What's new

The Most Expensive Brush You Own?

I would love to say I had a Simpson or other premium brush, but so far my most expensive brush is an Omega Premium Jade 011842. My favorite brush so far.

If i may sir, buy Yaqis at a fraction of the cost from Aliexpress. They have sales often. The biggest and certain sale is on 11/11 every year.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I would love to say I had a Simpson or other premium brush, but so far my most expensive brush is an Omega Premium Jade 011842. My favorite brush so far.
I used inexpensive boars for over 30 years, only discovering badgers in 2010. I often regret having bought my first badger, because I've gone deep down that hole. I oftimes wish I had discovered a boar like yours or a Zenith in 2010 and never got involved with badgers at all. In fact I sometimes think about selling all my badgers and settling down with 3 or 4 good boars.

Contentment is wealth.

Last edited:
You have excellent taste (and a happier wallet) with your Omega Premium Jade Boar. An excellent brush with performance (although with a different feeling) on par with brushes costing exponentially more. I only recently started my “Badger hunting” and have 2 (for me) expensive Badger Brushes. Both bought to commemorate special occasions and both will never leave my den. All of my other brushes Badger, Boar, and Synthetic are reasonably priced (or close to it). Enjoy your Jade Boar for years to come.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Captain's Choice Tuxedo synthetic. I tend not to pay too much for brushes. All of my other brushes are $30 less or more than the Captain's Choice brush.

1619453683293.png

I bought my Simpson 57 new for half of MSRP and it was still the most cash I've ever laid out for a brush.

The cheapest brush in terms of cost per shave is probably my Edwin Jagger medium best badger. My only brush for years, though it cost me $40 ten years ago.

The most expensive brush per shave, to date, is my brass travel brush I bought the same day as the 57. Fifty bucks and I've lathered it twice. Nice brush. Just need more occasions to use it.

Those Heritage Edition's are really nice. So far I've resisted buying one, but have been sorely tempted by more than a few..
I've been holding out for a Dubl Duck. This one is a West Coast Shaving version, which is more expensive than you can get it direct from Heritage. I couldn't resist, though, as this one is very similar to the color I use for my website and my YouTube channel. West Coast Shaving still has some in stock if you want an unofficial Shaving Disciple brush...

If i may sir, buy Yaqis at a fraction of the cost from Aliexpress. They have sales often. The biggest and certain sale is on 11/11 every year.
I have looked at the Yakis, but really don't like any of the handles. Though I do not care for the fake ivory handles of most Simpson brushes, there are some beautiful green and blue handles. I really wanted to like the Yakis, but I know that if I don't like the handle, I won't use the brush.

I do think you make a nice distinction between "most costly" and "favourite" or "works best for us" brush, the thater means the most to me, but it is my no means the one I reach for most.
Indeed,. I adored the look of the Omega Premium Jade and did lots of research before investing in it, and has proven to be worth that investment. Though I wish the loft was 10mm more, I still use it more than my other brushes. Likewise, I love the look of a select few Simpsons, I can not justify the cost.

Embarrassed to say my most expensive brush is a Art of Shaving Badger (mistake) purchased as a newbie after finding the cheap Van Der Hagen boar (unbroken in) to be too stiff and "scritchy." I wandered into a mall AoS with the wife and bent to the pressure (she just wanted to feel better for the shoe purchase earlier). I used it pretty regularly (tired w/the floppiness), then it lost a big (1/8") chunk of the knot in the center and I've used it only a few times since. I'll reach for any of the other 8 vintage original knot Ever Ready boar / mixed boar/badger or Fuller brushes (I doubt that added together they cost more than the AoS), or the now broken in and softening/splaying Van Der Hagen Boar before the AoS badger that I find fragile and too floppy. Bring on the scritch!

Top Bottom