What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2020

Newton Townsend (small) F nib
Dark purple ripple ebonite (on right in photo) arrived the end of July. Continuously inked since. Currently with Lamy Dark Lilac.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Nice looking pens...the one on the left reminds me of the B&B LE Glenmont!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's been a loooong time since I needed to buy anything pen wise, but I loaded my last Diamine cartridge yesterday, so needed to restock. I'm currently waiting on...

18 Diamine Chocolate Brown cartridges
18 Diamine Ancient Copper cartridges
18 Diamine Midnight cartridges
1 Diamine cartridge assortment pack - Prestige
1 Diamine cartridge assortment pack - Regal

That should keep me going for another few years. I've barely dented my 30ml(?) Diamine bottles I got a few years ago.

Landed today.

IMG_20201103_214910.jpg

I checked my bottled inks this evening too. I got 6 x 30ml bottles a couple of years ago, and the most used is still over 3/4 full. With today's 94 cartridges, I should be good for another five years, I reckon.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Notebooks ordered. I seem to be getting towards the end of several at the same time, which is useful. So I got stocked up in order to get free shipping.

1x A4 wirebound notebook
1x A5 wirebound notebook
1x A5 clothbound notebook
4x A5 staplebound notebooks
3x 90x140mm staplebound pocket notebooks

All Clairefontaine (1951 and Europa).

Wing Sung 699 Translucent Vaccum Filling Fountain Pen F Nib
I ordered directly from China on ebay. The pen arrived yesterday. It is a vacuum filler pen so can only be used with bottled ink. I rinsed it a couple of times before inking it this morning. It feels 'heavy' once you hold it in your hand but as soon as you remove the cap it feels good, no need to post it when writing as it is long enough. It doesn't feel heavy while writing. I unscrewed the section to see how easy it was, a chinch. I followed the enclosed instruction to fill it and all went well. Pressing the piston down in the ink bottle does not fill the pen completely but you can see that 3/4 are inked. The fine nib writes smoothly and nicely, not too wet either. I'm using Waterman's Harmonious Green. Have written two A5 pages and a quarter and still haven't unscrewed the blind cap to let the ink flow into the section. Screwing to the end the blind cap seals the barrel and the section so that there aren't any leaks. Plastic feels and looks pretty solid to me.
It was shipped in an padded envelope. The pen has no real box as for the other Chinese pen, Jinhao, I have bought. It arrived safely.
Overall GBP 15.99 with free shippiing isn't a bad purchase and the beauty of it is that it worked immediately.

It has been a couple of years since I last bought a fountain pen so...

- I Just pulled the trigger on a Leonardo Momento Zero Grande Fountain Pen in Sand Acrylic with Rhodium Trim × 1.1mm stub.
- x2 Rhodia ICE Lined 6 x 8" Note Pads.

Good day everyone, hope all of you are keeping safe.
I finally inked my transparent TWSBI Eco !! What a nib, B. I always used Ms, tried an F but I think next new ones will be Bs :)
Wrote half a page and it runs on the page like if it was on butter. Very impressed.

I have one question though, I filled the pen with Pelikan 4001 Violet, and I see pockets of air along the barrell, in other words the ink is not filling completely the barrell.

I filled it a few times to get wet it with the ink, kind of a run-in for the piston and barrell, but nothing changed.
The nib was well immersed as I opend the bottle just for the occasion.

Why does this happen ?
Thank you

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I finally inked my transparent TWSBI Eco !! What a nib, B. I always used Ms, tried an F but I think next new ones will be Bs :)
Wrote half a page and it runs on the page like if it was on butter. Very impressed.

I have one question though, I filled the pen with Pelikan 4001 Violet, and I see pockets of air along the barrell, in other words the ink is not filling completely the barrell.

I filled it a few times to get wet it with the ink, kind of a run-in for the piston and barrell, but nothing changed.

Why does this happen ?
Thank you
you may want to immerse also the very front of the section into the ink, not just nib and feed

Why does this happen ?
Thank you

If you mean that there is still an air bubble in the barrel after you've finished filling, that is normal in my experience. For most piston fillers the piston does not extend all the way to the back of the feed, so you get an air bubble there which you don't expel when you run the piston to the limit of its travel. Hence it is there when you fill. You could get rid of it by inverting the pen, operating the piston until the air (but not the ink) has been expelled, then putting the nib back in the bottle and retracting the piston again. But I wouldn't bother, and you could get ink in the feed being forced out when expelling the air.

I've seen the air bubble viewed as a positive, giving space for the ink to expand into if the pen warms up (by being in a pocket, for example). Some even go as far as to recommend expelling a couple of ink drops back into the bottle after filling, specifically for this reason.

Hi Rudy, I emptied the pen and immersed the whole section in the ink bottle, air pockets are still there. I'll write TWSBI and see what they say.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hi Rudy, I emptied the pen and immersed the whole section in the ink bottle, air pockets are still there. I'll write TWSBI and see what they say.

With a completely empty pen, there's a bit of air around where piston butts up to the feed, plus in the feed itself. When you draw the piston back, the air is drawn into the reservoir before the ink is. Short of standing the pen nib up, so the bubble rises, and then forcing the piston down to expel the air, like a nurse with a syringe before an injection, there's always going to be a bubble. The bigger question to me, is why it matters so much. As you use it, a void will come back anyway, and it's not like that type of pen doesn't hold enough ink.

The pocket of air between piston and ink is fine. It is the little air bubbles all along the barrell I'm not sure about, the ink column looks like a piece of emmenthal chese as there are bubbles everywhere, to give you an idea 🙂

I think those bubbles will go away in a day or two, but even if they don't the pen is fine as long as it's feeding properly.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The pocket of air between piston and ink is fine. It is the little air bubbles all along the barrell I'm not sure about, the ink column looks like a piece of emmenthal chese as there are bubbles everywhere, to give you an idea 🙂

Interesting... are you sure it's air and not piston grease, or something of that ilk.

I have seen this happen when air is getting drawn into the barrel with ink - usually when I had an imperfectly seated converter. But that obviously isn't an option in this case.

Have you tried a different ink? I have had some issues with pelikan violet before, so it may be worth swapping to try and nail down where the issue is.

My first Kaweco is in the form of a classic sport in navy with a medium nib. Of course, I can't use it yet because I ordered a second one in lime as a Christmas gift for the lady. There's also a LAMY wrapped up waiting for her on Christmas morning...She's enjoyed the Eco I bought her as her first pen so much that she bought a second one a couple months ago. I've created a monster gents :laugh:

My first Kaweco is in the form of a classic sport in navy with a medium nib. Of course, I can't use it yet because I ordered a second one in lime as a Christmas gift for the lady. There's also a LAMY wrapped up waiting for her on Christmas morning...She's enjoyed the Eco I bought her as her first pen so much that she bought a second one a couple months ago. I've created a monster gents [emoji23]
Good work. I tried getting my wife to use one by gifting her one in her stocking some time ago. It didn't take[emoji17]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1608903368853.png

My first official Stub, a 1.1mm Leonardo Officina Momento Grande. I do have a Pilot Metropolitan 1.0mm Stub but the line variations are very subtle. Just received this a couple days ago, a very juicy writer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Christmas present from my nieces and nephew to go with the page-a-day desk diary they also got me (which the pen is sat on).

IMG_20201225_131743.jpgIMG_20201225_131752.jpgIMG_20201225_131818.jpgIMG_20201225_131840.jpg

As well as the scaled rules, drivers, and level, the cover cap for the driver is a phone stylus.

Top Bottom