What's new

The money or the Honey

Question:

If you were looking for a job and were offered a role that is very stressful and intense, but is paying more that twice what you are being paid now, would you take it?

I am currently in this position. I have a couple more interviews lined up, but no other role I am chasing have made a firm offer, nor are they offering such a significant sum of money.

So, will I take the job I don't want because they got in first with a significant offer, or keep plugging away until I get a job I feel I can perform with motivation?

Opinions?

Question:

If you were looking for a job and were offered a role that is very stressful and intense, but is paying more that twice what you are being paid now, would you take it?

I am currently in this position. I have a couple more interviews lined up, but no other role I am chasing have made a firm offer, nor are they offering such a significant sum of money.

So, will I take the job I don't want because they got in first with a significant offer, or keep plugging away until I get a job I feel I can perform with motivation?

Opinions?

So where does that honey come in? And do you have pics of her?:tongue_sm

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You have to balance your own financial situation knowledge with your expectations of happiness here.
Ideally, it is great to have the dream job that renumerates you but that you also love to do.
The facts however indicate that many people trod along in a job they don't really care for due to financial considerations.
If you can afford to search out that dream job, or at least one nearer to it, are you so financially strapped that you need to take a job you don't like?
Conversely, if you need that amount of money to live as you expect to, how can you survive doing a job that you like, but which doesn't pay?
Tough call, but only you know for sure.

Take the job, if the finance aspect is important to you.

Unfortunately, in the new world of 10% unemployment, jobs that offer "work life" balances are going to be among the first to be terminated, since employers who see that employees aren't working 100 hours a week are expendable.

If the job is stressful, it probably has more responsibility, can probably gain your more skills and move you further along your career path. Stick with it for awhile just to move yourself into a better salary range so when a better opportunity comes along (like in 2034) you'll have the skills to do it and the salary to get what you're looking forl

Jeff in Boston

Take the money, clean up any debts, save for what you want then take another look at the situation. Besides in my expierence, money always brought honey.

There is no right answer to this question. It completely depends on your values and situation.

I walked away from a dream salary--in an industry I decided I could no longer ethically support--in search of something more personally rewarding. Given where I am now and today's job market, if I could go back in time I would smack myself upside the head.

Fortunately, 'never look back' is another one of my beliefs.

if you need the money take the job, if you do not need the money but would like the money take the job and keep looking for a job you would enjoy. just because you are employed does not mean you can not keep an eye out for a job you would like more, a lot of my friends do this to have an income while they look for a job more fitting to them.

if you do not need that level of income and want to keep the stress levels down avoid the job and pursue other options for the time being.

Question:

Stressful and intense, yes. But will this job be rewarding on some level past a paycheck? Or is this a "get in, get out, get paid" type job.

It all depends on what is important to you.

Years ago I took a job that paid well but was very stressful and required a lot of travel. As a result, it took its toll on my family since I was away so much I missed out on a lot of things my children did.

Would I do the same thing today?

I honestly can't say.

This is a decision that you will ultimately have to make on your own. A couple of things to consider, though - what will the increased salary provide for you? A new house, new car, new shaving gear?? What impact will the new position have on your life? Will you have a longer commute? No guarantee of salary - 100% commission? Will you travel? Do you have a wife / children?

How do the two sides compare?

I'm not sure what makes the position stressful and intense, but is that just because it is new and different? I've been in a lot of situations where success wasn't guaranteed and failure was possible. Those were the situations in which I developed the most skills and gained the most knowledge.

You asked "the money or the honey?"

One thing I do know - 100% certain, in fact - don't get your honey where you get your money.

Last edited:
Im working a job in an industry that I never imagined I would even consider. I travel every single week, but to the same place, motel, etc. The money is great and I work my *** off.

However, I have no children, or wife.

In my experience, since finishing school in this down economy you take what you can get.

Stress goes with money, money goes with stress. Not always true, but pretty much true.

The question I'd ask myself would be whether this might pay a lot but lead to a career dead end? Is this a part of your field (industry) that is growing, or does it just pay well?

This is a very personal decision and you have been given some great opinions but ultimately this will be up to you.

I have come to the point where I would like more time and am willing to take less money to have it.

It all depends on what you value and where you are at in your life.

Good luck!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Take the money. Think how silly you'll feel when you discover the job that pays less is just as bad.

Take the money. Think how silly you'll feel when you discover the job that pays less is just as bad.

Thats been my theory, I'm just procrastinating, hoping for something else that probably doesn't exist.

To clarify, I have just finished university, buy a house and marry my girlfriend, so I could use the money! :lol:

My main consideration was my future wife - for the past two years I have been working 50+ hours a week and completing around 20 hours of uni per week - as I promised her she would come first. She is supportive of me chasing this job, I just don't want to be put in a situation where I wouldn't see her that much.

At any rate, I'm sure if the jobs not for me, I can always get fired or quit...:001_rolle

Pass on the job.You don't want it and it will show.Your coworkers will pick up on this and will become upset and maybe unpleasant because they have to work with you.There's no reason to make everyone you will work with miserable.If you have a change of attitude towards the job then by all means take it. Double the pay doesn't come along everyday.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thats been my theory, I'm just procrastinating, hoping for something else that probably doesn't exist.

To clarify, I have just finished university, buy a house and marry my girlfriend, so I could use the money! :lol:

My main consideration was my future wife - for the past two years I have been working 50+ hours a week and completing around 20 hours of uni per week - as I promised her she would come first. She is supportive of me chasing this job, I just don't want to be put in a situation where I wouldn't see her that much.

At any rate, I'm sure if the jobs not for me, I can always get fired or quit...:001_rolle

Ah, that clears things up. I'll have to revise my advice:

It doesn't matter what course of action you choose. Your honey will take all of your money no matter what you do. :001_rolle

Top Bottom