What's new

The MMA Thread

I think they will put Diaz in against BJ Penn.

Frankly after that youtube video he posted, I think they should cut him. Let him go be a boxer.

I thought the video was just bizarre! It certainly didn't help his case, in any way shape or form. Why would he ditch his trainers, managers and team mates? The whole thing is just strange.

I was really looking forward to GSP completely tooling Nick through 5 rounds of domination. After as the hubbub has been aired, how can Diaz not be cut from the promotion? The Diaz brothers need to lay of the ganga. And while I am happy for the opportunity presented to Condit, I would prefer that he have the opportunity for a full camp dedicated to GSP.

This whole thing smells bad. It's like WWE, not UFC. Maybe the Stockton guys will take Dana prisoner and try to replace him with Scott Coker. Randy will have to come out of retirement and put together a team of vets to rescue him. Is the kind of buzz that the top promotion needs after signing a deal with Fox? Maybe.

Looks like they're building up to Nick v. Karo II!

Ugh, no interest in this whatsoever!!

I think they will put Diaz in against BJ Penn.

Frankly after that youtube video he posted, I think they should cut him. Let him go be a boxer.

Yup, saw that coming...

Penn vs Diaz is official

Surprise!

This whole thing smells bad. It's like WWE, not UFC. Maybe the Stockton guys will take Dana prisoner and try to replace him with Scott Coker. Randy will have to come out of retirement and put together a team of vets to rescue him. Is the kind of buzz that the top promotion needs after signing a deal with Fox? Maybe.

LOL, I agree. I don't like it. They need to keep that kind of crap far away from the UFC.

That's hysterical. The whole thing seems like a farce. Almost like Dana never planned to go through with the fight in the first place.

That said, I think Penn takes it.

Agreed. I think that this is the kind of fight that will get Penn going. Although this is probably not a widely-shared feeling, BJ is just about my favorite currently active US fighter and I always find it disappointing that he loses fights that he ought to win. If ever there was a case for having a manager make the decisions for a fighter, it's BJ. He doesn't train enough and there's always something weird going on in his headspace. I think that his recent losses, especially to Edgar and Fitch, have far less to do with their talents than with his mental and physical preparation (which are related--even when he came in with a really surprising strategy against Fitch, he ran out of steam). With better training and coaching, I think he could have even done a lot better against GSP (although I think he would have still lost--just not as badly). I think that Diaz probably imagines himself to be his generation's version of BJ (except far less talented and an even bigger pain in the backside) and they should clash nicely. I think that BJ takes him out on his feet, but it would be a neat fight on the ground too.

That's hysterical. The whole thing seems like a farce. Almost like Dana never planned to go through with the fight in the first place.

Agreed, I can't stand BJ, but he's the better fighter. I hate Diaz more though so I'll be rooting for BJ in this one.

Funny Cesar Gracie quote about the whole Diaz/GSP/Condit/Penn/Dana debacle:

“He wants to fight GSP. He wants to beat that guy up. But BJ Penn is a different story, I think he has more respect for BJ. He isn’t a juice head and he actually tries technique in a fight. Georges St. Pierre is the bigger fighter, but [Penn] is the better fighter.”

Always keeping it classy--I love those guys!

Anyway, I'm much more interested in watching Penn-Diaz now. I'm not a GSP hater and I think that his fights are always watchable. But it's like having an outstanding vanilla shake. As awesome a shake as it might be, it's still vanilla. I think that the fans will get more bang for the buck from Nick and BJ.

Agreed. I think that this is the kind of fight that will get Penn going. Although this is probably not a widely-shared feeling, BJ is just about my favorite currently active US fighter and I always find it disappointing that he loses fights that he ought to win. If ever there was a case for having a manager make the decisions for a fighter, it's BJ. He doesn't train enough and there's always something weird going on in his headspace. I think that his recent losses, especially to Edgar and Fitch, have far less to do with their talents than with his mental and physical preparation (which are related--even when he came in with a really surprising strategy against Fitch, he ran out of steam). With better training and coaching, I think he could have even done a lot better against GSP (although I think he would have still lost--just not as badly). I think that Diaz probably imagines himself to be his generation's version of BJ (except far less talented and an even bigger pain in the backside) and they should clash nicely. I think that BJ takes him out on his feet, but it would be a neat fight on the ground too.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on BJ. Sky is/was the limit with this guy and he never seems to do the work needed in training. He's gotten by mediocre fighters on pure talent alone, but doesn't put in the training all the time to beat the elite fighters. I mean for god's sake the guy fought Machida giving up 30lbs years ago!!! BJ will fight anyone, but just needs to train better.

I really thought Dana was going to have BJ fight Fitch again, but I dont see Diaz doing any damage to BJ in this fight.

fedor vs monson....nov 12 in M-1

i guess we haven't seen the last of Fedor yet.

Lets hope Fedor moves to New Mexico, meets a guy named Greg Jackson and trains like a mad man for this fight. Shows up in shape with a great game plan and puts Monson away.

Or some version of that story. Come down out of the mountains, get a strength and conditioning coach, a boxing coach, etc etc.

edited to add;

Maybe he could swing by Hawaii and kidnap B.J. on the way to New Mexico.....

Last edited:
The whole problem with Fedor's training is global warming. I'm serious! As the Russian tundra has warmed up, the big, healthy bears have become thin and wiry in order to survive in their new habitat. When Fedor returns to his Fortress of Solitude for his camp, he doesn't have any good partners to train with any more.

Then he needs to move to Nepal and start training with the Yeti's. As an added bonus he will also be at high altitude.

I hope he does something--he's too young to just fade away like this.

I'm watching the Strikeforce undercard on HDNet now, and it looks like there's free Showtime for the main event. Good times!

All of a sudden I am much more interested in the Strikeforce HW GP. I have been very impressed with Cormier's progression. His striking is looking great. The finals look to be a good match up. If Barnett can get Cormier down he should claim the win but that is a big "if". Cormier has been able to dictate where his fights take place but he has never been matched against a fighter with the skill set and experience of Barnett. The Barnett/Kharitonov fight ended the way I expected. What I did not expect was that Barnett was going to trade standing strikes for as long as he did. It looked like he got caught a few times- not flush but enough to stun him.

Rockhold took it to Jacare. Jacare looked ferocious before the title, not so much since. A matter of competition? King Mo doesn't do anything for me. Roger Gracie should rethink his venture into MMA. Really. World class BJJ with no other skills in your set leaves one laying on the mat while the other guy celebrates.

I watched the first few fights of Bellator 49 but was not too excited. Maybe the later fights were better? Anyone catch them?

fedor vs monson....nov 12 in M-1

i guess we haven't seen the last of Fedor yet.

Ugh, this is a fight that doesn't even remotely interest me.

Fedor can destroy Monson, we've already seen the last of Fedor. His legend is dead. He'd have to win a UFC belt to resurrect it.

I do wish he'd get a serious camp, I find it more disturbing he is fighting in Russia, I think he'll be in worse shape than he was in StrikeForce.

Fedor should destroy Munson but I'm not sure he will. Jeff will be the bigger fighter in better shape.

It looks like the odds are tightening up. I feel like Shields is in a good position to win the fight, but you have to wonder how his dad's death has affected him. On the other hand, Ellenberger is hot and I don't think it's too unlikely for him to pull the upset.

I'm betting that you're not betting on Shields--at least not to win!

Last edited:
Top Bottom