What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2020

Also got a Faber-Castell Loom, B.

proxy.php

Completed another pen on the lathe. Another comfort grip kit with cocobolo wood. This one turned out dark and contrasts nicely with the nickle hardware. Different finish this time. Less glassy than ca glue but shows the wood nicely.

20200309_175931.jpg

Got a couple pens in the mail today. Medium nib pilot metropolitan and a fine nib lamy safari. Both write pretty good 👍. Have the black cartridge in the pilot for now and have the lamy loaded with noodlers brown. Pens are addicting lol.

20200311_172828.jpg

Always wanted to try a Faber castel... how is the nib?
RE: Fabell-Castell Loom, broad

Very smooth steel nib. One of the stand out features that I've noticed. I watched a couple of sbrebrown videos and he likes the nib / has good things to say and I've never tried a broad nib so that's what I got. Currently inked with Visconti Blue. It's not light at 33g (not heavy either). Nice size - a little shorter than the Lamy Safari or Al-Star. Cap is a resin or plastic - nice finish, color. Pen barrel is shiny. Would have preferred a matt finish, but it's a minor thing. No need to post the cap, but it fits snugly if you do.

Reactions: Jut
Yes... yes they are. lol
The lamy pens are kinda confusing me. The diplomat and both pilots have been smooth and write great out of the box. So far both lamy pens and the extra lamy nib I grabbed have been scratchy and needed a little tweaking. Kinda interesting to do it without a magnifying loupe 🤣. Been tweaking it by feel. All are writing smooth now though.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
RE: Fabell-Castell Loom, broad

Very smooth steel nib. One of the stand out features that I've noticed. I watched a couple of sbrebrown videos and he likes the nib / has good things to say and I've never tried a broad nib so that's what I got. Currently inked with Visconti Blue. It's not light at 33g (not heavy either). Nice size - a little shorter than the Lamy Safari or Al-Star. Cap is a resin or plastic - nice finish, color. Pen barrel is shiny. Would have preferred a matt finish, but it's a minor thing. No need to post the cap, but it fits snugly if you do.
Excellent report! I’ve always heard F-C steel nibs are among the best out there. Nice to see you confirm that. The Loom looks like a great value. It’s probably the best looking pen if their line up, which tend more towards, uh, an acquired taste. BTW, nice choice of ink. Visconti Blue is one of my favorites!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had to send off a FedEx parcel today, and wouldn’t you know, the branch was running a sale on stationary. I picked up a few a things: a pack of Varsities to let the kids play with (but I’ll probably snake the black one for a beater pen), a pack of Thank You cards because...gratitude, and a Zebra F701 which is one of those pens that always pops up on various “best” lists. The EDCers like it because it’s stainless and has knurling. And they love them some knurling, I tell you what. Honestly, it writes kind of “meh” and the click is super mushy. But it’s perfect for keeping in the car or garage or whatever. And it’s got knurling!
8288541C-5B52-4E54-9242-0C1ABE91DF02.jpeg

Recent acquisitions:

1944 Parker Vacumatic Emerald Pearl
replacement nib Oblique Medium for above
Levenger Cobalt Blue and Forest Green
Waterman Serenity Blue (bottle #2)
Lamy Pacific/Turquoise (bottle #2)
Apica CD5 (2)
Leuchtturm notebook A5
100 sheets Tomoe River
Clairefontaine Neo Deco notebooks (2)
Navy/Cream and Green/Cream notecards (Original Crown Mill)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some ink & accessories just in...

Lamy Turmaline 50ml
Aurora Black 45ml
Lamy Z28 converter
Schmidt Standard International Converter converter

A Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne, soft fine is on the way - hopefully going through customs soon.

Got a pack of pilot varsity pens the other day, a magnifying loupe for adjusting nibs, and a few notebooks 👍.

20200314_233948.jpg

20200314_233930.jpg

Left is a sketchbook from hobby lobby. Thick but rough paper. Center and right are exceed brand notebooks from Walmart. They wook really well for the price 👍

I grabbed a Platinum Prefounte in fine. Washed out the blue ink cart it came with and refilled it with Noodlers X-Feather. This is the keep it in the mug on the desk FP, since they claim it can stay inked and capped for up to a year and not dry out. So the rare times I have to write a check, or a return envelope to send back a form or such, this will be the pen for that task.

Got this pen in today. Jinhao 159. It is a huge hoss of a pen but very comfy. Also alot more wet if a writter than my others. It is very smooth though. I like it 👍

20200320_141854.jpg

goulet pens started carrying Sailor.

they're also closed to taking orders.

Due to COVID-19 we are now fully remote, and all orders placed will not ship until it is safe for our team to resume working in the building. This may last weeks or longer. We are now offering free USPS shipping on any $50+ order within the US as a thanks for your patience.

nibs.com closed down their online site.

I did get a Platinum 3776 Century, soft fine nib from Japan / Amazon.

proxy.php

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I bought a couple of Extra Fine Preppys and got some Noodler’s 54th Mass and Heart of Darkness.
These are some really decent pens that I use for work. 54th Mass is very wet but with these extra fine nibs it works well for me and I really love the blue/black.
For work I am required to use either blue or black for signatures. Best of both worlds. The rest is just for notes.

Got some stuff in the mail today 👍. Lamy al star turmaline (medium nib) and turmaline ink. Also a turquoise monteverde strata (fine nib) and some various inks. Monteverde California teal, diamine denim, diamine meadow, and diamine syrah.

20200321_200922.jpg

20200321_200901.jpg

20200321_201012.jpg

Got this in the mail today. Ebony wood Jinhao 51a. Hooded fin nib. Seems to write nicely and be well made. Sorry the pic is enormous lol.
20200324_153029.jpg

Top Bottom