What's new

The Moment You Realized....

I’m a minimalist so this isn’t an issue for me but I have noticed this forum has shifted far away from the original theme of saving money to “How much stuff I have”.

Saving money is not my goal. My goal is a better more enjoyable shave. The hobby aspect came later and just adds another element of fun to the equation.

Hearing my late wife say “wow” and feeling her hand as she stroked my face right after my switch from an electric is worth more to me than all of the shaving money I can spend for the rest of my life.

For me the moment I stopped using an electric and cartridges is when the enjoyment and hobby aspect began. Once you have more than a cartridge and a can of shaving foam it's easy for it to become a hobby of sorts.

There's stuff to buy, stuff to learn about, skills to acquire, towel pantries to fill up...

It was never really about saving money for me. It might have been about redirecting money to more enjoyable pursuits but I was never really spending a lot on shaving in the first place.

Electrics are cheap and the cartridges I was using were Trac II.

The nice smelling soap/creme part to the hobby came to me last. I still haven't gotten into brushes more than just a basic boar brush. I don't have more than two DE razors. I have about 7 straight razors some small hones and a variety of soaps/creams.

Last edited:
When I switched to DE shaving to save money but bought ten soaps. I'll have saved money when I 3017 all my soaps. 8 and 1/4 soaps to go.

When I bought this collection I found on Craigslist so I could keep a couple I wanted to try.
3B9F3924-F3BE-4E38-9908-F0B88E4CBC41.jpeg

I managed to sell most of it and pay for part of my 30th Anniversary vacation to New York.

Honestly I was hooked before I even tried it. I researched it for a couple months & learned a ton on here as a lurker & watching youtube vids. In a weird way I was already having the AD's kicking in before I even tried it. Then I got my first setup at Christmas 2016. The rest is history........

My DE shaving started in 1966 with a Tech. But back when, cheap blades and cheap soap were part of the deal. Blue Blades and Colgate soap....

It was when I started spending close to twenty bucks for a soap puck that I realized I'd fallen down the rabbit hole.

No regrets!

I was delusional for about 2 months. I assumed everything would be the same, it would just be cheaper. I never used any shave soap, cream, or as. I slapped in an expensive gillette cart and just went to town with aggression. One pass ATG, touch up, and then I would repeat the process a week later uncomfortably. After about 8 shaves, I realized everything would not be the same. I realized the shave quality would dramatically improve. I wondered what would happen with a more aggressive razor. Two months after wondering about DE shaving, I shaved with an R41 and maca root. I have thrown $760 into this rabbit hole, recouped $482, and saved $140 from avoiding expensive gillette carts. Right now I am still pretty far from saving money as I am close to $1 per shave, but am I glad I switched. It is now a hobby with enjoyment instead of a chore. I am glad that I tripped into this rabbit hole, despite my initial motivation being different than how I see it now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A few weeks ago, while I was outside doing yard work, my wife decided to organize a little used linen closet. (3 grown children out on their own) However, that linen closet was where I stored my "extra stuff". Mainly a shoebox with 100s of blades and most of my creams, soaps, aftershaves, spare brushes, etc. So......I come in the house and spread out on the kitchen table was ALL my hardware & software. She took a pic of it and slapped it on the PC display as a background. Says it's a reminder that if I'm even tempted to order anything until this stuff is used up, just to stare at the screen and come to my senses. She may be right, but there's this corner in my basment that...........OUCH! Thanks a lot for letting her sneak up on me fellas!View attachment 884848 View attachment 884849
We have the same wife. Lol.

Saving money was my goal. It was quickly supplanted by a real interest in the history of the Wet shave. Then, with the wet shave, there's the health aspect.

I look back at all the electric razors I acquired over the years. About the same amount of money, but not nearly as beneficial from a health standpoint.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I’m a minimalist so this isn’t an issue for me but I have noticed this forum has shifted far away from the original theme of saving money to “How much stuff I have”.
For many, it's only when we lay out all our stuff and actually realize how much we have (and calculate how long it will take to use it up!) that it actually hits home that we have gone astray from the "Wet shaving will save money" reason.

I discovered when I bought 6 vintage DE’s in a month. But I honestly don’t care, it gives my life color. Holding a 60-80 year old immaculate shaving tool is just too awesome. And in this age of throw-stuff-away-and-buy-new this hobby is the perfect antidote.

Can you explain?

Sure.:) (Off the top of my head and alittle hlep form the web).

With wet shaving and using a single DE blade, you exfoliate the skin. he process also hydrates the skin.

You get rid of dead skin cells allowing new cells to flourish.

Popping in a new blade often is much more sanitary than using the same blade in a cart over and over. It's even miles ahead of an electric razor where you're using the same cutting blades for months..:)

Using an alum bar as part of the wet shave process helps further the process. It's a natural astringent and antiseptic. An alum block helps to cleanse and tighten the skin and close the pores, which helps to prevent razor burn and alleviate irritation.

I wish I had stuck with wet shaivng when I was a younger man. I doubt I'd have suffered some of the blemish and skin problems. An alum bar alone helps tone the skin and heal blemishes.:) The wet shave, each day, would've certainly help to turn over those dead skin cells much more effectively than an electric razor, IMHO.:)

In short, it's a cleaner process.:) Therefore, healthier.:)

At least, this is my thinking. If you google the topic, you'll get many more reasons.:)

For me, it was probably about a month in, when I discovered all the different choices in razors, blades, brushes and soaps. When there started to be Amazon packages coming to the house almost every day, I knew it had turned into a hobby.

Top Bottom