What's new

The new (used) SP101 .38 special is here!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have the SP101 in .327 Federal mag. with the 4.2 in. barrel. The factory grips were too small, and I replaced them with larger Hogue laminated grips. This resulted in better natural sight alignment and a longer/better reach to the trigger.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@OkieStubble I think you posted you were interested in the Wolff Spring kit, and I just did the replacement. Makes a world of difference, I highly recommend it! Came with an 8 lb trigger rebound spring (I don't know what stock is) and 9-10-12# mainsprings, stock is 14#.

Some say they might get light strikes on hard primers with the 9 and even the 10, but no complaints about the 12# that I've come across. This is a defensive revolver for me, I'm not looking to shoot bullseye matches with it, so I started with the 12# and put the rest away once I felt it. Perfect. Meaningful reduction in trigger pull weight (I don't have a gauge), so I thought why even try the 10 and feel like I have to shoot hundreds of rounds through it to be confident in it?

I did not do a lot of mucking around you see in the YouTube videos, either. I did use a 1/4" drill bit to clean up the trigger rebound spring tunnel, then cleaned it with a Q-tip with 2 drops of oil on it. Drop of oil on my fingertip, rub the outside of the little spring cup that goes next to the trigger and the spring itself, then back together. I also 'polished' up the hammer strut a bit with some 200 then 220 grit paper. Actually deburred would be more like it, not really polished, took all of five minutes. That's it. Got it all back together again.

I'm happy enough I don't want to try the 10# main spring. Highly, highly recommended. You can do more if you're so inclined, but this took me all of 10-15 minutes and I'm pleased as punch with the results. I did not take anything out of the trigger housing at all. Very easy.

spring.jpg

I bought an SP-101 in .327 Federal, 3” barrel when they first came out. I bought the Wolff spring kit, but as already stated, was happy enough with the #12 main spring I never tried any of the others. A light polish of the internals, cleaned the trigger spring return tunnel and shimmed the hammer to center it and all was good to go. I prefer the factory grips as well. It’s one of 3 in the regular rotation for EDC anymore.

F568D45B-D65B-491A-A0D5-71619BEB7CE6.jpeg

I have had an SP101 over 25 years and have carried it alot. As has been mentioned, they are heavy. This is a pic of a pair of my jeans. The pic is of the rear of the cuffs. As you can see, the right cuff is frayed from where the SP pulls my pants down...lol...Many of my pants have ended up like that over the years. The second clothing casualty from the SP is the hammer chews holes in my shirts.

20220207_215022.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble I think you posted you were interested in the Wolff Spring kit, and I just did the replacement. Makes a world of difference, I highly recommend it! Came with an 8 lb trigger rebound spring (I don't know what stock is) and 9-10-12# mainsprings, stock is 14#.

Some say they might get light strikes on hard primers with the 9 and even the 10, but no complaints about the 12# that I've come across. This is a defensive revolver for me, I'm not looking to shoot bullseye matches with it, so I started with the 12# and put the rest away once I felt it. Perfect. Meaningful reduction in trigger pull weight (I don't have a gauge), so I thought why even try the 10 and feel like I have to shoot hundreds of rounds through it to be confident in it?

I did not do a lot of mucking around you see in the YouTube videos, either. I did use a 1/4" drill bit to clean up the trigger rebound spring tunnel, then cleaned it with a Q-tip with 2 drops of oil on it. Drop of oil on my fingertip, rub the outside of the little spring cup that goes next to the trigger and the spring itself, then back together. I also 'polished' up the hammer strut a bit with some 200 then 220 grit paper. Actually deburred would be more like it, not really polished, took all of five minutes. That's it. Got it all back together again.

I'm happy enough I don't want to try the 10# main spring. Highly, highly recommended. You can do more if you're so inclined, but this took me all of 10-15 minutes and I'm pleased as punch with the results. I did not take anything out of the trigger housing at all. Very easy.

View attachment 1406386

Great post! I will be ordering the spring kit and giving it a go. Have you happened to see @Ad Astra SP101 with the tritium front sight post upgrade?

Pretty good stuff. He should post a pic? :)

OkieStubble

I bought an SP-101 in .327 Federal, 3” barrel when they first came out. I bought the Wolff spring kit, but as already stated, was happy enough with the #12 main spring I never tried any of the others. A light polish of the internals, cleaned the trigger spring return tunnel and shimmed the hammer to center it and all was good to go. I prefer the factory grips as well. It’s one of 3 in the regular rotation for EDC anymore.

View attachment 1406400

I am diggin’ those black leather holsters. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had an SP101 over 25 years and have carried it alot. As has been mentioned, they are heavy. This is a pic of a pair of my jeans. The pic is of the rear of the cuffs. As you can see, the right cuff is frayed from where the SP pulls my pants down...lol...Many of my pants have ended up like that over the years. The second clothing casualty from the SP is the hammer chews holes in my shirts.

View attachment 1406424
Man.... Tell me the truth.... Yer name is really "Eileen", ain't it?

FarmerTan

View attachment 1406400
It's what you get used to. I don't like them grips, my buddy loves his. I love my GP100 grips, they are the Black rubbery ones surrounding the rosewood inserts. Just fit my hand good from the day I bought it, but honestly, I'd probably have gotten used to whatever came with it.

Same with the trigger. It's a Ruger. There is a company policy that before they let any revolver leave the shop, someone must remove the grips, roll the gun around on the floor and pick up any metal shavings you can find and put the grips back on and ship it out.

It's a conspiracy they have with the ammo manufacturers, because EVERYONE told me that the BEST way to fix up the trigger on a Ruger revolver was to shoot it everyday until your hand hurt, shoot another 2 hours, then repeat every day except Sunday until you have shot 20,000 rounds.

(And this is where the S&W boys say "and it STILL ain't as good as a factory S&W revolver!"

Lol, I crack myself up.

FarmerTan

Yes you do! That's what they called you when you were a kid cuz one of yer legs was longer than the other!

Oh, there I go again!
Lots of my relatives in Eastern Kentucky went by that name. Some of 'em had it so bad they could only walk in circles! True story doggone!

FarmerTan

FT is much sharper than us average yahoo’s. He’s taking advantage of that fact…. :)
There are those folks among the unwashed Mods, er, MASSES that wonder how I ever became an EmbassyDoor, but I have to keep reminding them, I'm a dual threat: brains and an incredibly handsome face.

THAT'S how I got this high payin' gig! True story doggone!

OkieStubble

There are those folks among the unwashed Mods, er, MASSES that wonder how I ever became an EmbassyDoor, but I have to keep reminding them, I'm a dual threat: brains and an incredibly handsome face.

THAT'S how I got this high payin' gig! True story doggone!

Brains and searing good looks, we must be related. :)

OkieStubble

Been sayin' that since I met ya. Ya know, papa WAS a rollin' stone. (And he wore many hats!) Lol, I take after my dear ole mom ya know!

Isn’t it the boxer George Forman. Who has like 12 kids boys & girls and they all have his first name somewhere in their name?

Talk about narcissistic…. :)

Top Bottom