What's new

The Neck Area Shaving Info Thread : post tips, suggestions that would help others.

I'm still in the earliest of learning stages but by paying more attention to the actual grain of the hair on my neck I found that what I thought was a WTG pass was actually an XTG pass so I have adjusted that accordingly and already got better results. The biggest things I'm currently struggling with is being able to put the razor down and accept that shave I have (resist the urge to do 5+ passes to try to get BBS) and to put no pressure on the razor. I have to constantly tell myself "no pressure, no pressure, no pressure".

+1 for everything you said. :thumbup1:

I have found that mapping beard growth is trickier than it may seem. After several futile attempts at trying to understand the growth pattern of my beard, I finally decided to sit down and really focus on the growth direction. I was surprised to discover that I had it mostly incorrect until now. I took pencil and pad and made notes and applied it to this morning’s shave. The result was a smoother shave, esp. on my neck.

I can live with not getting 100% BBS every shave but I can't live with not trying. Might as well go electric otherwise IMO.

My tips as in what I do on the neck...

. Shallowest angle possible

. No pressure, not even the razors weight

. Multiple passes, beard reduction

. Feel the grain with the fingertips

. Short strokes, tiny strokes if need be

. If ATG feels too much try XTG but at less or more than 90 degrees

. XTG from both directions before attempting ATG

. Sharp smooth blade is a must

By sharp blade I mean a sharp blade. Not one with 5 or 20 shaves on it. Also it's important to know when to give up and accept what ya got. Also if you must shave every day accept a true BBS probably isn't doable every day. Lastly beware those who claim to get a BBS shave on the first or second pass. They're either lying, incredibly fortunate or 12 years old.

I really appreciate your tips! Your post has helped to clarify some thoughts I have been having lately. thanks!

I have found that mapping beard growth is trickier than it may seem. After several futile attempts at trying to understand the growth pattern of my beard, I finally decided to sit down and really focus on the growth direction. I was surprised to discover that I had it mostly incorrect until now. I took pencil and pad and made notes and applied it to this morning’s shave. The result was a smoother shave, esp. on my neck.

Good point. In my case the growth direction(s) in my neck area were so wacky that I just settled for two (mostly) XTG passes, one down, one up. I either stop there with a DFS or do some touching-up if I need a shave that lasts a long time.

For new gents, check out this thread for tips on bullfrogging, and this video for advanced techniques such as J-hooking and blade-buffing.

I'm still in the earliest of learning stages but by paying more attention to the actual grain of the hair on my neck I found that what I thought was a WTG pass was actually an XTG pass so I have adjusted that accordingly and already got better results. The biggest things I'm currently struggling with is being able to put the razor down and accept that shave I have (resist the urge to do 5+ passes to try to get BBS) and to put no pressure on the razor. I have to constantly tell myself "no pressure, no pressure, no pressure".

I know the feeling, even when it is a real good shave, we still think it needs more and more, lol....

First pass WTG is a must. That means the standard N2S might not be the best for you.
I have a couple whorls on my neck and finding the WTG direction for most hairs was a significant improvement.
A friend's beard growth changes direction from down to up in the middle of the neck. I told him about this and made a difference in irritation.

+1 for everything you said. :thumbup1:

Very good procedure, taking notes can be beneficial.

Very good procedure, taking notes can be beneficial.

Thanks Alex! I have found that after a few more days of practice and occasionally referring back to my notes, that the whole picture is becoming a lot clearer. I'm quite excited about how much better my shaves have gotten. I would even venture to say that the quality of my daily shave has improved by a quantum leap - it has made that much difference! This is definitely a milestone on my DE journey, and once again the credit must go the folks here at B&B for their unstinting help and support. Thanks B&B!
:thumbup:

Not so much as a tip, but an observation.

There is a red spot on my neck that I keep thinking is razor burn. I didn't shave yesterday or today and the redness is still there. It looks like this red area is where the hair growth maks a 180 deg turn and is in a area where my neck creases when I look down. So I'm thinking this isn't razor burn at all. It may be irritation from my stubble rubbing the skin.

Just a thought I wanted to share with others that might have persistent redness on the neck.

The neck area is always one of the hardest areas for everyone to get a good close and smooth shave. For some reason it is common for the hair on the neck to grow in all sorts of crazy directions. For example, WTG on your cheeks might be ATG when you get to your neck shaving the same direction. Once I had an understanding of how my hair grows, the neck area became much much easier to conquer.

The neck area is always one of the hardest areas for everyone to get a good close and smooth shave. For some reason it is common for the hair on the neck to grow in all sorts of crazy directions. For example, WTG on your cheeks might be ATG when you get to your neck shaving the same direction. Once I had an understanding of how my hair grows, the neck area became much much easier to conquer.

+1 - this is precisely what I discovered when I properly mapped my growth pattern.

There is a red spot on my neck that I keep thinking is razor burn. I didn't shave yesterday or today and the redness is still there. It looks like this red area is where the hair growth maks a 180 deg turn and is in a area where my neck creases when I look down. So I'm thinking this isn't razor burn at all. It may be irritation from my stubble rubbing the skin.

Just a thought I wanted to share with others that might have persistent redness on the neck.
Ingrown maybe?

Ingrown maybe?

I don't think so. There are no pumps or anything like that. It's just redness on the skin. I'm thinking self induced stubble burn.

I'm going to TRY very hard to minimize pressure and use the shallowest angle possible in this area to see if it stays red after shaving.

I have that as well. If you take a break from shaving for 1 week or so it disappears. What has worked for me is a single WTG pass over that area. In about 2 weeks from that point it will be all good.
That said, due to my perfectionism, I can't just do a single pass with the grain over that area, cause it leaves visible stubble. What I've noticed is that this redness slowly reduces in size. I guess it's the technique being improved.

Finally, mu current routine on the lower part of my neck, where the problem resides is this:
Very good prep, lather, do the usual passes (2 with touchups) leaving the lather on my lower neck, and on the touchup pass, do a single ATG, slowly and as lightly as I can achieve. This has taken care both of the visible stubble and has reduced the redness.

While shaving this area this morning I really watched the pressure and angle. I found success in keeping the head of the razor on the skin and and pivoting the razor just enough to bring the blade so it was barley touching the hair enough to cut. This seemed to help prevent additional redness. In my mind, I'm thinking "keep the blade off the skin." I'm trying to just cut the hair.

I am happy to say that this morning was a 2 pass, cold water, DFS.

Mapping come into play at this point.

I don't think so. There are no pumps or anything like that. It's just redness on the skin. I'm thinking self induced stubble burn.

I'm going to TRY very hard to minimize pressure and use the shallowest angle possible in this area to see if it stays red after shaving.
Keep us posted.

Hey I wanted to throw another tip I just discovered, I feel dumb posting this, but let my lack of common sense, hopefully help someone. My neck has always been my sensitive and PITA shave area especially one side ( the right ). I primarily use a straight razor, and rotate between appx a dozen, but have my favorites I seem to use more often. It never occurred to me though religiously stropping, and occasionally refreshing on diamond or chromium oxide, that is appx .5 microns or, 30K grit..... That it was just not enough ! I recently slightly I call it honed 4 of my most used razors over 40-60 uses each and touched up the edge on a 12K Naniwa stone. Wow ! Simply Wow ! My neck now has zero irritation, no weepers, no irritation NOTHING ! I guess my point is use a sharp blade , in the DE world which I spent 24 years and still occasionally use my DE's ( I have a large collection, which is functional not behind a sealed case ), we which are the people with that sensitive neck area may benefit by daily blade changes or, a sharper blade. I am more in favor of the new blade though, as sharp blades can cause irritation on their own...... I'd stick with what works for you but use a new blade every time..... With a straight razor, a regular routine of stropping, scheduled refreshes and scheduled stone sharpening.... None of our techniques will trump a sharp blade. Hope that helps ! Shave on folks :) !

My latest discovery for better neck shaving is that I need aggressive razor i.e 39C or R41 with a sharp blade, currently am using Gillette Silver Blue. I will do a NW-SE pass on both sides of my neck i.e. non-symmetrical. This pass I have found to be closest to XTG I have found on my neck. I do short strokes, almost buffing. Two of these passes and I have irritation free DFS result. Not yet perfect BBS but the best result I have managed to get consistently so far.

ATG passes seem to drive the blade into skin and WTG passes don't cut enough. I tried five consequential WTG passes and the result was as good as with one WTG pass with much more irritation.

Summary:
-Aggressive razor, sharp blade
-Two identical XTG passes, no WTG nor ATG passes

Top Bottom