What's new

The neverending quest for the ultimate shave den

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The quest never seems to end, but I am at a point I definitely don't need anything, but I do want things from time to time and like my wife says I could have worse hobbiesView attachment 1446551

We use purple light so we don't scare the neighbors. That is a huge shaving collection! I be that took years in the making. And I spot Stirling soaps! And if you have any Tabac, well it must be buried behind everything else in there lol. And I think you may have lots of bubbles on those shelves too, Caties bubbles! HEHE

And there better be some Captains Choice aftershaves up there or your fired. Jk LOL! - Amazing collection. And your wife is right, you could have worse hobbies, like drinking, gambling, all worse stuff.

I'm pretty much set for now. Have enough new and vintage hardware to keep me busy, and a 30-year supply of blades, though I'll still look at local antique stores for old razors and barber bottles - as I enjoy the hunt.

As far as soaps, creams, and aftershaves I'm going to stick to a self-imposed "one out, one in" policy. I don't have much, and intend to keep it that way.

These days, I find it more enjoyable to focus on a small, well curated selection and enjoy the shaving experience with familiar equipment.
Lots of wisdom here.

For me on most days I have settled on a Blackbird SB, MDC Original and using my Dirty Bird brush scuttle. The variety comes in blades, aftershaves and a modest shave brush rotation.

I started out very minimal with 4 synthetic brushes and 6 razors in my shave den for the first 2 years and then got interested in collecting ASR razors and then into brushes and some modern razors.
Then had some surgeries 2 years ago and got bored and started buying shave brushes at whole sale prices and some razors also wholesale and enjoyed that while recuperating was almost therapy and with Covid 19 we did not travel anywhere like we use to.
My brushes average price is around $12.50 Canadian because I buy mostly on sales in the last 2 years.
My den is mostly done with and I have used most of my razors many times because I'm a daily shaver and enjoy variety.
It might be hard to believe but all of this stuff has been paid off by trimming my own hair over the last 4.5 years and not buying cartridge blades and gel. Some of the photo's are not up to date but they are the bulk of what I do have.
I have given some of my brushes and razors as gifts to encourage folks to try traditional wet shaving.(Son & son inlaw, friend)
(each razor rack holds 8 razors and they are part of a large rotation of about 44 razors.) I have enjoyed collecting and buying.
View attachment 1445189
Have some great shaves!
What is that you are using to hold your brushes? Two brushes in each fork, that's nice.

No shave den for me, it would be nice though. The best I can do is a 1950's Gillette (I believe) DE, I really like it, a cheapo shavette and a few Stirling soap samples. I would like to get a more modern DE, a better shavette, an affordable (cheap) SR and custom SR and brush oh and a larger soap collection. But first I need a new brush and I want to add a scuttle/bowl. I have no chance at custom anything, but one can dream, right?
I have a frugal tip for you. I went to the Dollar Tree the other day and found a shave gel there that works great, for $1.25.
I forget what its called, but the tube is short and fat, obviously says shave gel, and is a shiny green lettering that looks like the old Mennen Skin Bracer. I found that it works as good as Cremo for a fraction of the price.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am in possession of the ultimate shave den...I just have to whittle down what I have to only what I really really like. It's coming...it's coming...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Translation: The wife said, you have too much, and some of it needs to go. 😝

He he...that would be an excellent guess, but... she's actually very supportive. It's really now become my desire to dial it back. As the OP said...so many soaps...all good...some really good. Why would I want to waste a shave on just ok stuff? Change of pace? I suppose...but I would rather pickup something that's going to enhance the experience. In the end, hardware and software will be reduced.

I have a frugal tip for you. I went to the Dollar Tree the other day and found a shave gel there that works great, for $1.25.
I forget what its called, but the tube is short and fat, obviously says shave gel, and is a shiny green lettering that looks like the old Mennen Skin Bracer. I found that it works as good as Cremo for a fraction of the price.

I am not one for the dollar stores, don't trust anything from them, especially if was going on or in my body. Last time I was in a dollar store my brother and I were looking for targets for my nephews to shoot at with a .22. I'm not cheap, I'm poor. Sounds like you found a product that works for you. I will check it out though, I have a bit of trust of people on this forum, thank you for the suggestion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
They are stainless steel tubing and plastic adjustable Guitar wall hangers, I find them to work real well even if they are not meant(designed) for shave brushes. They come foam padded another plus so they do not scratch the handle and seem to stay put. I had one arm on one seem to lose and all you do is bush it back and took some pliers and crimped some small dents and made it stiff enough to get the arm to hold position well for holding the brushes with no issues at all. Also they will fit any brush diameter of handle because they are adjustable. I also shortened a few & that was fairly easy and found as my collection grew I regretted shortening them.
I'm very happy with them and they are reasonably inexpensive and I can display them better in a small area with out damaging them.
( A old archived photo I took about a year ago.)
Brush collage of new brush and razor holder..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom