What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2021.

The Pilot Falcon nib is one of the best performing nibs made today. Google John Mottishaw and the Spencerian grind that he does to Falcon nibs. This is one pen that can be obtained for around $175 that outperforms nearly every pen I own. It is head and shoulders above the Platinum 3776.

The Pilot Falcon nib is one of the best performing nibs made today. Google John Mottishaw and the Spencerian grind that he does to Falcon nibs. This is one pen that can be obtained for around $175 that outperforms nearly every pen I own. It is head and shoulders above the Platinum 3776.
Thank you this is really helpful

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
This is fantastic advice, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detail answer. If I may impose on your generosity once more, I would like too ask you if you know anything about the pilot falcon nib. Would you consider that one as also an alternative in the category of one and done along with the lady 2000 and the platinum?. In any case, thank you again
You’re welcome. Yes, I did cross shop the Falcon. I didn’t much care for the design. It’s kind of thin and kind of ugly. The nib is plain and strangely shaped, almost conical. But if you’re not put off by that and want a soft/semi-flex nib, than the Falcon is fine choice. Pilot makes great pens. I have a vintage Waterman with a flexible nib, and it’s a lot of fun to write with so I image the Falcon is fun as well. The 3776’s broad nib is a different experience altogether - slightly bouncy with some feedback. Exquisite.

I tell you what, though. The Pilot I really have my eye on is the Custom 912 with FA nib. It’s the bigger version of the Falcon, if you will. The 912 is a nice large size and most reviews say the #10 size FA nib is a step up from the smaller nib on the Falcon. But it’s also in that next tier, over $200, and I don’t quite have the cheddar on hand for that one yet.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You’re welcome. Yes, I did cross shop the Falcon. I didn’t much care for the design. It’s kind of thin and kind of ugly. The nib is plain and strangely shaped, almost conical. But if you’re not put off by that and want a soft/semi-flex nib, than the Falcon is fine choice. Pilot makes great pens. I have a vintage Waterman with a flexible nib, and it’s a lot of fun to write with so I image the Falcon is fun as well. The 3776’s broad nib is a different experience altogether - slightly bouncy with some feedback. Exquisite.

I tell you what, though. The Pilot I really have my eye on is the Custom 912 with FA nib. It’s the bigger version of the Falcon, if you will. The 912 is a nice large size and most reviews say the #10 size FA nib is a step up from the smaller nib on the Falcon. But it’s also in that next tier, over $200, and I don’t quite have the cheddar on hand for that one yet.
That looks like a beautiful pen
🕳

The 5340 has arrived, here a pic next to my Kaweco Sketch up. 140mm instead of 12. Something mm
IMG_20210325_111906066~2.jpg

tankerjohn

I didn't even see a JoWo nib option, just two different Wancher nib choices, steel and gold. I did not pony up for the gold, but as far as I can tell, it's a steel Wancher nib.
Pretty sure Wancher uses JoWo steel nibs, like everyone else.

Pretty sure Wancher uses JoWo steel nibs, like everyone else.
Ah, ok. I did find the print where it states the steel nibs are made by JoWo. It doesn't write/feel like the standard JoWo nib (not that those have anything wrong with them), so it maybe tweaked per Wancher's specifications or something.

tankerjohn

Ah, ok. I did find the print where it states the steel nibs are made by JoWo. It doesn't write/feel like the standard JoWo nib (not that those have anything wrong with them), so it maybe tweaked per Wancher's specifications or something.
That's cool. I've read that JoWo and Bock manufacture to spec for some of the bigger companies like Visconti, Pelikan, and Faber-Castel. I would guess either Wancher is doing to that or maybe tuning the nibs in-house before they ship, like Franklin Cristoff. I like the stock JoWo nibs just fine, but they are kind of...I don't know, is "boring" too harsh? Let's say "smooth and reliable", which is not nothing, but missing the subtilties I enjoy in other nibs. JoWo nibs are the Top 40 pop song to Platinum's jazz classic.

When you order a Wancher fp you can select either the gold Wancher nib or 2 types of JoWo nibs. I haven't checked if the pricey ones still offer JoWo as I haven't gone to this level, yet :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The age old dilemma. Buy one great pen (or whatever) or several, many, multiples of lesser expensive pens (or whatever)
Seeing that variety is the spice of life I ordered a platinum preppy fountain pen and yellow noodlers highlighter ink. A platinum prefounte (and converter) and twsib vac. 🤩
Thoughts and or encouragement appreciated. 😀

Top Bottom