What's new

The new tallow-free Haslinger Schafmilch: just as amazing!

I used the Schafmilch just this morning. I like it a lot during cooler weather. For warmer weather, the other flavors like Coconut, Sage or Ringelblumen shave very similarly, they just don't have lanolin.

Great review by Marco. I find the new formula of Schafmilch to be excellent but perhaps not quite as creamy as the tallow version. It is indeed slick and protective and I can easily get the prerequisite BBS. It does seem to rinse slightly easier however and Haslinger surely knows how to make soap. A better value in soapdom is difficult to find. If I had my choice though I would still prefer the old formula. Just one note of concern, Schafmilch contains Hydroxyioshexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde which can be a skin irritant especially if you already struggle with contact dermatitis of some type. I personally have had no issues. The chemical has been used in the past in many skin care products but many are beginning to find alternatives.

Great review by Marco. I find the new formula of Schafmilch to be excellent but perhaps not quite as creamy as the tallow version. It is indeed slick and protective and I can easily get the prerequisite BBS. It does seem to rinse slightly easier however and Haslinger surely knows how to make soap. A better value in soapdom is difficult to find. If I had my choice though I would still prefer the old formula. Just one note of concern, Schafmilch contains Hydroxyioshexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde which can be a skin irritant especially if you already struggle with contact dermatitis of some type. I personally have had no issues. The chemical has been used in the past in many skin care products but many are beginning to find alternatives.
For some reason, people tend to focus on the Schafmilch like a laser beam. Maybe because of the similarities with MWF. But the other Haslinger flavors are just as good, also. There is a Sensitive formula that is intended for people with skin reactions, etc. Nobody ever talks about it.
1603423185973.png

Ok all this haslinger talk made me go through my shave drawer and dig out a plastic container with Haslinger Schafmilch in it. Its stone hard and never used. I have the sticker from the original shrink Wrap on the container but I have no clue if this is the take or vegan version. I guess I threw away the ingredients sticker when I transferred it to this plastic container.

Looking through my emails it's from connaught ordered way back in 2018/04.

I guess I'll just use it blind and enjoy it !

It's a very hard puck - wonder if its triple milled ?

Ok all this haslinger talk made me go through my shave drawer and dig out a plastic container with Haslinger Schafmilch in it. Its stone hard and never used. I have the sticker from the original shrink Wrap on the container but I have no clue if this is the take or vegan version. I guess I threw away the ingredients sticker when I transferred it to this plastic container.

Looking through my emails it's from connaught ordered way back in 2018/04.

I guess I'll just use it blind and enjoy it !

It's a very hard puck - wonder if its triple milled ?
The vegan version has a rabbit on top and says "bio"

"With vegan sheep's milk"? Lol not sure how you can have vegan sheep's milk
"Bio" means it's organic sheep's milk. I guess they don't inject the sheep with antibiotics and hormones. I'm not sure why everyone assumes removing tallow is driven by concerns for animal welfare. Do you know how much meat Germans and Austrians typically eat, BTW?
:laugh:

Removing tallow is more about providing a wholesome, healthful product for the customer. Sure, no sheep were harmed to bring you this shaving soap, but I'm pretty sure when the sheep get too old they are not going to the retirement farm.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For some reason, people tend to focus on the Schafmilch like a laser beam. Maybe because of the similarities with MWF. But the other Haslinger flavors are just as good, also. There is a Sensitive formula that is intended for people with skin reactions, etc. Nobody ever talks about it.
View attachment 1172409
I would agree. I don't have Schafmilch, but do have their Sage and the Marigold one. I have only used the Sage and I like it.

View attachment 1172409

I do. This is a different formula to the current lineup and the performance, for me, is much better.
I'm actually curious to know if they changed the formula of the other soaps to this one.

I do. This is a different formula to the current lineup and the performance, for me, is much better.
I'm actually curious to know if they changed the formula of the other soaps to this one.
The Sensitive formula seems to be using coconut oil in place of palm. They've also made a few substitutions for other ingredients that might cause problems for people with skin sensitivities. The scent is barely there. AFAIK, the other soaps haven't been changed to be more like the Sensitive.

"Bio" means it's organic sheep's milk. I guess they don't inject the sheep with antibiotics and hormones. I'm not sure why everyone assumes removing tallow is driven by concerns for animal welfare. Do you know how much meat Germans and Austrians typically eat, BTW?
:laugh:

Removing tallow is more about providing a wholesome, healthful product for the customer. Sure, no sheep were harmed to bring you this shaving soap, but I'm pretty sure when the sheep get too old they are not going to the retirement farm.
I don't see how removing tallow in any way provides either a more wholesome or a more healthful product to the consumer. Talk that tallow soap is somehow not wholesome or healthful is nonsense, in my opinion.

By the way, has anybody on this thread ever tried the Cold River Soap Works Schapenmelk soap, and, if so, can you compare it with the Haslinger Schafmilk please?

I don't see how removing tallow in any way provides either a more wholesome or a more healthful product to the consumer. Talk that tallow soap is somehow not wholesome or healthful is nonsense, in my opinion.

By the way, has anybody on this thread ever tried the Cold River Soap Works Schapenmelk soap, and, if so, can you compare it with the Haslinger Schafmilk please?
So, you wouldn't mind tallow imported from some diseased Chinese animals being used in your soap? Their regulations are so lax, you just don't know what you are getting. It might not be from cows no matter what the label says.

Check out the EU regulations sometime, I think that is where a lot of this push to remove certain ingredients is coming from. They have had a lot of concerns over BSE (mad cow) just to take one example.

Inspired by the recent discussions on Haslinger shaving soaps and their latest reformulation to a tallow-free formula, I decided to buy a few pucks of the Schafmilch, one of my all-time favourite, and test it myself.

But before going on I want to give some info on this historic brand to the new members or to those new to wet shaving. Haslinger is a very well-recognised and respected Austrian company based in Vienna, manufacturer of top-tier and low priced soaps since 1890. In particular their shaving soaps are famous for their excellent quality, reasonable cost and creamy dense lather. The experienced wet shavers know very well how fantastic these little pucks of soaps are... The reason or the secret? Their powerful formula combined with almost 130 years of wisdom in the soap making process. A unique formula so effective that ensures maximum ease of use, maximum glide to the razor and maximum protection to the skin, thanks to its highly nourishing and moisturizing agents. In other words a winning formula that allows to get a very close, clean, comfortable wet shave.

One of the key ingredients in the old formulation was... tallow. Or not? In all honesty, I have never considered tallow a "magic ingredient" and never thought that a soap was great just because containing tallow (or that a soap was poor just because not containing any).

Therefore, as said above, I pulled the trigger and purchased the new pucks.

From the very first shave it was clear to me that the new soaps were absolutely amazing. To be fully sincere, I was not even able to tell any difference with the old tallow pucks. I repeated the shaves and, again, got only exceptional results.

I also must admit that it was awhile that I hadn't used Haslinger and I just had great memories of the previous tallow soaps.

But why not test the old formula Vs the new one in a direct comparison with a head to head shave? I did, using exactly the same prep, same brushes (almost), same razors, same blades and same post-shave treatment to keep things 100% equal and fair.

Here is how I proceeded: I applied hot water to my beard, massaged a few drops of Floid pre-shave oil for about one minute, lathered the left side of my face with the old tallow Schafmilch and the right side with the new tallow-free one. The brushes I used were respectively a Simpson Duke 2 Best and a Duke 3 Best. The razors were two Merkur 34C HD loaded with a brand new Israeli Red Personna (one razor plus new blade for each side). The aftershave was an Alum Block, followed by a simple cold water rinse.

The shave went on magnificently on both sides. Again, I was not able to tell any important difference in the quality of the wet shave. If I really want to split hairs I can say that the tallow lather felt somehow heavier and "wetter", while the tallow-free lather felt a bit lighter and slicker. Both lathers were thick and provided wonderful cushion and a super moisturizing post-shave feel, even without any balm, milk or skin food!

But the final results were exactly the same.

The new tallow-free Schafmilch is a sure winner in my book and Haslinger simply continues to be a top-tier shaving soap in my arsenal.
Hello Marco you really got me curious about this soap, any link from where to buy it ?, I'm based in Belgium thx in advance

So, you wouldn't mind tallow imported from some diseased Chinese animals being used in your soap? Their regulations are so lax, you just don't know what you are getting. It might not be from cows no matter what the label says.

Check out the EU regulations sometime, I think that is where a lot of this push to remove certain ingredients is coming from. They have had a lot of concerns over BSE (mad cow) just to take one example.
What are you talking about? I don't buy Chinese soaps, to begin with. Tallow is rendered and then saponified. After it is saponified it is no longer tallow. It is now soap.

As far as mad cow disease is concerned, a couple of things. First, there was a lot more mad cow in Europe than there was in China. Second, it has never been shown to be passed by topical application of soap.

You said "to take one example," but there is no other example. Bacteria cannot survive rendering and saponification.

In short, I have no health concerns at all concerning use of tallow-based soaps. I am a board certified infectious diseases physician with 32 years of experience, and I use tallow soaps a lot.

What are you talking about? I don't buy Chinese soaps, to begin with. Tallow is rendered and then saponified. After it is saponified it is no longer tallow. It is now soap.

As far as mad cow disease is concerned, a couple of things. First, there was a lot more mad cow in Europe than there was in China. Second, it has never been shown to be passed by topical application of soap.

You said "to take one example," but there is no other example. Bacteria cannot survive rendering and saponification.

In short, I have no health concerns at all concerning use of tallow-based soaps. I am a board certified infectious diseases physician with 32 years of experience, and I use tallow soaps a lot.
I don't want to get into a lengthy debate, and I doubt you do, either. I am not trying to implicate all tallow in the world. Granted, BSE is rare.

BSE is transmitted by prions, not bacteria or viruses. Prions can survive the rendering process. The outbreak of BSE in cattle in the UK resulted in roughly 180,000 animals being infected, around four million destroyed as a control measure. Prions are thought to have infected the animals through meat-and-bone-meal from sheep. Meat-and-bone-meal is a product of rendering. Prions were able to survive rendering. There have been cases of suspected transmission of BSE to humans through medical instruments, though very rare.

Many scientists say around 60% of human diseases originated from animals and perhaps 75% of newly emerging diseases will. There are quite a lot of EU regulations about the importation and use of ingredients derived from animal products, some of which apply to tallow. It may be easier for a business person to just bypass all that by not using animal-derived ingredients if possible. Haslinger must have gone through a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom