What's new

The new (used) SP101 .38 special is here!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Isn’t it the boxer George Forman. Who has like 12 kids boys & girls and they all have his first name somewhere in their name?

Talk about narcissistic…. :)
LOL, he's my hero! But, sadly, I only have one child... But his middle name is the same as the Tanned Farmer's first name.

I BEGGED my wife to name him Sue. But, as it turned out, he's got TOO MUCH gravel in his guts and spit in his eye! He almost makes me look meek.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great post! I will be ordering the spring kit and giving it a go. Have you happened to see @Ad Astra SP101 with the tritium front sight post upgrade?

Pretty good stuff. He should post a pic? :)

Apparently I didn't make a thread, because there are so many SP101 threads! 🤣

🤔 I did this...

"Wolff Gunsprings tune up kit for Ruger SP-101 arrived.

Immediately I put the 10-pound mainspring in, dropping it from factory 14-pound. A lighter, smoother trigger feels great! (Kit comes with 9, 10 and 12-pound. Some report light primer hits with 9-pound).

Now the 8-pound trigger return spring might take a while. That job has 21 steps of disassembly!

AA"

And then I did drill and put the tritium front sight on...

AA

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nah, don't bother taking anything out of the trigger guard, I didn't. Used the drill, carefully, lightly sanded the little cup with 220 grit, barest film of oil in there with a Q-tip, put it all back together. Whole thing took me 15 minutes.

I'm tempted to try the 10# spring. Apparently, MCarbo's spring is 9.5#. But the 12 feels OK to me. Let me know how the 10# does for you, I suspect you could go a LOT of rounds without any light primer strikes, but for a carry gun, intended to be shot at miscreants in dire circumstances, I decided to go with the 12#.

Don't be afraid of the trigger rebound spring thing, I just ignored all the vids and left the entire trigger group alone. Easy, peasy.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Apparently I didn't make a thread, because there are so many SP101 threads! 🤣

🤔 I did this...

"Wolff Gunsprings tune up kit for Ruger SP-101 arrived.

Immediately I put the 10-pound mainspring in, dropping it from factory 14-pound. A lighter, smoother trigger feels great! (Kit comes with 9, 10 and 12-pound. Some report light primer hits with 9-pound).

Now the 8-pound trigger return spring might take a while. That job has 21 steps of disassembly!

AA"

And then I did drill and put the tritium front sight on...

AA

You got a front sight pic? :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Screenshot_20220208-200001_Samsung Internet.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@Ad Astra Forgive me if this was mentioned before, but what sight is that? Did you install it yourself? I'm a shade tree gunsmith and if I understand correctly, you need to drift pin out with a roll pin punch then when the sight is installed, you need to drill it with a 1/16" bit and repin it, yes?

Sounds fiddly but I'm game. If I end up without a front sight I can always pay to have someone fix my mistake, right? :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Ad Astra Forgive me if this was mentioned before, but what sight is that? Did you install it yourself? I'm a shade tree gunsmith and if I understand correctly, you need to drift pin out with a roll pin punch then when the sight is installed, you need to drill it with a 1/16" bit and repin it, yes?

Sounds fiddly but I'm game. If I end up without a front sight I can always pay to have someone fix my mistake, right? :lol:

Yeah, it was the Meprolite.

I did drill mine successfully, though I worried about it a bit. I didn't have a drill press and actually used a Dremel/bit.

🤔 Based on what I've seen, you can absolutely do it! 🤣

AA

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yep, and I have a bench vise with soft grips. A bench vise makes the difference between a nightmare and an easy-peasy job, highly overlooked and underrated tool. Thank you, Meprolight ordered.

Still struggling with the 12# or 10# spring. The 15% reduction versus the 28% reduction gives me pause. But I still have the rest of the spring kit, I can take my sweet time with the decision.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Did not get to the sights this weekend, but got some gunsmith stones and did an action job (no Flitz, just stones) and it feels great. I have hammer, trigger, and hammer dog shims coming, I will install those and the sights next weekend, I hope.

Lordy, the action job was fiddly, but educational and rewarding. If you try one on your revolver, be sure to use a plastic bag when removing (and installing) parts that have small springs and pawls to avoid disaster. They do fly and they are small, but I learned my lesson loooong ago, so had the bag and didn't lose anything. This time. :D

B76C159A-3D90-4257-921D-2F32263C6D15.jpeg
13DB9D0D-EFBB-45BC-906D-849C279CAC6A.jpeg

Tucker holsters are some really nice work. Actually thinking of getting one. The Andrews holster (top) just did not do it for some reason….that‘s quite odd.
Figured I’d try a Kirkpatrick (bottom). Nice enough leather. No great shake but very serviceable.
Gotta replace the finger groove grips. They are really fine but don’t fit my hand the way I like. They’re up for grabs right now. Once I talk to the Tucker crew the Kirkpatrick rig might be on the block also. I’m VERY particular about my holsters. Lots of decent stuff out there, but only a few makers I think are worth dealing with regularly.
Andrews (currently back ordered forever-rumor is he stopped taking orders temporarily).
Ritchie Bros.
R. Grizzle
Milt Sparks
…..all 3-6 month lead time, but well worth the wait😉

Well sheesh, a part o'me thinks I just spent the afternoon manning the counter at the gun store today. Imagine that.
I guess it's time to start wiping the glass.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All this SP love has me feelin' low about my GP!

Fun gun. Had it just over 20 years now. Bought it during the year 2000 campaign season. WOW, I lied. That gun is old enough to drink now!

Top Bottom