What's new

The New Schick Hydro Razor!!...a quick review

Why would they ever want to go back to the old ways? Makes no sense from a business point of view. I would imagine that between Gillette and Schick that they own a good 98% of the market for razors-I am excluding electric shavers from this. Now, they have you hooked as if you buy one of their cartridge systems-Fusion, Mach 3, Schick Quattro, Hydro, what-have-you, you are married to the cartridge for that razor handle. Since most of this stuff is patented, and also backed up by a formidable marketing campaign, they have you buying cartridges over and over again. Compare this to double edge blades or injector blades. There are no patents on these blades, and witness the manufacturers that exist today. There is no profit in bringing back an old technology that can be made by anyone with machine tools. There are huge profits in selling a patented, proprietary system at a high price. That is the sad reality of the situation, and they have no reason to go back-it would hurt their profits, plain and simple. :glare:

A billion dollar ad campaign isn't just going to pay for itself! I'm curious how much percentage of Gillette's and Schick's revenue go towards advertising.

Plus, P&G owns Gillette and Old spice, which are probably the most advertised personal care products

I'd be interested to learn why the razor designers keep putting the lube strip or lubricated reservoir (that just doesn't sound like something I want near my face) ABOVE the blades, so that any potential benefit from the strip would only occur on a second stroke over the exact same area.

I've wondered this too, but it occurs to me that that might be precisely what it's designed to do. The logic (I'm guessing) would be you start out protected by the shaving cream you've applied, the blades remove that along with the stubble, and the lube strip lays down some fresh protection so you can go back over the same patch without stopping to reapply more shaving cream. Just a thought.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A billion dollar ad campaign isn't just going to pay for itself! I'm curious how much percentage of Gillette's and Schick's revenue go towards advertising.

Plus, P&G owns Gillette and Old spice, which are probably the most advertised personal care products

I think their markup on the cost of the product can easily take care of the advertising cost. Men's grooming products have always been highly advertised. We men are highly brand conscious.

I disagree. I have been shaving my head and face for 15 years now. I have used all types of razors (Safety and straight included). Recently I bought an assortment of Schick and Gillette razors. After a month or so of alternating razors and multiple shaves with each razor I can honestly say that this new Schick hydro 5 is the best razor I have shaved with. It removes 3-5 day stubble in one pass and is the gentlest shaving razor I have ever used. There is zero irritation when I am done with a shave. Safety razors don't shave any closer. Also, I have not had one nick or cut since I started using this razor. I am very pleased. I use it in conjunction with a Razor Pit to keep it sharp. I get more than a month out of each razor head. That includes 2-3 full head shaves a week. Not bad! (for anyone not familiar with the Razor Pit, get familiar. It works.)

I like the Schick Hydro 5 and to me it is as good as the Gillette Fusion Proglide. I only use shaving cream once out of every three shaves and the other two shaves I just use water (shaving cream seems to clean out the gunk in the multiblade cartridges - at least for my face it does). Strop the razor after it starts to feel dull or you feel tugging and that will make it last longer. I have only used one cartridge so far and the best way to keep it clean is rinse it through the top of the blade then rinse the bottom. I use a cartridge razor when I either feel lazy or have messed up my face and need to let it heal (I shave the day after I did the damage to my face then I can skip a day). In regards to the lazy comment I just made I found out a few months ago that the Schick Injector model E lets me skip a day when I need to because it shaves just as close as a Schick Hydro 5 and Gillette Fusion Proglide. Amazing that one blade shaves as close as 5 in two passes. The Schick Injector model E is an awesome razor for the lack of effort required and the fact that I can just shave with water with it and feel no irritation.

I used electric razors all my life until the end of June 2013 then I started DE shaving a week after I started using my first manual razor and that first razor was the Schick Hydro 5. Because of what I just said I bought one of every cartridge razor out there just to try and eventually I will either sell them or use them. I like DE shaving and SE shaving.

"Most multi blade cartridges just clogs in the first half inch if using real soap or cream and then you can never get it out."

Instead of the Hydro, they should just call it the "Clog-matic".

Top Bottom