What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2021.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Finally picked up a "51" Flighter. A bit of a frankenpen as the section did not thread properly into the barrel. Fortunately, I had some extra sections sitting around and found one that fit. Nice look and feel, though it needs a bit of NevrDull. A much more substantial pen than my "61" Flighter.

Wancher Seven Treasures pen. They don't mess around with packaging, that's for sure.
IMG_20210301_1238419.jpg
IMG_20210301_1239055.jpg
IMG_20210301_1241231.jpg

In a moment of weakness, I've gone and added to my Kaweco collection. Have a Brass Sport with kaweco 1.1mm stub nib and a gold nostalgia clip en-route. Should be here in a few days.

So decided that I needed a pencil, so with out any question I fell on my sword / brass Kaweco and have a Kaweco Brass Sketch up and classic 2 pen pouch with coin chain en-route. As I'll be using mainly DIY around the new house I've also bought some Kon-i-noor HB leads for it. All should be here in time for mounting the new skirting boards and fire place in the living room.

The Brass Sport with 1.1 stub nib is absolutely superb out of the box.

Bravo! I’m glad the Jotter is working well for you. Yes, Jotters are highly regarded ballpoint pens. They are super classy and make just the most satisfying “click-clack” when you use them. I'm not sure when Parker started making a fountain pen version, but they do look nice. Happy writing!

The Parker fountain pen is a nice daily driver. I had my first one (which someone walked off with, along with several others over the early years) more than 20 years ago, so they've been around for a while.

As for me, I accidentally tripped and fell into several orders over the past couple of weeks, shaving related, wood carving related, and pen related.

Oh, boy. Pix after more of the lot comes in. :D. And, after I get my working area cleaned up some, which requires some work and dish washing (gotta clean up the dehydrator trays from beef jerky)

Grabbed ANOTHER Lamy Safari, the new Terra Cotta color was too pretty in person to pass up :)

And my Wing Sung 699 should be home tonight, to test drive the size of the Pilot 823 to see if it is something I can really live with or not!!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hey there Nibsters! This is my first BIG pen purchase of 2021. And it’s not even a fountain pen!

I give you...the Cross Star Wars Special Edition “Solo” Rollerball
6FB57BA6-008D-4D50-AFD5-1638D9B30A3E.jpeg
As you can see, the packaging on this thing is redunkulous. But nice. And the included stand is rather extra.
8E96B3A9-2728-4C5C-A287-F1EE77D089BA.jpeg

The whole shtick is Han Solo frozen in carbonite. A nice understated, dare I say, boring pen from a distance.
4A8B7EB5-F2B6-4754-8631-AAFAA75F6F3A.jpeg

Yet, so super nerdy when you look up close (kinda like me). You can see Han’s face in the cap.
AF90E42A-4832-41ED-A6F4-ED1B1C55A13B.jpeg

It’s a rollerball, like I said, so not much of a looker on the business end. I really wanted the fountain pen version, but those are going for silly money right now. I snagged this one on sale for less than a hundred bucks. Truthfully, the rollerball is just fine. It writes buttery smoothly. But one cool I thing I read is that the Cross Townsend fountain pens and rollerballs use the same body, so an FP section should screw right in. I might grab a proper nib for Han here later down the road.

Looks like I’m sorted for May 4th!:a45:

Last week, I picked up a 2018 Vibrant Pink Lamy Al-Star online and some matching ink at a lovely little shop in Lawrence KS called Wonderfair. Lots of pens, paper, inks, pencils, notebooks etc.

I am strongly considering consolidating the vast majority of my bottle inks to Lamy. They work well across a variety of pens/paper, are well priced and I love the design complete with an integrated blotter paper roll. My historical approach was to match ink brand to pen brand. (Parker, Pilot, Waterman, Pelikan etc.)

I am fairly new at this world. I have used a LAMY low entry with an EF nib for a few years, and only recently I got a second lamy with a medium and a metropolitan with a medium. I am still finding my way around inks and thinking about upgrades but completely lost to what to get

I suspect that you could buy Pilot Metropolitans and Lamy Al-Stars ( I am very partial to the metal as it feels some much nicer that the plastic Lamy Safari for often less than 10-15 more). Ink them with Lamy or Pilot, write on a Black and Red Notebook and never need another pen/ink/paper combo again in terms of more than exceeding the intersection of quality/value.

Next stop for me would probably be something with a 14 kt nib on it. In a new pen, that is likely 150 ish min.

Here we go, my first new fountain pen of 2021. And it’s a cheapy! Platinum Prefonte with fine nib in “Night Sea”. It came with a cartridge of Platinum Blue-Black, one of my favorite inks.

View attachment 1222505

Here it is next to its big brother, 3776. Fairly comparable in size. I don’t know why, but I expected the Prefonte to be smaller.

View attachment 1222504

So as you can see, it basically just a fancied up Preppy. But I like it. I got it because 1) I needed a Japanese fine nib for taking notes in books and 2) I needed to add a cheap something to the cart to get free shipping. The Prefonte fit the bill. The section and nib from the Preppy are kind of fugly, but it looks decent with the cap on. Plus, it writes beautifully, as a Platinum should.
Given a choice between them for a newbie, which one would you choose?

I suspect that you could buy Pilot Metropolitans and Lamy Al-Stars ( I am very partial to the metal as it feels some much nicer that the plastic Lamy Safari for often less than 10-15 more). Ink them with Lamy or Pilot, write on a Black and Red Notebook and never need another pen/ink/paper combo again in terms of more than exceeding the intersection of quality/value.

Next stop for me would probably be something with a 14 kt nib on it. In a new pen, that is likely 150 ish min.
Thank you so much for the suggestion, how about the nib? soft-fine, medium, italic? blue ink?

Han Solo, so cool.

I'm currently tip toeing around the edge of a clutch pencil rabbit hole since my Kaweco sketch up arrived in time for some DIY and work shop use. So to day it was a lot cheaper Koh-I-noor 5340in green from a well know river named site with a new retractable stanley measuring tape.

s-l300.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good question
Certainly a big price difference
I wasn’t familiar with this brand. The entry level is so inexpensive but the converter is almost the same cost as the pen.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well, as @Rhody noted, they are in very different price brackets. The Prefonte costs $10 and the 3776 retails for around $160 in the US. You can often find it cheaper on the internet, but its still going to be north of $100. So, in that sense, it really kind of depends on how much money someone wants to spend when they're just getting into the hobby. I suspect most people would opt to spend $10 if they don't know how much they're going to like using a fountain pen. I would certainly recommend the Prefonte to that user. On the otherhand, if a new fountain pen user had a $150-$200 to spend and were looking for a nice pen to go "one and done", the 3776 would be a good candidate for that. When I was researching the first tier of Japanese gold nib pens, the 3776 stood out as it has a bigger nib and girthier grip than the Pilot Custom 74 or Sailor 1911 Standard. You have to step up to over $200 to get a bigger Pilot or Sailor. For that reason, it is a tremendous value. The other pen in the discussion for a sub-$200 "one and done" is the Lamy 2000. I think the 2000 has a whole lot going for it - gold nib, piston-filling, German quality, great progeny. If you like Bauhau design and don't mind a hooded nib, its a no-brainer - get the 2000! For me, however, I far prefer the 3776's classic design, gloriously big nib, and ease of cleaning.

Good question
Certainly a big price difference
I wasn’t familiar with this brand. The entry level is so inexpensive but the converter is almost the same cost as the pen.
Platinum is a great brand. I'm happy with mine, and I've heard nothing but good things about all of their models from lowest end Preppies to four-figure Nakaya's. On the converter situation, yes it is kind of a bummer. So I suppose when I say the Prefonte is a $10 pen, there should be a * next that price quote since its more like a $20 pen when you include the converter. However, it is also the case that all of the Japanese pen companies use proprietary cartridges and converters, and Platinum's are probably the best. Sailor and Pilot piston converters are notoriously small, and Pilot's aerometric and push-button converters are love/hate affairs. In contrast, Platinum piston converters are high quality, hold a good amount of ink, and are easy to use. Also, Platinum does sell an adaptor for international converters, which is a few bucks cheaper than their proprietary converter. So, in theory, you could get that instead of the piston converter. And lastly, Platinum cartridges have nice and thick plastic and a good tight seal on the nib section, making them excellent candidates for syringe filling if you want to skip the converter altogether. I promise Platinum didn't pay me to write all that...just a happy fanboy...er...customer.

Well, as @Rhody noted, they are in very different price brackets. The Prefonte costs $10 and the 3776 retails for around $160 in the US. You can often find it cheaper on the internet, but its still going to be north of $100. So, in that sense, it really kind of depends on how much money someone wants to spend when they're just getting into the hobby. I suspect most people would opt to spend $10 if they don't know how much they're going to like using a fountain pen. I would certainly recommend the Prefonte to that user. On the otherhand, if a new fountain pen user had a $150-$200 to spend and were looking for a nice pen to go "one and done", the 3776 would be a good candidate for that. When I was researching the first tier of Japanese gold nib pens, the 3776 stood out as it has a bigger nib and girthier grip than the Pilot Custom 74 or Sailor 1911 Standard. You have to step up to over $200 to get a bigger Pilot or Sailor. For that reason, it is a tremendous value. The other pen in the discussion for a sub-$200 "one and done" is the Lamy 2000. I think the 2000 has a whole lot going for it - gold nib, piston-filling, German quality, great progeny. If you like Bauhau design and don't mind a hooded nib, its a no-brainer - get the 2000! For me, however, I far prefer the 3776's classic design, gloriously big nib, and ease of cleaning.

Platinum is a great brand. I'm happy with mine, and I've heard nothing but good things about all of their models from lowest end Preppies to four-figure Nakaya's. On the converter situation, yes it is kind of a bummer. So I suppose when I say the Prefonte is a $10 pen, there should be a * next that price quote since its more like a $20 pen when you include the converter. However, it is also the case that all of the Japanese pen companies use proprietary cartridges and converters, and Platinum's are probably the best. Sailor and Pilot piston converters are notoriously small, and Pilot's aerometric and push-button converters are love/hate affairs. In contrast, Platinum piston converters are high quality, hold a good amount of ink, and are easy to use. Also, Platinum does sell an adaptor for international converters, which is a few bucks cheaper than their proprietary converter. So, in theory, you could get that instead of the piston converter. And lastly, Platinum cartridges have nice and thick plastic and a good tight seal on the nib section, making them excellent candidates for syringe filling if you want to skip the converter altogether. I promise Platinum didn't pay me to write all that...just a happy fanboy...er...customer.
This is fantastic advice, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detail answer. If I may impose on your generosity once more, I would like too ask you if you know anything about the pilot falcon nib. Would you consider that one as also an alternative in the category of one and done along with the lady 2000 and the platinum?. In any case, thank you again

Top Bottom