What's new

The next watch you're eyeballing?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Indeed and I'll add that in the age of smart phones watches have been relegated to bling and conversation pieces. Your purchase will dictate what conversation will arise, or better what conversation will not.
No bling here. As someone mentioned, it is far more easy to discreetly check the time on a watch than phone

on edit: that is not a scratch, but a bad reflection. The mineral face has held up well for me.

Attachments

• $20141011_161632.jpg
    $20141011_161632.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I've been eying two different watches lately: The Glashutte Panoinverse Art and Technik in white gold, and, the Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Chrono.

I've been hoping the prices will fall on the Glashutte as the model ages, as I really don't need another diver in the collection.

No bling here either.

Seikos RULE. The seiko 5 is the gateway watch... and often the watch afficionados come back to time and time again...

Attachments

• $my seiko SARG007.jpg
    $my seiko SARG007.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 201

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No bling here either.

Seikos RULE. The seiko 5 is the gateway watch... and often the watch afficionados come back to time and time again...

I have owned it since April, and just last week it finally does not agree with my cell phone time. I don't have a second function on the cell phone, but at most the watch is a minute off. Pretty good, if I do say so.

That is pretty good. Looks like a Seiko SNKH69. 7S26 movement. Widely known to be a workhorse that lasts and lasts.

My SARG007 has the 6R15 movement, which hacks and handwinds. It gains around 4-5 seconds a day. I have an app on my iphone I play around with that tracks the accuracy. I reset it every sunday, when it has been around 30 seconds fast. Of course, nothing near the plus or minus 1 second a year you can expect with a really good quartz, but it's got soul, not unlike a harley davidson, haha.

Here, you might find this interesting:

http://www.seiko5finder.com/

I should post it in that thread by the fellow looking for a first watch. I really love my seiko. With seiko, you can spend under 100 or over 5000... and have a sweet watch that is accurate enough to get you where you need to be on time, and interesting enough to give you a little smile every time you look at it....

SEIKO 5 FOREVER!

It's also got something of a cool factor, in that you can't buy them from a brick and mortar store in the US....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is pretty good. Looks like a Seiko SNKH69. 7S26 movement. Widely known to be a workhorse that lasts and lasts.

My SARG007 has the 6R15 movement, which hacks and handwinds. It gains around 4-5 seconds a day. I have an app on my iphone I play around with that tracks the accuracy. I reset it every sunday, when it has been around 30 seconds fast. Of course, nothing near the plus or minus 1 second a year you can expect with a really good quartz, but it's got soul, not unlike a harley davidson, haha.

Here, you might find this interesting:

http://www.seiko5finder.com/

I should post it in that thread by the fellow looking for a first watch. I really love my seiko. With seiko, you can spend under 100 or over 5000... and have a sweet watch that is accurate enough to get you where you need to be on time, and interesting enough to give you a little smile every time you look at it....

SEIKO 5 FOREVER!

It's also got something of a cool factor, in that you can't buy them from a brick and mortar store in the US....

Thanks- I have been considering an affordable hackable winder.

I'm really thinking about getting a luminox p-38 chrono to replace my 11 year old citizen titanium chrono for daily wear. I love the retro aviation styling but the price and reliability have me slightly gun shy.

I haven't found one that I like yet. I used to wear an old Maurice Lacroix (got in 1996) and wore it everyday until a year or so ago when I sent it in for a replacement strap. Ever since it got back, I don't feel like wearing it and I don't like any other watch either. Something weird has happened.

The latest offering from Nomos is fantastic, marking the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, the new Orion is visually stunning and a memorable piece also. At the moment this is simply a lusting rather than a likely purchase...
$NOMOS_Orion_1989_group.jpg

Sometime over the next 12 months I'll be getting my first Speedy, ref. 3573 Saphire Sandwich.

$omega_speedmaster_chaoba_3573_50_00_1.jpg

Last edited:
While it is true that all smart phones have clocks, and most people have smart phones, I do think that watches still have a purpose as a tool.

I started wearing a watch again about a year ago and quickly started relying on it much more than my cell phone. I don't want to pull my cell phone out to check the time when in the middle of a conversation, or in the middle of a business meeting when the wall clock is behind me. I am a Corporate Trainer, and I often end up teaching in the field (literally) or in a room without a clock, and it looks unprofessional to take out my phone to check the time.

I think that a watch is still a tool, much like a DE razor or a badger hair brush. And once I started wearing a watch again, I check the time on my phone almost never. (Well, unless it's to amuse myself by tracking the accuracy of my automatic against my phone's clock...)

+1 - I check my watches against my phone only to see how they are keeping time. I agree that watches are a tool like brushes and razors, I hesitate to say never, but I would bet that a smartwatch will not darken my wrist for a long, long, long time.

Watches, and maybe even more so mechanical watches, give the impression of time passing, and the precision and care that goes into them is such a marvel, especially in today's disposable society. I work in IT and often lament the breakneck pace and disposability of items. I think the reason we get so deep into watches and razors and writing instruments is that as we go forward, items or tools that last scores of years become more and more desirable when we replace our laptops or smartphones every year or two.

+1 - I check my watches against my phone only to see how they are keeping time. I agree that watches are a tool like brushes and razors, I hesitate to say never, but I would bet that a smartwatch will not darken my wrist for a long, long, long time.

Watches, and maybe even more so mechanical watches, give the impression of time passing, and the precision and care that goes into them is such a marvel, especially in today's disposable society. I work in IT and often lament the breakneck pace and disposability of items. I think the reason we get so deep into watches and razors and writing instruments is that as we go forward, items or tools that last scores of years become more and more desirable when we replace our laptops or smartphones every year or two.

+1 well said!

I think the reason we get so deep into watches and razors and writing instruments is that as we go forward, items or tools that last scores of years become more and more desirable when we replace our laptops or smartphones every year or two.

Ha! My coworkers and I were just having this same conversation a week ago. I said something similar in regards to someone sporting a new "smart" watch. The watch on my wrist will likely be functional decades from now. I can't say the same for the smart watch. Mine doesn't need a daily charge either.
:thumbup1:

Love Lange. The new 1815 Tourbillon is made of unobtanium sadly, but at least I have this: View attachment 507247

Love it, IFssr. That is a perfectly done timepiece, in the best materials possible for that version.

There are more than a few AL&S owners here.

My Datograph is one of my most treasured possessions.

AL&S fly so far under the radar of most people's understanding of what makes something truly great, that I avoid even speaking about watches with most others.

Top Bottom