What's new

The new tallow-free Haslinger Schafmilch: just as amazing!

I've been a loyal buyer of sandalwood and have been using the vegan for the past few months. I can't point out a big difference in the shave quality. What I do find is that it seems more thirsty. It takes a little longer to load. When dry, it develops a deeper surface cracking than the older formula.

Bumping an old thread, I know. But having been away from the forums for a while, I had no idea Haslinger had removed tallow from their soaps until I saw someone mention a “reformulated” Schafmilch in a different thread.

My heart sank. As we know, it seems all too often that a soap reformulation doesn’t end particularly well for the devout followers of an old soap.

There are not many reviews that I read without a grain of salt or waiting to pass judgement until I give it a try myself. A comparison by Marco, however, is a different story.

Thank you for the write up, Marco. Schafmilch is by and large my go to soap, especially during the harsh winters here in Chicago. Having just worked through a very sizable backlog of soaps and creams, more pucks of Schafmilch will be on the horizon this autumn, and I’m very glad to hear that the next time I pick it up, I won’t be let down.

I've been a loyal buyer of sandalwood and have been using the vegan for the past few months. I can't point out a big difference in the shave quality. What I do find is that it seems more thirsty. It takes a little longer to load. When dry, it develops a deeper surface cracking than the older formula.
I agree. One can let a few drops of water soak into the puck a few minutes before use and all is well, ime.

Perhaps I'm lucky to have never had the chance to try the tallow version because my limited experience with the newer reformulation is that it's a great soap and I look forward to using it more in the future. It's difficult to put Haslinger in the same category as some other reformulation. They at least waited to formulate a great product before releasing.

I'm also not one to believe Tallow is the only way to make great soap. I've had veggie soaps that were great and Tallow soaps the flopped. Admittedly though the veggie soaps tends to be be lower on the bell curve and Tallow higher.

Like many, I never had a chance to try the tallow version. But the new version is top of the line for me too! Who needs tallow when a soap can be this good?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Recently got a new Shavemac Silvertip and Bernd was kind enough to include a puck of the Aloe Vera in the shopping box. I really do enjoy doing business with Shavemac.

I haven’t tried the soap yet but am looking forward to it. Just don’t really have a place to store the puck where I can load from it well also.

...I haven’t tried the soap yet but am looking forward to it. Just don’t really have a place to store the puck where I can load from it well also.

Something from the kitchen cabinet, maybe? :biggrin1:
Haslinger pucks also fit in most decent size coffee mugs.

loading-bowl-1.jpg

I got a puck of the new and really enjoyed it. Mind you I've never tried the old, it really buffles me why the soap was changed. It already contains animal products(lanolin) so removing the tallow won't get any vegans to buy it.

I got a puck of the new and really enjoyed it. Mind you I've never tried the old, it really buffles me why the soap was changed. It already contains animal products(lanolin) so removing the tallow won't get any vegans to buy it.
Perhaps because animals don't have to be killed to obtain lanolin? It's a by-product of shearing sheep for wool. I mean, look at that cute lamb on the label, this way it gets to grow up.
:biggrin1:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Isn't it wonderful to find a greatly-loved product has gone and done it again?!!! Thanks for the review!

Ugh. Another bit of bad news I find since returning to the forums
Luckily instill have a shave stick I made of schafmilch, as well as a half a pick and a fresh one. Also one coconut and one aloe that's the old tallow.
I wish they would have just sold both like most companies do. Hate to see such a change from such an old company.
I realize many say it's the same, but I have my doubts. I guess I'll grab one new one next time I order from maggard and see, but I have a bad feeling it won't be the same as my beloved schafmilch of old...

If you do a true blind test, with like 10 small cuts (5 from each) from old and new formulation, I doubt you could notice a difference.
Someone with both formulations could do it...or send a old puck to me, and I'll do it, for science 🤣
Haslinger Schaffmilch is a great soap. I have to try other versions at some point as well

I never had the tallow, but the Schaffmilch and Aloe Vera are the bomb! Just proves, you don't have to purchase expensive soaps.

Top Bottom