What's new

The new (used) SP101 .38 special is here!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, had it out to the range already. Love it! The trigger is not bad, but I do have the Wolff spring kit and plan on trying the 12# spring. If I like it, I'm not after the lightest pull and I'll stop. If I feel like I should try the 10# it will take 300 rounds of practice ammo to get me confident in it, but I bet the 12# will do the trick. Other than reaming the trigger return spring channel, I'm not planning on doing all that Mcarbo polishing, I doubt it's needed.

Love the gun, especially the Trausch grips, they are terrific! I did not have any issue with a speedloader at all with them. Very comfy little gun. I can see this is the .357 sized gun, the chambers are just reamed a bit shorter, it's very obvious. I'm confident enough in the +P stuff, I'm not really interested in reaming it out to shoot .357 Magnum, I do that in my Security Six.

Finally, I got a Galco Combat master for it, and it's a great holster. They usually have some kind of 15% off promo deal, and I got one. Yeah, I've had fancy one-man-shop holsters, but IMNSHO, you can find a cheaper holster than the Galco, and you can find a better holster than the Galco, but you can't find a better holster for less money than a Galco. They are top quality products at reasonable, if not cheap prices.

Other than the spring replacement, the only other thing I plan on doing is easing the edges of the trigger and the trigger guard, they are a bit sharpish. Maybe I'll polish it up like I did my little Taurus snubby, but not sure I have that much energy. We'll see. Here is a shot of what I took to the range yesterday and a shot of the SP101 and the gun in the Galco holster.

gun.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well, had it out to the range already. Love it! The trigger is not bad, but I do have the Wolff spring kit and plan on trying the 12# spring. If I like it, I'm not after the lightest pull and I'll stop. If I feel like I should try the 10# it will take 300 rounds of practice ammo to get me confident in it, but I bet the 12# will do the trick. Other than reaming the trigger return spring channel, I'm not planning on doing all that Mcarbo polishing, I doubt it's needed.

Love the gun, especially the Trausch grips, they are terrific! I did not have any issue with a speedloader at all with them. Very comfy little gun. I can see this is the .357 sized gun, the chambers are just reamed a bit shorter, it's very obvious. I'm confident enough in the +P stuff, I'm not really interested in reaming it out to shoot .357 Magnum, I do that in my Security Six.

Finally, I got a Galco Combat master for it, and it's a great holster. They usually have some kind of 15% off promo deal, and I got one. Yeah, I've had fancy one-man-shop holsters, but IMNSHO, you can find a cheaper holster than the Galco, and you can find a better holster than the Galco, but you can't find a better holster for less money than a Galco. They are top quality products at reasonable, if not cheap prices.

Other than the spring replacement, the only other thing I plan on doing is easing the edges of the trigger and the trigger guard, they are a bit sharpish. Maybe I'll polish it up like I did my little Taurus snubby, but not sure I have that much energy. We'll see. Here is a shot of what I took to the range yesterday and a shot of the SP101 and the gun in the Galco holster.

View attachment 1405504
View attachment 1405506
View attachment 1405509

Great post. I think you and I are the only one’s with 3” barrels on our SP101’s?

I have been considering converting to the Wolff springs. Most of the forum reading I have done says 10# but I sure would like to know what you think of the 12# after shooting it?

And I am drooling over the RSS pics…. :)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'll let you know, @OkieStubble for sure. I have heard that the 12# is 100% reliable over on the Ruger forum. Most go with the 10# spring, though, although I've heard one or two claim light strikes occasionally with that. I'm going to smooth up the trigger return spring tunnel with a 1/4" drill bit, and maybe polish it a bit with a Q-tip and some polish, but other than that and maybe polishing the hammer strut, it really does not need work, IMO. The stock spring is, I believe, 14#. So I'm hoping the 12# mainspring with the 8# trigger return spring does the trick.

I may do this next weekend, but it could take longer. If you beat me to it, let me know what you find out. I do think this is a terrific little carry gun with the 3" barrel and it may get some serious use from me even though I have a fancy-schmancy carry .45. Something about this gun just speaks to me. :D

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Great post. I think you and I are the only one’s with 3” barrels on our SP101’s?

I don't know, I haven't hung around in here that much. But I do know they are still available from several sellers at just about $450. If, like me, you are satisfied with +P loads for defensive use, this would be an economical way to acquire a 3" Ruger. The new SP101 (.357 capable, though) with the factory rubber grip I've seen for around $650, and I've seen used for around $500.
I'm perfectly fine with the .38 spl +P though.

Atlantic Firearms still has them for $449, $30 shipping to your dealer.

@OkieStubble What grips do you have on yours? If factory, I have a Hogue Monogrip I'll send you just because I like you. :D

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I love where this thread is headed! :D

@Acmemfg No rubber grip, no matter how comfortable they are (and the Trausch are magnificent in that regard) can hold a candle to the look of premium wood grips, IMO. And good, finger groove grips like yours can be almost as comfortable. Love that.

The 3" cobra and the .44 Bulldog are also very handsome. I better get out of here before I start collecting revolvers like razors. They're a bit more spendy. :eek:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

View attachment 1405504
View attachment 1405506
View attachment 1405509
My only problem with the SP 101 was the sheer weight. It shot the .357 just fine but wasn’t very easy on the hand. Plus P’s we’re easy enough to shoot. Regret trading mine for sure. I have a Ruger SLRX now and won’t shoot +P because of the recoil - way too light but great carry gun.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yes, that trade-off is real ... weight versus recoil. I can shoot +P in that little Taurus 85CH snub, because it is all steel. I don't care for the lihtweight snubs. Sure they are easy to carry, but who wants to practice with them.

IMO, though, the SP101 using +P .38 special is pretty much an ideal defensive revolver. No, it's not a pocket gun, but it's comfortable in an OWB holster like mine, and would be easy to carry with an IWB holster -- if I lost 30 lbs. But I conceal in OWB holsters all the time, and I think this rig is going to become one of my favorite carry systems. We shall see!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m may be an oddball, but I prefer the OEM rubber grips without finger grooves.

Without the grooves I can place and grip the pistol just about anywhere I want and they soak up recoil very nicely.

I have no trouble with shooting full power .357 Magnum loads all day long if that is what it came too. :)

I do keep it loaded with Speer .38 +P 135 gr Gold Dot for short barrel, but I also really like, 110 gr .357 for a home defense round. Got a few boxes of some Winchester Silvertips in 110 .357 way back in the day I haven’t ever shot.

Been saving them for special occasions? Nothing special ever goes on around these parts. :)

Top Bottom