What's new

The myth of the longer lasting BBS

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
:popc:

So...I have a number of razors in my rotation. Some are capable of giving a much closer shave than others. Wouldn't this then lend itself to not feeling stubble for a longer period of time? But you're saying that if you get a BBS...then you get a BBS and that's that. There can be no further dilineation between a BBS from razor A and a BBS from razor B...not even how long the feeling of smoothness lasts.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
:popc:

So...I have a number of razors in my rotation. Some are capable of giving a much closer shave than others. Wouldn't this then lend itself to not feeling stubble for a longer period of time? But you're saying that if you get a BBS...then you get a BBS and that's that. There can be no further dilineation between a BBS from razor A and a BBS from razor B...not even how long the feeling of smoothness lasts.
I think I'm saying that BBS duration is based on how much hair is removed, and your individual growth rate, and that it is possible to duplicate that time period with any razor or blade.
Whether or not additional effort is required is a different issue.
For some, additional effort may be required. For me personally, no additional effort is required and I get pretty consistent results regardless of razor or blade.

Well, my Muhle R41 is known to be aggressive, and it is, blade very exposed to skin. I use it very lightly or it shaves skin. And yes the soft pink baby face can last much longer if I use normal pressure and technique, in which case the post-shave hurts but there is little to shave 24 hours later.

My Merkur 15C open comb is a known mild razor, and it really is, blade can’t contact the skin. No matter how hard I scrape it leaves stubble (it cuts great through long hair though, no need for a clipper).

My Merkur 34c HD and matching Slant fall somewhere in between, like most other razors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, my Muhle R41 is known to be aggressive, and it is, blade very exposed to skin. I use it very lightly or it shaves skin. And yes the soft pink baby face can last much longer if I use normal pressure and technique, in which case the post-shave hurts but there is little to shave 24 hours later.

My Merkur 15C open comb is a known mild razor, and it really is, blade can’t contact the skin. No matter how hard I scrape it leaves stubble (it cuts great through long hair though, no need for a clipper).

My Merkur 34c HD and matching Slant fall somewhere in between, like most other razors.
If you look at the blade plane for the 15C (which I have not used at all) one can see that it does have a slightly negative blade exposure. However - that is presuming that the line shown as the shave plane is a hard finite surface.
So, the negative blade exposure wouldn't contact the surface if one were to run it across glass, however, the skin is flexible and can bulge and bend. This would "theoretically" make it possible to shave closer, depending on how much you were able to make the skin bulge toward the blade edge.
Not having ever used a 15C, I can't tell you how much skin bulging is possible, but I can say that if there is a razor produced which is not capable of allowing contact between the blade edge and the skin under any circumstances, I would suggest that the device is not actually a razor, but is a Trimmer.

15C-Cropped-wShavePlane.jpg

If you look at the blade plane for the 15C (which I have not used at all) one can see that it does have a slightly negative blade exposure. However - that is presuming that the line shown as the shave plane is a hard finite surface.
So, the negative blade exposure wouldn't contact the surface if one were to run it across glass, however, the skin is flexible and can bulge and bend. This would "theoretically" make it possible to shave closer, depending on how much you were able to make the skin bulge toward the blade edge.
Not having ever used a 15C, I can't tell you how much skin bulging is possible, but I can say that if there is a razor produced which is not capable of allowing contact between the blade edge and the skin under any circumstances, I would suggest that the device is not actually a razor, but is a Trimmer.

View attachment 1459926

Which razor shaves you better than anything else you've tried so far?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Which razor shaves you better than anything else you've tried so far?
As far as "favorites", there are very few that I am not as fond of as the others, but it's hard to make a choice.
I mean, I love the Superspeed in all of its different forms, but I can't really say that the Schick or Superspeed, or Old Type etc shaves "better" than any other, I think they just shave differently, if you know what I mean.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Suffice to say that, with my face, skin and beard, a 12 hour BBS ain't going to happen. Doesn't happen with a Barber using a Straight Razor. Doesn't happen with my best razors, blades, soaps, etc.

I shoot for DFS or better. If I get BBS - great!

I just refuse to agonize over it. ;)

Great thread, Phil. 👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I shoot for Jim's idea... Damn Comfortable Shave... seems to be more relaxing for me... I like the inner peace feeling that sometimes sweeps over me when I'm shaving.... that is my goal.. when everything comes together as one, cohesive unit.... one with the shave.

I'm a straight shaver exclusively and one factor for me is how the blade is finished--specifically if it's comfortable enough that I can go over the really stubborn spots enough to get as close as I want. Some edges, for instance some synths, or feather AC pros, anything more than 3 passes is going to make my face raw, especially if I'm doing cleanups. Others, well, I don't know how many passes I could do with them but it's more than I need to do. But those stubborn areas are stubborn regardless of how sharp the blade is and if I'm going for a true BBS I'm going to have to hit them until they're smooth.

The half-baked point of that is, for safety razor guys, I wonder if some blade and razor combos are more amenable to being able to buff, do cleanups, etc and if that may play a role in the perception of a shave lasting longer than with a different setup.

In short, I think that those who experience what they believe to be a longer lasting BBS shave are influenced by the incontrollable factors mentioned above, combined with cutting of the hair below the surface of the skin to some degree. Regardless of which razor or blade is used, the blade will cut the hair at the level that skin stretching and shaving aggressiveness permits, not by virtue of the particular razor or the blade used.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

So everyone is able to shave equally well with any razor blade combination?

With practice and technique, yes, I believe that to be true.
One may find preferences on a specific comfort level or one set up easier to use than another, but it's still possible.

I'm not sure about that, especially with the notion that anyone can get a great shave with any blade. For instance, some people like Derby Extra while most people hate them and amount of practice and technique is going to change that. The thing about razors is that they have a different effect as well. Some razors perform better when used with shallow or steep angle and everyone has a preference which one he finds better or likes more.

For instance, I have no problem shaving with razors that work better or only with shallow angle and the results are great, but I don't like the way I hold the razor and it feels forced and unpleasant while when I shave with a steep angle razor that requires me to just place the bar or comb on my face and just shave, I enjoy it a lot more and it feels more natural to me if that makes any sense.

We all have different faces, different types of stubble, different types of skins and there might be other factors as well and I just don't think that everyone can achieve the same result with the same razor and blade combo no matter how long he tries. Were just all different.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One may find preferences on a specific comfort level...

For instance, some people like Derby Extra while most people hate them and amount of practice and technique is going to change that.

One may find preferences on... one set up easier to use than another...

Some razors perform better when used with shallow or steep angle and everyone has a preference which one he finds better or likes more. For instance, I have no problem shaving with razors that work better or only with shallow angle and the results are great, but I don't like the way I hold the razor and it feels forced and unpleasant while when I shave with a steep angle razor that requires me to just place the bar or comb on my face and just shave, I enjoy it a lot more and it feels more natural to me if that makes any sense.

You just said the same thing I did.

You just said the same thing I did.

My point was about the idea that we can use the same razors and blades with the same results. With the razors that ''might'' be possible to some degree, but I just don't see how we can all like the same blades. Some folks like blades that I can't even use for a single pass let alone perform my 3-4 pass shave and this has nothing to do with skill or preference and more like something that works really well and something that doesn't work at all and for me that's like trying to wear my favorite shirt when I was 10 years old :D.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My point was about the idea that we can use the same razors and blades with the same results. With the razors that ''might'' be possible to some degree, but I just don't see how we can all like the same blades. Some folks like blades that I can't even use for a single pass let alone perform my 3-4 pass shave and this has nothing to do with skill or preference and more like something that works really well and something that doesn't work at all and for me that's like trying to wear my favorite shirt when I was 10 years old :D.

I didn't say you'd like every blade the same.
I specifically said there would be differences in comfort level with blades and ease of use with razors.
Because one blade is more comfortable than another, or because one razor is easier to use than another doesn't mean it isn't possible, it's just more comfortable or easier for some.

I didn't say you'd like every blade the same.
I specifically said there would be differences in comfort level with blades and ease of use with razors.
Because one blade is more comfortable than another, or because one razor is easier to use than another doesn't mean it isn't possible, it's just more comfortable or easier for some.

If the main goal is just to get a shave, then yes, I believe I can shave even with the worst blade and razor possible, but the results are going to be devastating to say the least and my face will look like I came straight from a warzone. It makes me wonder how did men shaved 300 + years ago when things were much more primitive and they didn't have access to great soaps and very sharp blades. They were probably able to remove most of with with scissors or something like that, but getting BBS or even DFS would have been a painful experience.

If the main goal is just to get a shave, then yes, I believe I can shave even with the worst blade and razor possible, but the results are going to be devastating to say the least and my face will look like I came straight from a warzone. It makes me wonder how did men shaved 300 + years ago when things were much more primitive and they didn't have access to great soaps and very sharp blades. They were probably able to remove most of with with scissors or something like that, but getting BBS or even DFS would have been a painful experience.
Maybe they went to the ladies beauty shop and got their face waxed.😳

Top Bottom