’m glad I snapped it up when I saw it; Pen Chalet sold out in a day!
View attachment 1213092

This makes my fifth Retro 51 - four roller balls and a fountain. I’m starting to get to the point where I have way too many. But the aerospace and military designs are just so darn cool.

View attachment 1213093
The Discovery pen is cool. I have a friend who was a history major and really into military history, I would think his favorite would be the pen just above the Discovery. I make that judgment based on what he posts on FB.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The Discovery pen is cool. I have a friend who was a history major and really into military history, I would think his favorite would be the pen just above the Discovery. I make that judgment based on what he posts on FB.
Oh, outstanding! That would be the "Sherman Tank" pen in the Retro 51's Big Shot line. I don't think they make it anymore, but I believe it is still available at several online retailers. Give it a Google.

The Discovery pen is definitely a favorite. That design really came out particularly well, maybe because the Shuttle's actual silhouette lends itself to the pen shape.

New (to me) fountain pens:
1. Pilot Varsity in blue, medium nib.
2. Zebra Zensations in black, fine nib.
3. Can't remember the name, but it's a beginner set. One black pen with a clear screw-on cap, four nibs, and 12 cartridges of different colored ink. Right now I'm using the dark blue ink with the fine nib.

Last edited:
New (to me) fountain pens:
1. Pilot Varsity in blue, medium nib.
2. Zebra Zensations in black, fine nib.
3. Can't remember the name, but it's a beginner set. One black pen with a clear screw-on cap, four nibs, and 12 cartridges of different colored ink. Right now I'm using the dark blue ink with the fine nib.
The mystery fountain pen is made by Manuscript in England. It works just fine, but I'm a little concerned about the screw-on cap.

Traded for a killer starter kit put together by a generous long time B&B member. Black Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and plunger converter, Lamy Vista with converter and fine nib, 2 Platinum Preppys with eye drop setup, 3 Noodlers and 2 Iroshizuku ink samples, and a Rhodia dot pad. Got it yesterday along with a bottle of Namiki Blue and Sull’s cursive workbook. Inked up the Lamy and got started.

28859514-F252-4047-BF93-0DF4DC7B1DFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Traded for a killer starter kit put together by a generous long time B&B member. Black Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and plunger converter, Lamy Vista with converter and fine nib, 2 Platinum Preppys with eye drop setup, 3 Noodlers and 2 Iroshizuku ink samples, and a Rhodia dot pad. Got it yesterday along with a bottle of Namiki Blue and Sull’s cursive workbook. Inked up the Lamy and got started.

View attachment 1283569
EXCELLENT starter kit :)

My mother dropped off, among other things, a Cross 2106-M Gray fountain pen that was my dad's. She said he never used it and it certainly looks new. It's still in the case (with the outer box) and has the booklet and accessories, including a little ink and a converter.

cross_4-jpg.1279393

The thread is here:

The new Pilot Petit1 Mini in red next to my Pilot Metropolitan. (I also got a bottle of Diamine Matador red ink to go with the red pen.) My only complaint, which may very well sort itself out with use, is that the grip section is slick. I’m hoping into won’t have residual slickness.😁 I’m thinking it’s probably because it’s brand new.

47586E2C-C060-4E8C-829F-DD4FFD4D0AE0.jpeg

9EA14BD2-A1C9-4677-BA73-6777B3EF9487.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
This “tactical” pen showed up in the mail today. It’s tactical in the sense that it is machined out of solid titanium, and has a tungsten steel tip on the end for breaking things. It came with both ball point and fountain pen innards.

Time well tell how it holds up as a writing instrument, but the nib is actually very smooth and it writes nicely.
7DEF3D78-2AD2-4FAB-93F0-C13AD14C6B2E.jpeg

I got on ebay a 1945 Parker Vacumatic Major golden brown-pearl with fine nib. It is in perfect conditions. Production date should be 2 quarter of 1945 as stated on barrel and nib, .5.
Nice buy. Smooth writer too

Top Bottom