What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2020

Tuff Writer Mk2 with Japanese blue laminate:

proxy.php

His ig pic really shows the grain and the blue:

proxy.php

I added a brown-black M800 Pelikan fountain pen to my collection, I had waited for two extra months for a BB nib but it proved elusive to get from the US distributor for my supplier (NibSmith) so it came with the ever reliable B nib. It performs as you’d expect and wrote flawlessly on delivery. I do find the brown a warm barrel colour and unique compared to red, green or blue or stressman grey.

Attachments

• 13D4C27F-22FB-4CDC-A008-E60283846896.jpeg
    13D4C27F-22FB-4CDC-A008-E60283846896.jpeg
    806.4 KB · Views: 16
Hmm, you know, I'm not seeing any vintage pens ...
:001_unsur

Congrats. And tell us more about the custom nib work!
There were a lot of vintage pens there, as you'd guess. I did look through the tables of them. I talked to a couple of the vintage vendors, as well. Over all vintage pens just don't really seem to often pull my attention. The one that did was .. a lot of money. lol

I had 2 pens that just didn't write well. My Sailor Pro Gear Slim with a medium nib would be fine, but then suddenly the feed would dry up after half a page or so, even with the converter plenty full. Then my Pelikan M205 just suffered from constant hard starts. Since I have and use often a pen with a Mark Bacas cursive smooth italic grind on the nib, and he was going to be at the Philly show, I decided to let him do that grind on the Pro Gear. It came out exactly as hoped, a smooth italic, but still closer to a medium line width.

I saw that Gena Salorino would be at the show as well doing tune ups and grinds, so I let her at the Pelikan to do her version of the cursive italic, and the test writing so far on it is also superb. As fate does, the person having a custom nib done in line in front of me was someone I'd already chatted a bit with, so after her architect grind was finished on a Schon Design pen, I got to write with it a bit, and promptly decided to grab (another) Schon Design pen that I'd already been eying, and have Gina do an architect grind on it for me as well.

Finally, one of the Franklin Christoph pens I grabbed as a Michael Masuyama cursive italic nib on it, which was a bit too crisp initially, but they smoothed it out for me.

Must have been a good show! What are the pens? Is the red one a Platinum Carnelian?

That is the Platinum Carnelian, yeah. OK, so left to right in the pic:

Bottom left - a Lalex Forme, squared version. It was previously owned, but in great shape.
Next to the Lalex - Franklin Christoph model 46XL in a light reactive resin, broad nib

Starting Top left -
Benu Charming Chameleon
RKS Pens Legend of Dragon Slayer, broad nib (which writes like an ink hose.. man it's a wet one lol)
Lamy Safari Vista - was in a bargain bin of used pens for a silly price
Narwhal Schuylkill - new model they unveiled at the Philly show
Schon Design Pocket 6 - with the architect grind on it
Platinum Carnelian - broad nib
Franklin Christoph model 45 - medium cursive italic

Also pictured are the show exclusive inks, a Lemur Lime ink, some cloth slip cases that the daughters of the owner of RKS Pens makes and sells at shows they go to with their dad (super cool kids, impressive professionalism and workmanship on the cases), some notebooks, and all sitting on top of a leather 48 pen pencase.

I walked into the show weekend with a pretty large budget, luckily... and walked out only like $50 over budget (all due to the architect grind on the Pocket 6 lol).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks for the update, Dustin. Sounds like you've got a lot of special nibs! Busy weekend.

Pelikan 120 M&K (likely) EF in the wild from an antique store. Needs some extra love - the piston only retracts halfway and the nib needs a tweak or two for flow.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
There were a lot of vintage pens there, as you'd guess. I did look through the tables of them. I talked to a couple of the vintage vendors, as well. Over all vintage pens just don't really seem to often pull my attention. The one that did was .. a lot of money. lol

I had 2 pens that just didn't write well. My Sailor Pro Gear Slim with a medium nib would be fine, but then suddenly the feed would dry up after half a page or so, even with the converter plenty full. Then my Pelikan M205 just suffered from constant hard starts. Since I have and use often a pen with a Mark Bacas cursive smooth italic grind on the nib, and he was going to be at the Philly show, I decided to let him do that grind on the Pro Gear. It came out exactly as hoped, a smooth italic, but still closer to a medium line width.

I saw that Gena Salorino would be at the show as well doing tune ups and grinds, so I let her at the Pelikan to do her version of the cursive italic, and the test writing so far on it is also superb. As fate does, the person having a custom nib done in line in front of me was someone I'd already chatted a bit with, so after her architect grind was finished on a Schon Design pen, I got to write with it a bit, and promptly decided to grab (another) Schon Design pen that I'd already been eying, and have Gina do an architect grind on it for me as well.

Finally, one of the Franklin Christoph pens I grabbed as a Michael Masuyama cursive italic nib on it, which was a bit too crisp initially, but they smoothed it out for me.

That is the Platinum Carnelian, yeah. OK, so left to right in the pic:

Bottom left - a Lalex Forme, squared version. It was previously owned, but in great shape.
Next to the Lalex - Franklin Christoph model 46XL in a light reactive resin, broad nib

Starting Top left -
Benu Charming Chameleon
RKS Pens Legend of Dragon Slayer, broad nib (which writes like an ink hose.. man it's a wet one lol)
Lamy Safari Vista - was in a bargain bin of used pens for a silly price
Narwhal Schuylkill - new model they unveiled at the Philly show
Schon Design Pocket 6 - with the architect grind on it
Platinum Carnelian - broad nib
Franklin Christoph model 45 - medium cursive italic

Also pictured are the show exclusive inks, a Lemur Lime ink, some cloth slip cases that the daughters of the owner of RKS Pens makes and sells at shows they go to with their dad (super cool kids, impressive professionalism and workmanship on the cases), some notebooks, and all sitting on top of a leather 48 pen pencase.

I walked into the show weekend with a pretty large budget, luckily... and walked out only like $50 over budget (all due to the architect grind on the Pocket 6 lol).
Thanks for the rundown. I’d love to read your thoughts on each as you get to know them. Enjoy the Carnelian! I love my 3776.

Ran down to Office Max for some printing and found a nice-looking Parker Jotter. On clearance for $5 US. She called to me, crying at how long she had been there. I just had to rescue her.

How about that? A rescue pen!

20200203_111441.jpg
20200203_111412.jpg

Top Bottom