What's new

The Moment You Realized....

After being on B&B for less than a week and had 500 DE blades in the postal system on the way to me was the start.

I had to face it after I completed my shave cathedral

proxy.php

I love it! I would want to step back and look out that window too much, what a view! Or do you have a mirror on the back of the door that reflects the view back to you? Great shaving place!

I never came into this to save money. For me, it was just wanting to have a decent shave that did not lead to razor bumps, razor rash, and ingrown hairs.

Once good shaves became my reality, it was only natural to acquire what I could afford. We are currently in a new golden era of shaving where software and hardware is readily available for all skin types, razor preferences (straight, DE, SE), brushes (Badger,Boar, Synth), soaps, croaps, creams etc,etc.

I may not be able to afford everything, but I do like what I have. If I don't like it, I give it to one of my converts.

marty

More or less this for me, too.

Have you taken a photo of her shoes (or purses or makeup) or whatever it is? I suggest that you fight fire with fire Sir!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid I have no ammo, no matches. She put the capital F in Frugal. Makes her own yogurt, soaps, mead, herbal beer.....sews most of her clothes, knits....well, you get the idea. She's been this way for the 47 years we've been married. BTW, the mead she makes is nectar from the gods.

I love it! I would want to step back and look out that window too much, what a view! Or do you have a mirror on the back of the door that reflects the view back to you? Great shaving place!

Back is where the stropps are and the razor and brush cabinet... oh and.... the AS shelf

proxy.php

proxy.php

What was the moment, or the purchase, that made you realize you'd moved from wanting to save a few bucks or get a better shave...to full on obsession or maybe mild addiction to shaving? Was it joining this forum? Buying a stainless razor? Acquiring a really nice brush, or three? Maybe it was paying $18 for a puck of soap? Was it self discovery, or did a loved one suggest an intervention? Perhaps the realization you have more razors than days in the week? What was your moment? :)

It was the quest for the better shave. I don't know if that will ever really end, but a pleasant experiment may mean that it might. I can't bring myself to spring for anything really expensive, but that doesn't protect me from RAD.

Sometime after I first started following B&B's forums, Joel was doing a set of articles on the world of fragrances. The products he was speaking of, those which others here joined in about were much like the top flight razors we see as well: one, two, three hundred dollars a razor, like that for a brush, and then the same for 200ml of perfume. I could not imagine the mental equivalent to ever see purchasing any of these things at the time and wrote such in the posts I had joining the discussion.

Then I broke down and bought something which was way over what I'd thought was fair and reasonable to that point; I think it was one of the Merkur Vision 2000 razors. (I know, small potatoes now days and gawds what a rabbit hole the first stumble leads into.)

Looking back today I'd have to say I've likely burned (</coughs: "invested") the earnings I made in my 401k account during the past year. I know a hell of a lot more, no longer am I settling for 'good enough.'

I literally have a couple of razors which are as good as I've ever used and that means it's possibly only able to improve fractions of a tenth of a percentile from here in performance -ever- above the equipment I have.

I've many brush which have served to inform me of the nature of variation possible when considering a new build or offering; no matter what the price, be it a home build from parts on the cheap to those within 10 % of the best ever made. Where it may no longer matter what the brush is intrinsically but becomes valued just on the fact it was made to commemorate a certain event on a given date for a special human being of some questionable value to 99.999% of all the human beings who will ever live!

I have enough experience with a selection of soaps which do (to varying degree) the job of lathering that I know what I like, I know what works - for me - and I have opportunity to try others and those I have in preparation cited by other people to their specification so I can see if what they're on about is something new or something 'better' than I've done it to now. It's to point where a new offering comes up and I'm interested in it because it's packaged differently than anything else I've tried, and it's from a vendor I've never tried, and I'll just "splurge" on it... because I can.

It's now like this in every aspect of the shaving venue for me today. Nothing is because it can provide me a good enough shave to be just equal or better than my old electric or original last greatest offering from Gillette cartridge laboratories.

That's not only as sign of "The Moment I realized..." it's also a very telling result of said realization.

What's to do and become of it after all... well, that's the next part of the journey along the path.

WOW...lol people are addicted. I kinda wish I could buy all the stuff you guys do, but if I did I'd have a heck of a time with my work. Generally I keep 2 DE razors, quite a few blades and some long lasting soaps generally 1-2 soaps etc. Bare essentials really, I move every year or so nowa day's so...best to keep light despite I WISH I could try all this cool stuff. I do a bit but nothing that builds up.

@Silent Bear seriously the "try it all" path is a very challenging experience fraught with peril. Many times the idea that 'I'm not With Stupid - I AM Stupid' will confront you and there will be no recourse for it. Best thing you can have are commitments and the resolution of a middle aged adult - before the "oh, He'll buy anything they talk about on TV... or... on a website filled with other enablers" :) Hint: DON'T look at the pretty pictures! (Seriously!)

I'd probably have more but I live out of a duffel bag and a bug out ruck, and in that case word to the wise...stay light. I do have some good gear though just I gotta be select as I don't have any where else to put stuff like a storage, meh comes with my working over seas for a contractor part of the game. In about a week I might hit Thailand for a few day's for a break, think I might hit Nong Thale and stay at the Amari Vogue Krabi hotel...did that last year was awesome.

I only have a Google Earth/Search (images) view of the areas you'll visit in Thailand. Looks lovely and the coast reminds me of other areas nearby. Ya, go bags and duffels can focus priorities damn quick; especially when the 'must haves' are part of the weight allocation.

I can't say I ever went into DE with the specific intent to save money but it was when I started to acquire >$25 creams & soaps or >$70 razors & brushes realized this hobby needed to be something that got its own line item in the budget and not just included "other"

Don’t really have a lot of money in my shave gear. But I forget it’s an obsession, as it is part of my daily routine. But was reminded today, while packing for a summer vacation. Wife caught me packing my dopp, which is actually a small craftsman tool bag. I had bubble wrap, and was bubble wrapping my precious Avon island lime. Was trying to figure out how to pack 4 aftershave scents. Then got the eye roll. She supports my obsession and loves my scents. But not afraid to bring me back to reality. So I only packed my Fine American blend, trac II deluxe and my travel can of barbasol. Obsession? Yes, please.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Five months into 2018, and my total shaving expenditure this year was £17 on a razor and postage, and £15 on soap and postage. £32 total. I didn't need to buy the razor, but it was a birth quarter, so I grabbed it. I did need to buy soap though, as all I had left was a couple of Palmolive stick for travel and emergencies. Unless the soap I've ordered doesn't work for me, and I need to buy something else, I am unlikely to buy anything else for shaving or grooming this year.

It's possible that my brush might need replacing next year. I won't needs razors or blades, but I might need another soap at some point. I've plenty of balm and EdT, so my expenditure in 2109 should be under £20.

You don't have to enjoy shopping to enjoy shaving :D

Top Bottom