What's new

The most efficient and comfortable razor you have tried?

So far I have been trying for this forum a small numbers of razors: only 9 razors. Many (probably most) have tried more than me.

What I have been noticing is that some razors are more efficient than other. Some razors will tugg if you skip shaving a week. Other requires more passes as the reduction happens slower. Then some manage to be smooth even though they remove a week of beard in just two passes. This is all because of different blade angle and blade exposure and gap between them.

What is the most efficent and comfortable razor you have used for getting a DFS?

R41 (2013) is the most efficient razor I have tried in that you get a DFS in one pass. But it is also a razor that is tugging a bit, so that is why I will not rank it highest.

Highest up on my list of razors is Merkur 15C. 2 passes needed for DFS
At second place Gillette NEW LC (Brittish) comes. 2 passes needed with some touch-up for DFS

Not surprisingly to many here, my 1959 Gillette Fat Boy razor would fit that description easily. And to many, it may surprise them that my iKon Shave Craft razor also is both efficient and comfortable. I bought the iKon from another member here and I have been pleased from day 1 with that razor. I thought that iKon was a gimmick razor or a fan boy phenom but, I love it.

Frank

Hands down IMHO, a vintage Stahly from the 50's ranks at the top. I recently tested it against the Merkur Progress and found the difference amazing, even with the Progress at it's mildest setting. The sound is completely different. The Merkur (using Feather blades) pulls and is irritating to use. On the other hand, the Stahly glides across the beard. I get a better shave with a used Feather blade in the Stahly than a new blade in the Merkur. I intend to run the comparison again this week using Wilkinson blades.

7 o clock
I've been using it ever since I got it. $010.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but my Gillette red tip slices through multi-day growth like nobody's business. Dfs in two quick passes and not a nick or weeper in sight.

Recently my favorites are:
Weber PH
Gillette New SC (LC is great too)
Ikon Slant
Gillette Tech (triangle slot)
Stahly (Griest handle)
Fatboy

I find these all to be pretty efficient while still being smooth and easy to use. I've also been using a Feather AS-D2 quite a bit lately, but it's not what I would call efficient. I need 4 passes to get a good shave and it's still not as close as with 3 passes using the Weber, but it's very consistent and seems to pretty much eliminate any chance of ingrowns.

I may be in the minority here, but my Gillette red tip slices through multi-day growth like nobody's business. Dfs in two quick passes and not a nick or weeper in sight.

You are not alone, I also enjoy using my red tip for the same reasons you have mentioned. As from the OP's question, I am still looking for the one, but the red tip ranks high in efficiency and comfortability.

My current razor collection:

• 1934 Gillette Aristocrat
  • Late '40s Gillette Tech (gold)
  • D4 Gillette Fatboy
  • E1 Gillette Super Speed
  • L2 Gillette Slim Adjustable
  • L2 Gillette Travel Tech
  • Merkur 38C
  • Merkur 39C
  • Edwin Jagger DE89BL
After experimenting with all the usual blade options, I've settled on Feathers. My favorite razor has been a bit of a moving target (sometimes the Slim, sometimes the EJ), but lately I love the smooth and consistent performance of...

...wait for it...

...the Super Speed.

My beard is thick and tough, but the SS/Feather combination mows down even two or three day's growth with ease and comfort. Love that razor!!

Ken

Merkur Vision opened all the way is awesome, especially when using a sharp blade. I have an Ikon Open Comb Deluxe and an Ikon SB on order which I am excited about trying.

Top Bottom