What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2019

Found this for free at an estate sale today (thrown in with my purchase). They had a Waterman that sold before I got there...got to get up early I guess!
IMG_1955.JPG

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I should have looked closer. Brilliant Black. I have a couple of as yet unopened bottles I got probably 12+ years ago; I'm halfway through a third bottle.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My haul today from Bertram’s Inkwell in Rockville, MD:

1F4614AE-2DF9-4DE5-B6A1-391C78A3E84D.jpeg

My first trip an honest-to-goodness B&M pen shop - it was really amazing. So much fun to gawk at all the beautiful fountain pens that I can't afford. And, of course, the shelves of ink. I love the dark teal of the Parker Blue-Black. The Iroshizuku Asa-Gao has the same pop I like in Visconti Blue, but will hopefully flow better in my 3776. I had my son and daughter with me, so I got them each a Pilot Varsity. I don't make it to that side of the Beltway very often, but the next time I do, I'll be back for sure!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I haven't been to Bertram’s Inkwell in Rockville, MD? Worth a look?
Absolutely! Of course, the traffic in that area is a bear, so you know, that may deter some folks. But it’s a fun little shop. It kind of reminded me of a small jewelry shop, but instead of jewelry, the cases were filled with pens. All kinds of pens. There were shelves full of ink bottle boxes and a back wall covered in ballpoint refills. I felt like I used to feel walking into a comic book shop when I was a kid.

Had some time before a meeting in downtown Chicago so I stopped into Atlas Stationers (Franklin and Lake St.). I'm glad I did. They were having an expo of sorts...they had a rep from Platinum displaying their pens. I tried a 3776 with a music nib...it wrote "like Butta." Thankfully, I dodged that expensive bullet and was able to limit myself to some Noodler's Blue and two Preppy's. The preppys are great (I've converted both to eyedroppers). I highly recommend trying them out...for $3 they're hard to beat.
IMG_2022.jpg

Picked up a Monteverdi one touch engage in rose gold / carbon. Inkball with converter for bottled ink.

Sorry about blurry pic

IMG_20190509_190423744~2.jpg

Writes very nice and smooth. Came from a stationary whole salers literally down the road from me. How ever the spare tips are coming from jet pens.

Only pens Ive bought in 2019:

Pilot 743 with falcon nib
Tactile Turn

I cant recommend the latter; the clicker is not very reliable. I only use ball/roller for lending out but require a tough as nails one that can live unprotected in my backpack. Sticking with my Retro 51 twists instead.

My son expressed an interest in glass nib dip pens.
Yesterday I found this in the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $7.99:

100_6923.JPG

That entire scribble (with hardly any breaks) is from a single dip in a bottle of Black Quink.
100_6924.JPG

And hey, guess what? His birthday is in early June, and blue is his favourite colour.

My son expressed an interest in glass nib dip pens.
Yesterday I found this in the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $7.99:
And hey, guess what? His birthday is in early June, and blue is his favourite colour.

That is fantastic! I dont get finds like that.

Top Bottom