What's new

The myth of the longer lasting BBS

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
¿Por qué? I find easy ways of overstepping its safety and opening myself up to razor burn and weepers, sometimes with as little as getting lost in a daydream or letter the lather dry a little.

I’m still miles away from a quick enough shave with a barber razor and even further from one that’s quick enough and close enough. And forget overcoming the fear of attempting the same in the shower.

Agreed. The line between an awesome shave and an irritated shave is and can be razor thin, pun intended. :)

I find for myself personally, when I first started ole’ skool wet shaving, I looked for absolute concentration and zoning in on nothing but honing my technique in order to reach some mystical place of shaving nirvana.

After 12 years of shaving with everything from DE to Straights and skillfully applying a master shavers hand, at least to my face; I have come full circle and now look for my technique to be at the place where I can enjoy a mindless shave. :)

Getting a great shave, without thinking about it? Is that shaving nirvana?

I dunno?

¿Por qué? I find easy ways of overstepping its safety and opening myself up to razor burn and weepers, sometimes with as little as getting lost in a daydream or letter the lather dry a little.

I’m still miles away from a quick enough shave with a barber razor and even further from one that’s quick enough and close enough. And forget overcoming the fear of attempting the same in the shower.
Time always give better results

Agreed. The line between an awesome shave and an irritated shave is and can be razor thin, pun intended. :)

I find for myself personally, when I first started ole’ skool wet shaving, I looked for absolute concentration and zoning in on nothing but honing my technique in order to reach some mystical place of shaving nirvana.

After 12 years of shaving with everything from DE to Straights and skillfully applying a master shavers hand, at least to my face; I have come full circle and now look for my technique to be at the place where I can enjoy a mindless shave. :)

Getting a great shave, without thinking about it? Is that shaving nirvana?

I dunno?
Yes and then some

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
BBS is invariably the result of a three pass shave, but by the cocktail hour I feel the stubble. I have zero interest in attempting to shave any closer. That sounds like a formula for weepers and irritation. I never feel unkempt in the evening or feel the need to shave a second time to go out, perhaps a benefit of silvery whiskers.

BBS is invariably the result of a three pass shave, but by the cocktail hour I feel the stubble. I have zero interest in attempting to shave any closer. That sounds like a formula for weepers and irritation. I never feel unkempt in the evening or feel the need to shave a second time to go out, perhaps a benefit of silvery whiskers.
I’m in the same club silver whiskers

I think of the original post in this thread a wicked lot these days. Especially when people add pressure to light razors and “get away with it.”
I saw a YouTube video with a guy shaving with a different razor for each side of his face, when he was done he felt a different degree of stubble on each side. Fast forward after he applied balm both sides felt the same. Bottom line after shave balm covers and smooths just about everything

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
There’s that, too. I was thinking more along the lines of various manual, mechanical, and chemical means of exposing previously subcutaneous lengths of whisker to the cutting edge be it manual skin stretching, using a comb for skin stretching, using a cap or side of blade or moving one’s head to bunch up skin to expose the hair, and stuff like Lectric shave.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
There’s that, too. I was thinking more along the lines of various manual, mechanical, and chemical means of exposing previously subcutaneous lengths of whisker to the cutting edge be it manual skin stretching, using a comb for skin stretching, using a cap or side of blade or moving one’s head to bunch up skin to expose the hair, and stuff like Lectric shave.

I find myself pulling my skin as much with my Super Blue DE as I do with my R5 Shavette. When I was a newb a dozen years ago, I don’t remember ever doing that?

So I either picked it up when learning to shave with a straight? Or as I’m aging overtime and the skin on my face is sagging like the face on a Bloodhound?

Saggier face, but closer shaves? Oxymoron? :)

I find myself pulling my skin as much with my Super Blue DE as I do with my R5 Shavette. When I was a newb a dozen years ago, I don’t remember ever doing that?

So I either picked it up when learning to shave with a straight? Or as I’m aging overtime and the skin on my face is sagging like the face on a Bloodhound?

Saggier face, but closer shaves? Oxymoron? :)
We can’t out run Father Time, once we realize it not so bad, I agree shaving with a straight is easier now than when I was younger

I saw a YouTube video with a guy shaving with a different razor for each side of his face, when he was done he felt a different degree of stubble on each side. Fast forward after he applied balm both sides felt the same. Bottom line after shave balm covers and smooths just about everything
+1. Balms or lotions (including alcohol AS, which generally contains oils) re-hydrate the skin and cause it to "swell up" around the hair shaft, reducing or eliminating the stubble feel, even a not-so-close shave, for some time - generally about 6-12 hours. You can try it yourself immediately post-shave and after applying aftershave - not smooth/smooth. Like magic. ☺️ Making "closeness," sort of, irrelevant.

+1. Balms or lotions (including alcohol AS, which generally contains oils) re-hydrate the skin and cause it to "swell up" around the hair shaft, reducing or eliminating the stubble feel, even a not-so-close shave, for some time - generally about 6-12 hours. You can try it yourself immediately post-shave and after applying aftershave - not smooth/smooth. Like magic. ☺️ Making "closeness," sort of, irrelevant.
I do that same way just about every day

Top Bottom