What's new

The MMA Thread

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If anyone can find a way to leverage out of being stripped of a title despite not doing anything to retain it, it's going to be Connor.

If I had "Mayweather-fight-money" sitting in my bank account, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to step into any sort of combat arena and let my noggin take a whole whack more of concussion-risking, CTE-inducing head strikes.

(But if all you are going to do is cut bait ... that's fine, let someone else hold the fishing rod.)

I don't see Cain being a factor in the UFC any longer. He could have been an all time great if it weren't for injury and that stumble in JDS I. But now, I think his window has closed. Stipe will be too agile and quick for him today.

If Conor can get fights versus Pacquio and maybe another blue chip fighter. He may be gone for boxing. Lose 2 or 3 more, make another 100 million and retire.

I think Cain's still got something left, or at least I hope so. I didn't understand his stance on elevation in that Werdum fight. Cain has always been all about preparation, and listening to him dismiss the issue in the lead up was like listening to a complete stranger.

What are your thoughts on Fedor/Mir? I like both a lot. Both are chinny nowadays. I did not think that Mir could submit Big Nog, but he did, and in a sequence that started with him getting 90% KO'd. Fedor still has power and quickness, even if it's been diminished. I think he is too aggressive and reckless in attacking considering his lessened ability to take a shot. Mir looked heavy, and not in a positive way. I guess it's good that there will be time between bouts, because he didn't look ready to fight. In the end, I don't particularly want either to lose, but I want Fedor to lose slightly less than Mir.

haven't posted in a long time, good to see this thread going. We started proceedings on our new house in Dec, and we've been busy with all that, so long story short, yeah we got our first house. Just moved in a few weeks ago and been busy unpacking.

I did manage to watch the HW fight between Stipe vs Ngannou. What an embarrassing outing for Ngannou, how do show up for a title fight with gas for a 1/4 mile drag race. I was rooting for Stipe anyway. Glad to see someone break the record at HW. I felt there was an underlying sense of entitlement with francis, while i watched him get interviewed throughout the embedded videos. He seemed very dismissive of Stipe, and just thought he was gonna KO him in the first.

DC was a straight up beast mauling volkan. As most of you have seen my posts, i've never been much of a DC fan, but i dont know where he goes from here. There's really the just Gus rematch left for him. (DC's backstage comments to volkan are starting win me over, that was so classy of him to say)

about this conor situation, defend or vacate. i hope they strip him anyway. you got the interim champ defending... all because the current champ doesn't want to, all while he's healthy to fight. I don't think this had ever happened before.

"Sea level" Cain was a force to be reckoned with, but i don't know about now. Seems like a small wind in his direction gets him injured.

He may have something left, but no way he's gonna be back to how he was before the werdum loss. I always liked watching him fight.

i agree with Tim here, if he had anything left, it would have showed in the werdum fight

If Mir beats Fedor, he'd have beat the three best HW Pride fighters, Nog, Cro Cop and Fedor. Sure, not in their prime but still

If Mir beats Fedor, he'd have beat the three best HW Pride fighters, Nog, Cro Cop and Fedor. Sure, not in their prime but still

Nog was still very good when Mir beat him. He probably wasn't at his peak, but he was still a bad dude especially with the first fight. The second fight Nog was definitely in decline but submitting that man at any point in his career deserves kudos. Obviously doping issues have haunted Mir, but against Pride fighters, I don't know how relevant that is with the way Pride was run.

Congrats on the house!!

Well, that didn't last long. DC is fighting Stipe for the HW title in July. They are going to be coaches on TUF as well.

I think it's a smart fight for the UFC. Not much was viable for DC at 205. Gus rematch, that's all I can think of at the moment. Now let's all hope they both stay healthy. If DC wins, think he'll stay at HW?

That's a good question. He's done really well at HW in the past, and LHW is sort of a dry well right now(HW isn't much better), so it's possible. If he can beat Stipe then he can beat pretty much any HW alive right now. He's getting older too, so HW might be better for him since he won't have to cut weight. He said he is retiring at 40(I think it was 40), so that only leaves a year or two left for him. He might be able to run with it until then.

Guess that means cain is either not coming back or is likely injured again. DC was very vocal at the post fight presser that he wouldn't go to HW because of Cain coming back later this year.

He's probably the only guy that can probably beat Stipe right now. He has the experience over Stipe, but he also has more wear and tear. Sound be a good scrap

Guess that means cain is either not coming back or is likely injured again. DC was very vocal at the post fight presser that he wouldn't go to HW because of Cain coming back later this year.

He's probably the only guy that can probably beat Stipe right now. He has the experience over Stipe, but he also has more wear and tear. Sound be a good scrap

I was thinking the same thing. I feel that if Cain was ready to compete for the title, DC wouldn't get involved. They certainly don't seem like an early Chuck/Tito thing, those two seem like genuinely really close friends.

DC is a tough match for Stipe. He's a better wrestler and he's quick as well. I feel that Stipe has dominated HW lately a lot because of speed. He's not a huge HW by any means and he's fast, good footwork with a good gas tank. Different style but some of the same tools Cain had in his prime. Makes me wonder if the era of the 285 pound guy cutting to 265 is over. If so, I wonder if the UFC will add a super HW division for those huge guys, mainly trying to showcase powerpunching and big KOs. I doubt they'd do this, but with the WWE mentality gaining momentum it's something that they may consider.

I'm guessing he stays at HW until cain returns. Although, i saw a tweet from Cain that someone posted on sherdog saying if DC wins, things would get interesting. Maybe he's willing to fight him? I don't know. But was a rather cryptic message from Cain

Man, UFC 223 is shaping up pretty nicely. Got Ferguson vs. Khabib, Rose vs. Joanna, Paul Felder vs. Raging Al, Felice Herrig vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz, and Joe Lauzon vs. Chris Greutzemacher. All of the fights so far have at least one person I like a lot, and all are pretty interesting. Looking forward to seeing who else gets added.

Dear Lord, that Shevchanko fight was a brutal display. A lot of props to the challenger, but that was a bad mismatch. When Valentina started landing that GnP it reminded me of Tito in his heyday just smashing dudes who had no idea of how to defend or escape.

Dear Lord, that Shevchanko fight was a brutal display. A lot of props to the challenger, but that was a bad mismatch. When Valentina started landing that GnP it reminded me of Tito in his heyday just smashing dudes who had no idea of how to defend or escape.
Another example of needing ref accountability. That was deplorable.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah, i don't think that woman belonged in that cage, apparently she was a drug addict just over a year ago. Seems that division is gonna be shallow.

Machida barely edged that with the leg kicks...glad he won, but damn he didn't look good at all.

I read on the'dog that Edgar and Ortega was gonna be on. Not sure it's true, but even if it was, i see Frankie busting him up on the feet for a TKO finish. Ortega isn't on Frankies level strikewise, and he's not gonna outwrestle Frankie either.

That would be a great fight, though. Frankie is one of the gutsiest guys I've ever seen in the cage, but Ortega is no slouch in that department either. Frankie is a dervish. Ortega's submissions are pretty incredible and his hands aren't bad. His reach advantage would also make up some ground. I think that Frankie would probably win, but only if he played his cards really smart. He may also want to leave his neck back in the locker room, since Ortega has a gift for snatching them. Both guys have been class acts, so I don't want either to lose...but I'd love to see them fight.

Top Bottom