What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2018

All of my adult life I have wanted a Mont Blanc pen. Today, my wife was at a garage sale and bought me a brand new Mont Blanc Starwalker. I have always wanted a fountain but this one is a ballpoint. Nonetheless, I think this is a great pen and knowing my other half, she got it for next to nothing.

I hope you enjoy it...I also wish my wife would get me one of those=)

Buddha looks happy to be on my shelf.

View attachment 904257
Nice!

I’ve got a couple new scribblers:
F6616B6A-426E-4F3F-A875-B1793EC8D680.jpeg

I’ve had the Mont Blanc ink(Blue-Black, Bordeaux, and Emerald Green) forever, but added a couple of new inks to the mix. J. Herbins Bleu Ocean & Emeraude de Chivor.
222EC81A-066D-4077-97E9-E9F02A2DC0DF.jpeg

I need to finish redoing a Brown Esterbrook so I can try out a sample of Caroube de Chypre. Gotta grab some shellac.
4CC1CD21-9747-4FA3-ACF1-C8060F8CEA04.jpeg

A Sailor King of Pens....picked up in Edmonton from Stylus a local shop.

Very Nice, I love that store. I really don't know of any other places in Edmonton that sell a similar product range anyway. So even if it kinda sucked, I'd probably still go there haha.

Today I visited Maido, a shop in San Jose, CA that specializes in Japanese paper and pens. The carry Pilot, Sailor, Lamy, and others I hadn't heard of before, as well as J. Herbin, Lamy, other inks, Rhodia, Moleskine, and lots of Japanese notebooks.

I was looking at the low end Pilots, but ended up only walking out with a pack of Lamy purple ink cartridges for my Safari.

Definitely worth a look if you are in the area. Check out the photos on the Google listing.

My first in 30 years. A disposable that came in a pack of 3. I need to start writing things down so I remember them. If I write it, I will remember it better. I gave my wife the purple pen (school colors) and the black is at home while the blue stays in my backpack. I discovered I have forgotten how to write because I do everything on a computer. I'll have to re-learn everything about penmanship.
It's probably the only one I will buy.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 8
I discovered I have forgotten how to write because I do everything on a computer. I'll have to re-learn everything about penmanship.
Isn’t that the truth. I can see some of my drafting and architecture lettering returning, but more has been lost than retained.

I got a new pen for my birthday (in August): a Platinum 3776, medium, in Chartres blue. I love it! The nib is fantastic. The sealing cap works really well, so I'm able to keep it inked with Noodler's Bad Blue Heron -- an ink that tends to dry out quickly in my other pens. This has become my journaling combination.

For signing cards, writing correspondence, etc, I use a Lamy 2000 with Noodler's Navy. It writes a thick, juicy line, and the ink has just enough shading to be interesting without being ostentatious.

For work, I alternate between a Lamy Safari Petrol (med) inked with Montblanc Midnight Blue, and a Hero 1000 or Hero 616 (fine) with Noodler's X-Feather. Once the Montblanc ink is used up I'll switch to another blue-black, haven't decided which yet. Probably Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black.

8091892F-DA7B-4E69-9F91-DA409815B575.jpeg
4E4D69A4-F530-4C46-8804-8215FDAC48D8.jpeg
0E2979CD-C61D-4372-8DC9-FF1EA26635AC.jpeg
ED3095C8-61D7-46BF-A85C-1E239F094C11.jpeg
Here are the latest addition to my flock of Pelikans. A new M205 EF blue marbled and a M400/K400 set that includes a bottle of Royal Blue!!!

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here are the latest addition to my flock of Pelikans. A new M205 EF blue marbled and a M400/K400 set that includes a bottle of Royal Blue!!!

Great stuff there, Tom. Nothing quite like the iconic green old style M400.

I've had my eye on that blue M205 for a while but I've got a blue M200 I rarely use, need to pull it out again!

Congrats!

Ordered a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise (B) from The Writing Desk (UK) over the weekend. Tracking shows it in LA already as of about 6:20 Tuesday. I'll post photos when it arrives....... It is my first Souveran series Pelikan.

We were in the Art Shack buying a sketch book for my son, and we spotted a display of inks (that was not there before).
SWMBO forced me to buy some ink, so I picked out some Diamine Damson because I have no purple inks.
(bottle label looks different from this one)
proxy.php

I had to. There was nothing I could do about it.
Maybe I shoulda' picked up some Oxblood too.
Next time.

Ordered a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise (B) from The Writing Desk (UK) over the weekend. Tracking shows it in LA already as of about 6:20 Tuesday. I'll post photos when it arrives....... It is my first Souveran series Pelikan.

Arrived on Monday, the 15th. This pen is fabulous. If you haven't seen one in person, take the time to do so. They are stunning.

IMG_20181016_204425_181 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

20181015_181334 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

20181015_181346 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

Arrived on Monday, the 15th. This pen is fabulous. If you haven't seen one in person, take the time to do so. They are stunning.

IMG_20181016_204425_181 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

20181015_181334 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

20181015_181346 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

Now I know why I rarely venture into 'the nib' corner of the forum. Always had a soft spot for Pelikans and that one is outstanding. FPAD is the last thing I need to be afflicted by right now.. Great photos as well. Congrats!!

Top Bottom