What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2020

NPD: Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

proxy.php

A medium 14k Gold nib arrived in the mail for my Parker 45 GT. The extra-fine nib was just too fine for my taste. Now I just have to use up the rest of the almost 60-year-old Parker blue cartridge so that I can refill the cartridge with something more interesting. This blue reminds me of Noodlers Mass 54th.

Some of you may have seen this already -

NPD, NID, & NRD (Rhodia)

twisbi ECO (fine), Noodler's Navajo, new Rhodia journal.

Got her inked up with only a couple of blue fingers and one splotch on the table that cleaned up immediately. My first other-than-cartridge FP.

Attachments

• 20200229_143710.jpg
    20200229_143710.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Got some stuff today! Went overboard and dove in the deep end lol. Today I got an assortment of ink in the mail as well as my firs fountain pens. A pilot metropolitan and a lamy al star. Got some samples of ink as well as some bottles. Diamine oxford blue, sapphire blue, oxblood, and aurora borealis. Also noodlers black and apache sunset. Lastly lamy bronze to go with the al star pen in the same color 👍. Super excited to ink them up and try them out!

20200306_122134.jpg

20200306_122004.jpg

20200306_121702.jpg

Got some stuff today! Went overboard and dove in the deep end lol. Today I got an assortment of ink in the mail as well as my firs fountain pens. A pilot metropolitan and a lamy al star. Got some samples of ink as well as some bottles. Diamine oxford blue, sapphire blue, oxblood, and aurora borealis. Also noodlers black and apache sunset. Lastly lamy bronze to go with the al star pen in the same color 👍. Super excited to ink them up and try them out!

View attachment 1071051

View attachment 1071052

View attachment 1071053
Not a bad choice in the lot! That is going off the deep end head first though, for sure. What nib sizes did you get on the pens? I take it you already have fountain pen friendly paper/notebooks?

Not a bad choice in the lot! That is going off the deep end head first though, for sure. What nib sizes did you get on the pens? I take it you already have fountain pen friendly paper/notebooks?

Thanks! Got the metropolitan in Fine and the Al Star in extra fine. Been experimenting with paper a bit. Grabbed a sketchbook from hobby lobby on sale that had pretty thick feeling paper but it wasn't overly smooth paper. It works but I'm thinking it might do better with a larger nib? Grabbed another small notebook last night from Walmart. Not as heavy paper (78gsm I think) but it is much smoother than the sketchbook. It seems to handle the small nibs better.

Have some others on the way to try some larger nibs too. Kinda found the lamy a bit scratchy abd dry compared to the pilot. I'm guessing the nib size is to blame? Watched some videos on how to adjust the nibs a little and gave it a little tweaking. It seemed to help a bit. Going to have to wait until I get a magnifying loupe to check it for sure. I noticed with the lamy if I wrote a little too quickly it would have places were the ink would stop a little. Could still be my writing too haha. Having to adjust my pressure and hold a bit.

Really enjoy tinkering with stuff so this is sure to be a fun hobby! Totally went overboard and have a ton of loot in transit lol.

Thanks! Got the metropolitan in Fine and the Al Star in extra fine. Been experimenting with paper a bit. Grabbed a sketchbook from hobby lobby on sale that had pretty thick feeling paper but it wasn't overly smooth paper. It works but I'm thinking it might do better with a larger nib? Grabbed another small notebook last night from Walmart. Not as heavy paper (78gsm I think) but it is much smoother than the sketchbook. It seems to handle the small nibs better.

Have some others on the way to try some larger nibs too. Kinda found the lamy a bit scratchy abd dry compared to the pilot. I'm guessing the nib size is to blame? Watched some videos on how to adjust the nibs a little and gave it a little tweaking. It seemed to help a bit. Going to have to wait until I get a magnifying loupe to check it for sure. I noticed with the lamy if I wrote a little too quickly it would have places were the ink would stop a little. Could still be my writing too haha. Having to adjust my pressure and hold a bit.

Really enjoy tinkering with stuff so this is sure to be a fun hobby! Totally went overboard and have a ton of loot in transit lol.
So, the thing about paper and FP's... it's not really about the GSM on the paper, but more of how it's finished, as in what process they use. Tomoe River has a 52 GSM paper that feels and looks super thin and flimsy, but you can literally put drops of ink on it in small puddles, and it doesn't soak through. Fine and EF nibs will (in my over all experience and opinion) have more of a scratchy feel to them, potentially, as well as write a bit more on the dry side. Playing around with nibs to find your personal sweet spot is part of the fun, for sure. :)

So, the thing about paper and FP's... it's not really about the GSM on the paper, but more of how it's finished, as in what process they use. Tomoe River has a 52 GSM paper that feels and looks super thin and flimsy, but you can literally put drops of ink on it in small puddles, and it doesn't soak through. Fine and EF nibs will (in my over all experience and opinion) have more of a scratchy feel to them, potentially, as well as write a bit more on the dry side. Playing around with nibs to find your personal sweet spot is part of the fun, for sure. :)

Awesome! I'll have to try some other papers too. The little notebook I got from Walmart last night worked pretty well. Might grab a few more. It was their "exceed" brand. Slowly getting better with writing with them too. Sorta remembering a bit more cursive that I forgot lol. The pens are doing a bit better too. Super fun!

Top Bottom