What's new

The new Yaqi Sputnik Razor

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yes, agreed but mostly because the price is right. It also helps I've had good experiences with other offerings from them like the TFC and the zamak telestar. Both work great and are very reasonably priced not on sale.
That teardrop also reminded me of the old Gillette ABC pocket edition shape, with a simpler design(more like a cannon). I went with the Darwin homage, but only because the price was right!
I bought a Chippendale(Darwin) handle on the Monday midnight our time live sale and won a lucky dice with horse hair synthetic brush in a raffle. I also the wanted that new design 316 SS slant, I have the previous version Top aggressive chrome slant (YTAS) and it shaves close with a steep (riding the bar) approach using a short handle. I would caution Newbies with that slant razor until they get their skill level or technique fine tuned but it will reward a person most of the time with BBS shaves.

Just did a few shaves with the Yaqi Sputnik. It's super light but has a tick handle. Personally I prefer short handles and this is a little long for me. You could use another handle but it would make it look a little strange because of the way the handle mates to the extended base plate.
The blade isn't supported by the baseplate completely, the cap does bend the blade to make it more rigid. I don't feel chatter but you can hear more audible feedback. Like @uptown posted it has blade feel but the razor is light enough it feels smooth even with the large 1.25 gap. It's a very efficient razor and will last 12 hours for me.

Posting a shot of the gap and you can see where the support ends on the bottom plate.

20230305_105442.jpg

I have two words for Yaqi, and they are not good morning.

Have you owned and used them or, is this more of a political comment?

While I am not a fan of the ruling party, especially regarding human rights issues, or cloned copies of other's work (IP theft), I also don't want to be derogatory towards individuals within that system who are striving to do good work or that have unique origin products.

I should note I am looking at the Yaqi Bohemia which is my option for an out of production French razor I would like but, can't really find very often, or afford if it is in good condition. That being said, it isn't a clone but, is inspired by it.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think the Sputnik would be to light for me but seeing @Ron R reviews of the new slant as me hooked, I'll definitely be getting one within the next few weeks.

I think the Sputnik would be to light for me but seeing @Ron R reviews of the new slant as me hooked, I'll definitely be getting one within the next few weeks.
They have a good "event" sale going on right now plus various coupons on Aliexpress. I believe this sale is good for the next ~36 hours.

If you want something from Yaqi, I would look this evening and see if the sale price is good enough to prompt your purchase like it did for me for a Bohemia razor.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
They have a good "event" sale going on right now plus various coupons on Aliexpress. I believe this sale is good for the next ~36 hours.

If you want something from Yaqi, I would look this evening and see if the sale price is good enough to prompt your purchase like it did for me for a Bohemia razor.
Thank you very much for the heads up unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment 😢.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As good as time as now when they are on sale, good deal I'm thinking. You will not get it any cheaper than what is offered on this trending sale & make sure to grab the Ali_xpress coupon for more savings in your pocket.

Hello,
I succumbed to RAD and a Bohemia is making it's way to R.I. for $55 USD delivered. Good sale plus coupons.

Cheers
John

Top Bottom