What's new

The new tallow-free Haslinger Schafmilch: just as amazing!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Inspired by the recent discussions on Haslinger shaving soaps and their latest reformulation to a tallow-free formula, I decided to buy a few pucks of the Schafmilch, one of my all-time favourite, and test it myself.

But before going on I want to give some info on this historic brand to the new members or to those new to wet shaving. Haslinger is a very well-recognised and respected Austrian company based in Vienna, manufacturer of top-tier and low priced soaps since 1890. In particular their shaving soaps are famous for their excellent quality, reasonable cost and creamy dense lather. The experienced wet shavers know very well how fantastic these little pucks of soaps are... The reason or the secret? Their powerful formula combined with almost 130 years of wisdom in the soap making process. A unique formula so effective that ensures maximum ease of use, maximum glide to the razor and maximum protection to the skin, thanks to its highly nourishing and moisturizing agents. In other words a winning formula that allows to get a very close, clean, comfortable wet shave.

One of the key ingredients in the old formulation was... tallow. Or not? In all honesty, I have never considered tallow a "magic ingredient" and never thought that a soap was great just because containing tallow (or that a soap was poor just because not containing any).

Therefore, as said above, I pulled the trigger and purchased the new pucks.

From the very first shave it was clear to me that the new soaps were absolutely amazing. To be fully sincere, I was not even able to tell any difference with the old tallow pucks. I repeated the shaves and, again, got only exceptional results.

I also must admit that it was awhile that I hadn't used Haslinger and I just had great memories of the previous tallow soaps.

But why not test the old formula Vs the new one in a direct comparison with a head to head shave? I did, using exactly the same prep, same brushes (almost), same razors, same blades and same post-shave treatment to keep things 100% equal and fair.

Here is how I proceeded: I applied hot water to my beard, massaged a few drops of Floid pre-shave oil for about one minute, lathered the left side of my face with the old tallow Schafmilch and the right side with the new tallow-free one. The brushes I used were respectively a Simpson Duke 2 Best and a Duke 3 Best. The razors were two Merkur 34C HD loaded with a brand new Israeli Red Personna (one razor plus new blade for each side). The aftershave was an Alum Block, followed by a simple cold water rinse.

The shave went on magnificently on both sides. Again, I was not able to tell any important difference in the quality of the wet shave. If I really want to split hairs I can say that the tallow lather felt somehow heavier and "wetter", while the tallow-free lather felt a bit lighter and slicker. Both lathers were thick and provided wonderful cushion and a super moisturizing post-shave feel, even without any balm, milk or skin food!

But the final results were exactly the same.

The new tallow-free Schafmilch is a sure winner in my book and Haslinger simply continues to be a top-tier shaving soap in my arsenal.

Great review Marco, again. Thank you.

I'm new to the Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap with Sheep Milk and Lanolin game. But only two shaves in, I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying it. Considering your report, it's not the Lanolin or the Tallow that's making it so great though! I wonder what it is lol!?

It must be the Austrian highlands :001_rolle.

Inspired by the recent discussions on Haslinger shaving soaps and their latest reformulation to a tallow-free formula, I decided to buy a few pucks of the Schafmilch, one of my all-time favourite, and test it myself.

But before going on I want to give some info on this historic brand to the new members or to those new to wet shaving. Haslinger is a very well-recognised and respected Austrian company based in Vienna, manufacturer of top-tier and low priced soaps since 1890. In particular their shaving soaps are famous for their excellent quality, reasonable cost and creamy dense lather. The experienced wet shavers know very well how fantastic these little pucks of soaps are... The reason or the secret? Their powerful formula combined with almost 130 years of wisdom in the soap making process. A unique formula so effective that ensures maximum ease of use, maximum glide to the razor and maximum protection to the skin, thanks to its highly nourishing and moisturizing agents. In other words a winning formula that allows to get a very close, clean, comfortable wet shave.

One of the key ingredients in the old formulation was... tallow. Or not? In all honesty, I have never considered tallow a "magic ingredient" and never thought that a soap was great just because containing tallow (or that a soap was poor just because not containing any).

From the very first shave it was clear to me that the new soaps were absolutely amazing. To be fully sincere, I was not even able to tell any difference with the old tallow pucks. I repeated the shaves and, again, got only exceptional results.

I also must admit that it was awhile that I hadn't used Haslinger and I just had great memories of the previous tallow soaps.

But why not test the old formula Vs the new one in a direct comparison with a head to head shave? I did, using exactly the same prep, same brushes (almost), same razors, same blades and same post-shave treatment to keep things 100% equal and fair.

Here is how I proceeded: I applied hot water to my beard, massaged a few drops of Floid pre-shave oil for about one minute, lathered the left side of my face with the old tallow Schafmilch and the right side with the new tallow-free one. The brushes I used were respectively a Simpson Duke 2 Best and a Duke 3 Best. The razors were two Merkur 34C HD loaded with a brand new Israeli Red Personna (one razor plus new blade for each side). The aftershave was an Alum Block, followed by a simple cold water rinse.

The shave went on magnificently on both sides. Again, I was not able to tell any important difference in the quality of the wet shave. If I really want to split hairs I can say that the tallow lather felt somehow heavier and "wetter", while the tallow-free lather felt a bit lighter and slicker. Both lathers were thick and provided wonderful cushion and a super moisturizing post-shave feel, even without any balm, milk or skin food!

The new tallow-free Schafmilch is a sure winner in my book and Haslinger simply continues to be a top-tier shaving soap in my arsenal.
Thank you for a great review. I'm going to have to try this product!

Thanks for the review. I tried haslinger for the first time last night. It was the sheep's milk one. Very easily lathered slick and protective.

Here is how I proceeded: I applied hot water to my beard, massaged a few drops of Floid pre-shave oil for about one minute, lathered the left side of my face with the old tallow Schafmilch and the right side with the new tallow-free one. The brushes I used were respectively a Simpson Duke 2 Best and a Duke 3 Best. The razors were two Merkur 34C HD loaded with a brand new Israeli Red Personna (one razor plus new blade for each side).

I like the attention to detail, but can we be absolutely sure that lack of two identical brushes isn't giving us inaccurate results here? :D :D :D

Just kidding of course, good to hear new formula is just as good, tallow version of Haslinger indeed is a great soap.

Sir Marco,

I have been reading your reviews, that latest and previous ones, about Haslinger with great interest. The latest one made me pull the trigger and buy a puck. I am, however, undecided between the Aloe Vera and Marigold (Ringelblumen) which is supposedly an ingredient with medicinal properties specially suitable for sensitive skin which I suffer from.

I have to avoid lanolin at all costs, it seems that Schammilch is the only one Haslinger soap with lanolin. I have checked various websites and it looks like 'Aloe Vera' and 'Marigold' do NOT contain lanolin, so I'll go with either of those.

Dear learned members, please advise between 'Aloe Vera' and "Marigold', which would be gentler and more suitable for sensitive skin. Thanks ;))

Good write-up, have had the same experience, in fact some of the Haslinger shaving soaps used to be non-tallow around decade ago also.

Haslinger is my favorite soap, I use it daily. I also tried the new formula to the old tallow version and simply find no difference in performance. Haslinger remains among the best and clearly they are masters of their craft.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great to know for a fact!

I ordered more when word went out, so I've got to burn through ... Um ... Three and a half with tallow, first.

Haslinger is a go-to when using a mean razor. Scent isn't much but the protection you can depend on!

AA

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir Marco,

I have been reading your reviews, that latest and previous ones, about Haslinger with great interest. The latest one made me pull the trigger and buy a puck. I am, however, undecided between the Aloe Vera and Marigold (Ringelblumen) which is supposedly an ingredient with medicinal properties specially suitable for sensitive skin which I suffer from.

I have to avoid lanolin at all costs, it seems that Schammilch is the only one Haslinger soap with lanolin. I have checked various websites and it looks like 'Aloe Vera' and 'Marigold' do NOT contain lanolin, so I'll go with either of those.

Dear learned members, please advise between 'Aloe Vera' and "Marigold', which would be gentler and more suitable for sensitive skin. Thanks ;))

Sir, it is my opinion that both the Aloe Vera and the Marigold are excellent options for a very sensitive skin and performance is equal, too. You could also proceed buying one of each, considering the really reasonable cost. Please, let us know and report back your experience!

Excellent review! Pleased to see that the new formula performs!

(Just in case, I stocked up on the 'tallow' soaps so it may be awhile before I get to their new stock.)

Nice review, Marco. I'm glad they have maintained their superior quality.

I first tried Haslinger about two years ago and was amazed by the quality.

Thank you Marco, I will go with Aloe Vera first to make sure that Haslinger agrees with my face to begin with since I never tried the brand before, I am optimistic it will. I was planning on not buying various, widely-accessable soaps and instead invest on MdC or Xpec, but I could not resist the temptation after that 'tantalizing' review!

Great review. This is a soap that I’ve never tried but this wonderful write-up has motivated me to do so. Cheers.

@imcnok , I spent a great deal of time researching the answer to that question. Apparently, the sheep milk version which also has lanolin performs better, it is also much more popular than the others. When I looked into reviews posted on various online vendors selling Haslinger, the sheep milk version had far more reviews than did the rest. Too bad I can't use that because of sensitivity to lanolin.

Top Bottom